• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Maxx Appreciation Thread
4 4

767 posts in this topic

MTV Classic has started replaying The Maxx animated series. Sam told me that he watched it recently with some kids and they didn't care for it since it wasn't made by Pixar (his words). I think it still holds up pretty well.

I believe it's one of the finest examples of a comic coming to life. Page to screen translation was flawless. Sam was at the helm and the voice acting was incredible. The only way to improve upon it would be to remaster it into an HD widescreen version. There were also several early CG shots that could stand a modern makeover.

Describe what it was like for me to meet Sam Kieth.

I don't want to gush on and on, so keep in mind my experience is biased, he really is one of my favorite artists, and as a collector, I am enamored.

His flight was delayed, and the reps kept it real by stating that there is a possibility of him not making it on Friday. Everyone who was in line had left a couple of times as news of his flight delays were laid out. However, he did make it, and he did sit down and greeted his fans.

The people first in line were those that purchased prints that he first released on his blog that he would be selling at the con. My wife bought one for her office and I picked up one for myself. The reps had set up where if you bought a print for signing or a sketch, they gave you a ticket and you could come up. We were about 5th in line, and the first 5 people wanted sketches. We stood there for a good hour and I was quite content to just stand there and watch the master interact.

Now, I have not met a lot of artists and I haven't been to many cons in my life. I did have the chance to get some work signed by Erik Larsen and Jae Lee before Sam showed up. Now those guys were totally cool, Larsen was who I saw first, I presented ASM 346&347 and told him the story of how those were the first comics I ever picked up and purchased. He asked if they were the originals and we had a chuckle when I said, no those are probably lining someone's birdcage. The ones I brought were CGC graded ones I cracked out. I also had him sign a Savage Dragon #1. He was a great guy, shook his hand and was genuinely nice.

I am familiar with Jae Lee, mostly from Youngblood and other early 90's image work. What I did not realize was that he did some work on MCP and since I had my MCP run 85-92 that I wanted Kieth to sign, I decided to get him to sign them as well. So as I plopped down 8 or so books for him to sign, I apologized that I wasn't prepared and he was totally cool, stating "I need some time to sketch, you are doing me a favor". Just a great guy. When I was ready he said I was too quick lol

So those two are the first artists I have ever gotten to sign books for me.

Then there was Sam Kieth. When he first sat down and saw the first 8 people or so at the table, he looked at me, smiled and said, I've seen you before, haven't I? I smiled and said, No I don't think that is possible, I've come down from Canada.

He chuckled and said, Oh no, I suppose we haven't met then. He then went on to sketch while other fans gushed around him. He had only kind words to say, and he was really interested in the things that people presented to him. He answered questions kindly about his work and thought processes. When it came time for my first books to be signed, he remarked on which books I had brought, which happened to be the MCP issues. I told him how Cyber was my favorite villain and he remarked how not many people liked the character. When I asked him to sketch a Cyber head on one issue, he accepted the task immediately and joyfully, explaining the process how it was like Wolverine to him.

Later on in the night he agreed to sign all the things I brought and he was exceptionally kind to me. I'll go into detail on another part of the site to my experience. My personal experience with the man himself, it was a highlight in my life that I won't forget. He is the type of person I wish I could be. His outlook on life is that of a person who understands the good things in life and concepts that people could all get along if they tried. You cannot help but smile when talking with him. Just a gentle and genuinely super person. A person you want to be friends with and share stories with. His hand when drawing seems to move on it's own, and he has a grasp of texture, lol was funny to watch him unconsciously reach for tools that weren't there. When he was at that table, he could have easily been sitting in his own studio at home. That's how calm and serine he was.

I am not sure, due to the events of his arrival and other things, if he will be doing shows again. I am glad I got my collection completion, but I really hope he does come back again in the future. The community is missing out without his presence. He really is someone art fans should meet.

really though... this warms my heart. thanks for that.