• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stan Lee Signatures

29 posts in this topic

Placement yes, legibility no! Thinner marker would have been a better choice. I know people want a bold Stan sig, but at this stage I just want a legible one and willing to go for a thinner marker to make that happen.

You will always want/need a cover, so if you are going to slab it, at least you can look at it.

Plus if he botches his signature, you can always get a new reproduction cover, while your original FF1 guts remain unblemished :frustrated:

In this particular case, my preference would be to have him sign the splash page in a ballpoint pen. I would then take a picture of the splash page with the signature before having it graded. I would likely print out a photo of the splash page and tuck it behind the slab in the bag once it got back from Sarasota. This way, you've got a great, un-obscured view of the repro cover, Stan signed the actual book and not an aftermarket copy, you can still enjoy the way the signature looks via the photo, and the label will still indicate that Stan Lee signed the book.

I got my ASM 14 signed in this fashion several years ago at a Stan Lee signing I was working. I love it and would probably do more books this way if I ever make it to another Stan signing.

I'm not sure facilitators take this kind of request, so it's definitely something to ask in advance.

Update: I saw Stan Lee this past weekend and asked him before I gave him my book if he would use the pen I was holding to sign it, no problems. The key with Stan is to use an ultra fine tip marker, pen may rip the paper because of how hard he pushes. The clarity of the sig and size came out amazing! Pictures will follow in next post.

Here is my coverless FF1 with a custom reproduction cover. I also had Stan and other artists use my own Sharpies. I have moved away from regular sharpies and have moved towards using Sharpies Extreme line, which are supposed to be more fade and water resistant.

Sharpie Extreme. As you can see Stan's sig is big and squished a little, can't read the 2 E's in Lee.

image_zpscwxs5tb7.jpeg

Pigma Micron 08 archival and acid free, you can see the difference in the size and clarity of the signature.

image_zpspncw2fje.jpeg