• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TOP 5 GRAILS - THAT YOU DON'T OWN
1 1

265 posts in this topic

1. Tales of Suspense 39 (Raw or any grade) - Iron Man is my favorite character, totally relatable. It's a shame I don't have his first appearance. :(

2. Uncanny X-Men 1 (Raw or 5.0 above) - X-Men started my comic hobby, and it should only be fitting that I own their first appearance.

3. Sandman 1 (CGC 9.9 or 9.8 SS Gaiman/McKean/Kieth) - Sandman is the greatest comic of all-time and I am a Vertigo collector. So I just got to have an impressive slab of Sandman 1. Currently, I just have a CGC 9.6.

I can make an argument for The Walking Dead 1, TMNT 1, GSX 1, IH 181 but the above-three mentioned are my priority.

I can also include Action Comics 1, Detective Comics 39, but I just know that's outside the realm of possibility for me.

:)

For me they would have to be:

1. Amazing Fantasy 15 (5.0 or higher) - This is my ultimate grail

2. Fantastic Four 1 (5.0 or higher)

3. X-Men 1 (6.0 or higher) - Probably the most achievable grail in this list

4. Brave and the Bold 28 (6.0 or higher) - Justice League of America was the comic that got me into collecting (JLA 112 to be specific..."100 pages for only 60 cents"...what a deal!)

5. Showcase 4 (5.0 or higher)

I call most of these books (except for maybe X-Men 1) "lottery" books, because I would only be able to spend the money needed to buy them if I won the lottery... lol

On 1/8/2006 at 9:44 AM, Scrooge said:

yay.gif Thank you guys. Everyone else chiming in sounded so definitive, like Mica on a safari, intent on bagging specific targets than I felt not sanguine enough for being allowed to stay on the boards. I feel better now. I can go back to entering posts no-one replies to thumbsup2.gif

More seriously, there are too many books I'd rather have than some of the most sought after ones listed here. As for the reason ... I have the Cap America (since Timulty mentioned him) Classic Years collections with the S&K stuff and I could barely read them. I would love to have a Cap 1 but the story isn't that good. Heck I also sold my Shazam! archives to Timulty since the stories didn't grab me either. I bought the JLA Showcase DC put out and have not yet been able to finish reading even the first story!! I understand the collectability (sp?) of these books as Norinn would say is from their historical importance but for a book to be a grail to me it would need BOTH historicality and readability. So, can you guys give me a list of some books that meet both criteria. I have never read the Flash story in Showcase 4. Is it any good? Tim, anyone, ...

I have owned at least a thousand GA books at one time or another and tried to read them all. In most cases it was not possible to finish even one story per book. There are exceptions of course: EC, Disney, Classics Illustrated (many were surprisingly well done), Captain Marvel (easily the best drawn and written of the GA majors).

On 5/15/2017 at 10:25 PM, oakman29 said:

Detective Comics 27

Action Comics 1

All American Comics 16

I've got many books that some would consider grails, but those three are truly my grails. Maybe someday I could at least own a Tec 27 . Other than Spidey, Batman is the sheit.

On 5/16/2017 at 4:51 AM, Roddulate said:

Marvel Mystery 9 (Just love the cover)

Superman 1

Captain America 1 

All-American Comics 61 

Detective Comics 31 

Suspense 3 

Suspense 3 you have very good taste along with the rest (thumbsu