• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Treasuries
5 5

1,079 posts in this topic

Does anyone know which country the treasury on the left is from?

esb_zpsnvcynbgd.jpg

I purchased the book from Australia, but since Australia also sold books published in the U.K. I am wondering if this isn't a U.K. copy.

These are U.S. Editions... "Parkes Run" was apparently a publisher/packager of colouring books in the 1980s. There are a number of Marvel Treasuries with their name on it... I assume these are like the Whitman books, printed at the same time as the standard editions, and not reprints per se.

Having said that, the Parkes Run Empire treasury that I have seen elsewhere has a cover price, so yours is somewhat unusual, and I suppose it could have been printed for the international market.

You can see some other Parkes Run editions here, including an Empire edition:

http://www.treasurycomics.com/gallery/galleryMARVELlicensed.htm

Edited by Brock

I was at an auction this weekend, and I finally managed to snag the top two items on my Bronze Age wish list!

FFEHCAC_zpsklvsml48.jpg

SvMA_zpsrtvorh3p.jpg

I've had the opportunity to buy each of these in the past, but passed on them due to the condition and the price they were asking. Both of these cost me at (or near) full retail, but it was worth it.

I've never before been able to find a Famous First Edition Hardcover that didn't have rips and tape repair on the dust jacket, so even though this one was a little scuffed in spots, it's definitely a keeper.

As for the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, I don't think I've ever come across a nicer copy than this one! The only downside is that the pages aren't bone-white, and are only off-white. Oh well, somehow I'd learn to love it. And come on, look at that pristine cover...how could you not!

I also picked up another lot of 11 Superman related treasury editions, and included was the Marvel Treasury #28 featuring Superman and Spider-Man in equally gorgeous condition, if not better (what, with white pages and all). That book alone is probably worth what I paid for the lot in its entirety, and it nicely finished off my other missing Superman treasuries for the collection.

All in all, it was a killer auction. I'm just glad I'm not a Batman focused collecter, as I would have ended up in the poor house if I was. The abundance of riches was just mind-boggling...

I was at an auction this weekend, and I finally managed to snag the top two items on my Bronze Age wish list!

FFEHCAC_zpsklvsml48.jpg

SvMA_zpsrtvorh3p.jpg

I've had the opportunity to buy each of these in the past, but passed on them due to the condition and the price they were asking. Both of these cost me at (or near) full retail, but it was worth it.

I've never before been able to find a Famous First Edition Hardcover that didn't have rips and tape repair on the dust jacket, so even though this one was a little scuffed in spots, it's definitely a keeper.

As for the Superman vs. Muhammad Ali, I don't think I've ever come across a nicer copy than this one! The only downside is that the pages aren't bone-white, and are only off-white. Oh well, somehow I'd learn to love it. And come on, look at that pristine cover...how could you not!

I also picked up another lot of 11 Superman related treasury editions, and included was the Marvel Treasury #28 featuring Superman and Spider-Man in equally gorgeous condition, if not better (what, with white pages and all). That book alone is probably worth what I paid for the lot in its entirety, and it nicely finished off my other missing Superman treasuries for the collection.

All in all, it was a killer auction. I'm just glad I'm not a Batman focused collecter, as I would have ended up in the poor house if I was. The abundance of riches was just mind-boggling...

Definitely one of the nicest hardcovers I've seen! Those are a challenge in grade. I wish Marvel had done HCs!

FFEHCAC_zpsklvsml48.jpg

SvMA_zpsrtvorh3p.jpg

Definitely one of the nicest hardcovers I've seen! Those are a challenge in grade. I wish Marvel had done HCs!

The same auction had the Detective Comics HC as well in the same condition, but I was already over my budget. Didn't have the WW one though. I don't think I've ever seen one of those in person. Might have had to make an exception to my budget if they did.

Edited by tomo