• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Suicide Squad movie coming
2 2

3,562 posts in this topic

Did Harry Potter have any issues with being shown in China?

Harry Potter books led to the president of China calling out cultural war.

China’s war against Harry Potter

Chinese President Hu Jintao waded into the culture wars yesterday, but not the same culture war that has distorted American politics. No, Hu’s worried that Western powers are waging a cultural war against China, and that advanced Western weaponry like Lady Gaga, Harry Potter, and the Transformers franchise are eating away at the cultural foundations of Chinese unity. According to various news sources, he has called upon Communist Party leaders to expand China’s own cultural output and achieve a global cultural influence "commensurate with its international status."

Although the movies made it into China, it sounds like it was a challenge at first due to cultural fears. Like little Harry would lead a revolution.

Extensive article about the progress of Suicide Squad at the box office, and projections what to expect.

FORBES.COM: 'Suicide Squad' 3rd Weekend Drop Is 2nd-Lowest For Genre This Year

Suicide Squad fell 52.1% on its third weekend of release, taking $20.8 million and raising its domestic cume to $262.4 million. Worldwide, the film topped $575 million this weekend after 17 days of release. Meaning it is certain to top $600 million next weekend, likely ending the weekend at around $615-620 million, depending on how well it holds on the weekdays, with a Japanese opening still to come in September. While the press coverage of the film continues to seek new ways to insist the numbers are bad, weak, or otherwise a sign of failure for the DCU, the latest numbers tell a different story and now make it clearer that the film will wind up with a strong final worldwide box office cume. Lets look at the numbers more closely, and talk about what they really mean for the film today and down the road

The 52.1% third-weekend domestic drop for Suicide Squad is the second-best hold among this years six superhero feature film releases. Deadpool, the only superhero film with a lower third-weekend decline than Suicide Squad, fell just 44.9% on its junior weekend in release. Of the remaining superhero films, Captain America: Civil War had a 54.7% fall, X-Men: Apocalypse dropped 56.6%, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice took a 54.5% dip, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows fell 63.5%. We could note that those other films faced third-weekend competition from the likes of Finding Dory, Angry Birds, The Conjuring 2, and Warcraft for example; but then wed also need to note Suicide Squad has faced daily competition from the Olympic Games as well as Jason Bourne, Sausage Party, and Petes Dragon to varying degrees, while playing during a month where box office attendance is typically smaller than the bigger summer months.

Suicide Squads third weekend domestic gross is also the seventh-biggest August weekend of all time for any film at this point or later during their domestic runs, and only five movies have ever had bigger August weekends at comparative points, those being The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight (which had two August weekends higher than Suicide Squads third weekend take), and The Dark Knight Rises.

And estimates on Japan and overall.

How much can Suicide Squad take in Japan? To oversimplify and make a lot of assumptions, I think the tone and style of the film seeming similar to a cross between Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, the presence of Batman and the Joker, plus Katanas presence in marketing will help the films prospects. Im betting its capable of pulling down roughly $15+ in Japan. Id guess itll take at least $10 million in Japan on the lower end of predictions, and maybe $20 million on the higher end, while the pre-Japan box office cume will be at least $650 million and possibly as high as $660+ million, for a final low/high tally of around $660/680 million worldwide and a mid-range of $670 million.

estimate is too low.

Now imagine if Warner Bros. was able to pull off a miracle, and break down the barrier with China? It's a pipe dream, as I have read some articles where they do not like the Enchantress character due to magic concerns. So it would go counter to their cultural teachings.

But maybe - maybe - it comes true.

Many people are saying that China might let the people watch Suicide Squad, many people are saying this, its true. Its a real shame. I think this movie would do big numbers there, yuuuuge. The biggest numbers, really. I know big numbers, I know all the biggest numbers, trust me. But I don't think its fair, our movie arrangement with China, they don't let us show American made movies there, but we eat tons of Chinese food here in America. That's so unfair. Sad.

lol

I finally saw it this weekend and thought it was good, not great/excellent but I enjoyed it. There were plenty of Joker scenes, not sure what people were expecting (Dark Knight amount of Joker apps?) but everyone's a professional movie watcher apparently lol If you haven't seen it, go see it, like with all movies, temper your expectations a little.

Jerome

Extensive article about the progress of Suicide Squad at the box office, and projections what to expect.

Suicide Squad fell 52.1% on its third weekend of release, taking $20.8 million and raising its domestic cume to $262.4 million. Worldwide, the film topped $575 million this weekend after 17 days of release. Meaning it is certain to top $600 million next weekend, likely ending the weekend at around $615-620 million, depending on how well it holds on the weekdays, with a Japanese opening still to come in September. While the press coverage of the film continues to seek new ways to insist the numbers are bad, weak, or otherwise a sign of failure for the DCU, the latest numbers tell a different story and now make it clearer that the film will wind up with a strong final worldwide box office cume. Let’s look at the numbers more closely, and talk about what they really mean for the film today and down the road…

The 52.1% third-weekend domestic drop for Suicide Squad is the second-best hold among this year’s six superhero feature film releases. Deadpool, the only superhero film with a lower third-weekend decline than Suicide Squad, fell just 44.9% on its junior weekend in release. Of the remaining superhero films, Captain America: Civil War had a 54.7% fall, X-Men: Apocalypse dropped 56.6%, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice took a 54.5% dip, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows fell 63.5%. We could note that those other films faced third-weekend competition from the likes of Finding Dory, Angry Birds, The Conjuring 2, and Warcraft for example; but then we’d also need to note Suicide Squad has faced daily competition from the Olympic Games as well as Jason Bourne, Sausage Party, and Pete’s Dragon to varying degrees, while playing during a month where box office attendance is typically smaller than the bigger summer months.

Suicide Squad’s third weekend domestic gross is also the seventh-biggest August weekend of all time for any film at this point or later during their domestic runs, and only five movies have ever had bigger August weekends at comparative points, those being The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight (which had two August weekends higher than Suicide Squad’s third weekend take), and The Dark Knight Rises.

How much can Suicide Squad take in Japan? To oversimplify and make a lot of assumptions, I think the tone and style of the film seeming similar to a cross between Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, the presence of Batman and the Joker, plus Katana’s presence in marketing will help the film’s prospects. I’m betting it’s capable of pulling down roughly $15+ in Japan. I’d guess it’ll take at least $10 million in Japan on the lower end of predictions, and maybe $20 million on the higher end, while the pre-Japan box office cume will be at least $650 million and possibly as high as $660+ million, for a final low/high tally of around $660/680 million worldwide and a mid-range of $670 million.

estimate is too low.

Now imagine if Warner Bros. was able to pull off a miracle, and break down the barrier with China? It's a pipe dream, as I have read some articles where they do not like the Enchantress character due to magic concerns. So it would go counter to their cultural teachings.

But maybe - maybe - it comes true.

If that were really the case, then Doctor Strange would be banned in China also.

Dr Strange doesn't have a release date for China:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1211837/releaseinfo

If Disney knew Doctor Strange wouldn't be shown in China because of the whole magic angle, then they must realize this could possibly prevent future Avengers films from making it to China based on Doctor Strange's appearance in them. The whole thing seems crazy to me. If Harry Potter made it to China, I really don't see why the Enchantress would be a reason to pull SS. Harry Potter was all about magic, whereas only a small portion of SS is.

If Disney knew Doctor Strange wouldn't be shown in China because of the whole magic angle, then they must realize this could possibly prevent future Avengers films from making it to China based on Doctor Strange's appearance in them. The whole thing seems crazy to me. If Harry Potter made it to China, I really don't see why the Enchantress would be a reason to pull SS. Harry Potter was all about magic, whereas only a small portion of SS is.

Have we actually seen Marvel Studios rush to the 'magic spells' path? Not until recently with the Scarlet Witch. And even then, her influence was limited.

But the reality is depending on the cultural fears of Chinese leaders, at times it will come down hard on such topics. Crazy, I know!

Harry Potter books led to the president of China calling out cultural war.

China’s war against Harry Potter

Chinese President Hu Jintao waded into the culture wars yesterday, but not the same culture war that has distorted American politics. No, Hu’s worried that Western powers are waging a cultural war against China, and that advanced Western weaponry like Lady Gaga, Harry Potter, and the Transformers franchise are eating away at the cultural foundations of Chinese unity. According to various news sources, he has called upon Communist Party leaders to expand China’s own cultural output and achieve a global cultural influence "commensurate with its international status."

Although the movies made it into China, it sounds like it was a challenge at first due to cultural fears. Like little Harry would lead a revolution.

Have we actually seen Marvel Studios rush to the 'magic spells' path? Not until recently with the Scarlet Witch. And even then, her influence was limited.

And one could suggest that the "magic spells" angle would have been further decreased if Marvel studios was able to reference mutants...

I wonder what the international marketing contingency plan for "Shazam" will be?

Maybe The Rock should just do "The Fall Guy" reboot instead.

Anybody catch "The Fall Guy" binge on Decades this weekend?

"This is the story of one of America's great unsung heroes..."

Lee Majors said in a recent interview he was "getting close to a knee replacement" due to all the stunt work he'd done in the past. You just know what that surgeon's going to say right before the operation starts...

Suicide Squad fell 52.1% on its third weekend of release, taking $20.8 million and raising its domestic cume to $262.4 million. Worldwide, the film topped $575 million this weekend after 17 days of release. Meaning it is certain to top $600 million next weekend, likely ending the weekend at around $615-620 million, depending on how well it holds on the weekdays, with a Japanese opening still to come in September. While the press coverage of the film continues to seek new ways to insist the numbers are bad, weak, or otherwise a sign of failure for the DCU, the latest numbers tell a different story and now make it clearer that the film will wind up with a strong final worldwide box office cume. Let’s look at the numbers more closely, and talk about what they really mean for the film today and down the road…

The 52.1% third-weekend domestic drop for Suicide Squad is the second-best hold among this year’s six superhero feature film releases. Deadpool, the only superhero film with a lower third-weekend decline than Suicide Squad, fell just 44.9% on its junior weekend in release. Of the remaining superhero films, Captain America: Civil War had a 54.7% fall, X-Men: Apocalypse dropped 56.6%, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice took a 54.5% dip, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: Out of the Shadows fell 63.5%. We could note that those other films faced third-weekend competition from the likes of Finding Dory, Angry Birds, The Conjuring 2, and Warcraft for example; but then we’d also need to note Suicide Squad has faced daily competition from the Olympic Games as well as Jason Bourne, Sausage Party, and Pete’s Dragon to varying degrees, while playing during a month where box office attendance is typically smaller than the bigger summer months.

Suicide Squad’s third weekend domestic gross is also the seventh-biggest August weekend of all time for any film at this point or later during their domestic runs, and only five movies have ever had bigger August weekends at comparative points, those being The Sixth Sense, The Blair Witch Project, Guardians of the Galaxy, The Dark Knight (which had two August weekends higher than Suicide Squad’s third weekend take), and The Dark Knight Rises.

How much can Suicide Squad take in Japan? To oversimplify and make a lot of assumptions, I think the tone and style of the film seeming similar to a cross between Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy, the presence of Batman and the Joker, plus Katana’s presence in marketing will help the film’s prospects. I’m betting it’s capable of pulling down roughly $15+ in Japan. I’d guess it’ll take at least $10 million in Japan on the lower end of predictions, and maybe $20 million on the higher end, while the pre-Japan box office cume will be at least $650 million and possibly as high as $660+ million, for a final low/high tally of around $660/680 million worldwide and a mid-range of $670 million.

Going back and looking at the 2016 dropoff rates for comic book movies, it's clear Deadpool is the winner for best dropoffs overall. The biggest 'loser' is X-Men: Apocalypse, as Fox yanked the movie from wide distribution on 7/28. That means it is the shortest general run rate, lasting only 63 days, or 9 weeks. Though it is still available overseas and in limited distribution across the domestic market.

MsqH3rk.png

Bosco, have you looked at weekend revenue % vs the sum of the weekend market?

And doesn't the weekend comparisons favor "school time" releases vs holiday releases (since some of the audience can more easily spread to weekdays during the Summer/break times?

these are the things I think about.... there's something wrong with me!

And doesn't the weekend comparisons favor "school time" releases vs holiday releases (since some of the audience can more easily spread to weekdays during the Summer/break times?

these are the things I think about.... there's something wrong with me!

lol

I think as a stats person you just like to stratify the data as low as it will go. No harm there.

:foryou:

As far as weekend dropoff favoring holiday or summer releases over general period, maybe. But then also during holidays and time off there are many that won't even bother with a theater because they are traveling or visiting family. So going to the theater isn't high on the priority list when you want to see the sights or engage in family conversations. I wouldn't assume more time off means more time to see movies.

See why not to overthink these things?

:baiting:

Going back and looking at the 2016 dropoff rates for comic book movies, it's clear Deadpool is the winner for best dropoffs overall. The biggest 'loser' is X-Men: Apocalypse, as Fox yanked the movie from wide distribution on 7/28. That means it is the shortest general run rate, lasting only 63 days, or 9 weeks. Though it is still available overseas and in limited distribution across the domestic market.

MsqH3rk.png

9 weeks is a pretty sad #.

lol

I think as a stats person you just like to stratify the data as low as it will go. No harm there.

Ok so I ran it, blah, not interesting...

As far as weekend dropoff favoring holiday or summer releases over general period, maybe. But then also during holidays and time off there are many that won't even bother with a theater because they are traveling or visiting family. So going to the theater isn't high on the priority list when you want to see the sights or engage in family conversations. I wouldn't assume more time off means more time to see movies.

OK so I ran a quick sample with two examples (I know not enough data, but it's a start to see if it's something.

I used Jurassic World as my "Summer" movie (opened June 12), and I used Furious7 as my "School" movie (opened April 3). Both 2015 movies, so working in the same market system.

I looked at the first 8 weeks and averaged the percentage of weekend revenue vs total week revenue.

JWorld: 67.25% of its weekly revenue came from the weekend

Furious7: 77% of its weekly revenue came from the weekend.

10% difference is not nothing! Going to run more examples, trying to limit it to 8 week periods that dont straddle the two times (Summer/School) but also dont hit christmas, and trying to avoid periods with 3 day weekends... since they skew results a bit. But averaging it over 8 weeks should mitigate it.

Point being comparing a summer movie's weekend results vs a spring movies weekend results favors the summer movie since a lower % of its money spreads to the week days.

MsqH3rk.png

Agreed, I wondered for a second if it had some deal with the theaters for # of screens for distribution and it was "moving out of the way" for something else big...

The big hit was from week 4 to week 5 when it went from 1670+ theaters to 630, which was to make room for Foxes next big hit...

Independance Day 2: Where is Will Smith?

ouch. Outside of Deadpool it was a baaaaaaad year for Fox.

lol

Ok so I ran it, blah, not interesting...

OK so I ran a quick sample with two examples (I know not enough data, but it's a start to see if it's something.

I used Jurassic World as my "Summer" movie (opened June 12), and I used Furious7 as my "School" movie (opened April 3). Both 2015 movies, so working in the same market system.

I looked at the first 8 weeks and averaged the percentage of weekend revenue vs total week revenue.

JWorld: 67.25% of its weekly revenue came from the weekend

Furious7: 77% of its weekly revenue came from the weekend.

10% difference is not nothing! Going to run more examples, trying to limit it to 8 week periods that dont straddle the two times (Summer/School) but also dont hit christmas, and trying to avoid periods with 3 day weekends... since they skew results a bit. But averaging it over 8 weeks should mitigate it.

Point being comparing a summer movie's weekend results vs a spring movies weekend results favors the summer movie since a lower % of its money spreads to the week days.

Your assumption with this model is all movies should experience the same revenue run rate. Unfortunately, that is not always the case depending on marketing, unique content, built-in fanbase.

But it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

MsqH3rk.png

Agreed, I wondered for a second if it had some deal with the theaters for # of screens for distribution and it was "moving out of the way" for something else big...

The big hit was from week 4 to week 5 when it went from 1670+ theaters to 630, which was to make room for Foxes next big hit...

Independance Day 2: Where is Will Smith?

ouch. Outside of Deadpool it was a baaaaaaad year for Fox.

The domestic gross was awful. It's a good thing they did well overseas.