• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

Watching The Tick Returns Right Now!!! Woot! Woot!

https://t.co/0NXVvGWeN8

...wait...what kind of suit is that in the suitcase???

Oh you'll see. :popcorn:

Okay. I saw that free first episode.

- I get it now why people think The Tick is Arthur's imagination - like in Fight Club.

- The Tick's dramatic superhero speak actually seems to work so far.

- Arthur's battle suit is actually really cool - but still corny.

I'd watch more of this to see if it comes together. Which surprises me as from the early images I didn't think I would care for this show.

:whee:

At first I thought that the suit in the suitcase that the thugs were looking at was a prototype bullet-proof suit of ...The Tick? Especially since earlier in the episode The Tick looks into Arthur's eyes and says that he already has the suit?

Watching The Tick Returns Right Now!!! Woot! Woot!

https://t.co/0NXVvGWeN8

...wait...what kind of suit is that in the suitcase???

Oh you'll see. :popcorn:

Okay. I saw that free first episode.

- I get it now why people think The Tick is Arthur's imagination - like in Fight Club.

- The Tick's dramatic superhero speak actually seems to work so far.

- Arthur's battle suit is actually really cool - but still corny.

I'd watch more of this to see if it comes together. Which surprises me as from the early images I didn't think I would care for this show.

:whee:

At first I thought that the suit in the suitcase that the thugs were looking at was a prototype bullet-proof suit of ...The Tick? Especially since earlier in the episode The Tick looks into Arthur's eyes and says that he already has the suit?

It actually is sharper than I would expect Arthur to have since he is supposed to be a wanna-be hero. The design they came up with seemed more advanced than that.

WAR OF THE INDEPENDENTS #1 WITH THE TICK

5xjris.jpg

WAR OF THE INDEPENDENTS, A GATHERING STORM NO. 1. COVER DATE OCTOBER 1, 2011. RELEASED BY RED ANVIL COMICS. Five years in the making! Dave Ryan's magnum opus is finally here! For the first time ever in a single comic series, The War of the Independents brings together over 200 independent and creator-owned comic characters for the largest, most ambitious, inter-company crossover ever! When villains attempt to create an inter-dimensional doorway for world conquest, they wind up confronting a plethora of heroes from across the muiltiverse to stop them. Indie characters include Madman, Faust, Captain Canuck, Tick, Gumby, E-Man, Zen, Badger, Too Much Coffee Man, Scud, and many, many more! Dave Ryan (Artist, Writer), Franchesco! (Penciler), John Higgins (Inker, Penciler), Mariano Nicienza (Penciler), Peter Palmiotti (Inker), Wilson Ramos, Jr. (Colorist, Letterer). Characters: 10th Muse, Ant, Atomika, Aym Geronimo, Badger, Bedbug, Black Flag, Bomb Queen, Buzzboy, Calibre, Captain Action, Captain Canuck, Cassie Hack, Cerebus, Chesty Sanchez, Crazy Mary, Critter, Cyberfrog, Dreadlocks, E-Man, El Gato Negro, Eudaemon, Ezra, Faust, FemForce, Fishnet Angel, Flaming Carrot, Fone Bone, Freezerburn, Gearhead, Glittergirl, Gullveig, Gumby, Jetta, Johnny Raygun, Kade, Kane, Koni Waves, Lazerman, Liberty Girl, Lucius Down, Madman, Magnitude, Maxx, Mazscara, Megaster, Megaton Man, Mercy Sparx, Meriem Cooper, Milk and Cheese, Mr. Monster, Nira-X, Nothingface, Orcus, Pandora Doll, Phazer, Phoney Bone, Pokey, Razorjack, Reata, Reid Fleming, Rook, Scud, Shadowflame, Shadowhawk, Shaloman, Shi, Smiley Bone, Sniper, Sonambulo, Spektral, The Living Corpse, The Pro, THE TICK, Tiger Wraith, Too Much Coffee Man, Toy Boy, Usagi Yojimbo, Vlad, Wargod, Warrior Nun Areala, Witch Hunter, Wraith, Xenya, Xstacy, Yellow Jacket, Zen, Zippy the Pinhead

Shame Tick didn't make either cover. Also, there are very few artists I can stand doing Maxx, this definitely does not cut it.

The neat thing is, these are both the front and back covers of the same comic book. Oh there he is...on the white background on the left hand side!

SCREEN RANT Amazon Pilot Season 2016 Reviews: The Tick

The Tick

Possibly the most high-profile and seemingly audience friendly of the Amazon pilots, The Tick is the third television series to feature Ben Edlund’s nigh-invulnerable blue-suited doofus superhero. The latest incarnation sees British actor Peter Serafinowicz as the titular crime fighter, while his diminutive sidekick Arthur is played by up-and-coming actor Griffin Newman (so many Griffins in this pilot season). For his part, Serafinowicz puts on quite a show, revealing an entirely unexpected gear as an actor as the barely contained contempt for others that typically defines his characters is tossed aside to make room for a huge and delightfully manic performance that sets the tone for the entire series.

Despite the necessary grandiosity of Serafionwicz’ performance, it might be Newman who steals the show, as he quietly turns Arthur’s usual wet blanket-ness into something more fascinatingly mournful – in spite of its obvious allusions to Fight Club or Mr. Robot. This turn plays well as the series seems to be told largely from Arthur’s perspective, positioning him as a young man taking the first steps to coming to terms with the trauma of his father’s death.

Of all the pilots, The Tick is the one that played most like a typical television pilot – which is understandable considering the various introductions and backstories that had to be established – which leaves more questions about its future as a series. Still, terrific performances from Serafinowicz and Newman make it easy to say, “yes” to this one.

I do have to agree Arthur was the star of the show with the pilot.

SCREEN RANT Amazon Pilot Season 2016 Reviews: The Tick

The Tick

Possibly the most high-profile and seemingly audience friendly of the Amazon pilots, The Tick is the third television series to feature Ben Edlund’s nigh-invulnerable blue-suited doofus superhero. The latest incarnation sees British actor Peter Serafinowicz as the titular crime fighter, while his diminutive sidekick Arthur is played by up-and-coming actor Griffin Newman (so many Griffins in this pilot season). For his part, Serafinowicz puts on quite a show, revealing an entirely unexpected gear as an actor as the barely contained contempt for others that typically defines his characters is tossed aside to make room for a huge and delightfully manic performance that sets the tone for the entire series.

Despite the necessary grandiosity of Serafionwicz’ performance, it might be Newman who steals the show, as he quietly turns Arthur’s usual wet blanket-ness into something more fascinatingly mournful – in spite of its obvious allusions to Fight Club or Mr. Robot. This turn plays well as the series seems to be told largely from Arthur’s perspective, positioning him as a young man taking the first steps to coming to terms with the trauma of his father’s death.

Of all the pilots, The Tick is the one that played most like a typical television pilot – which is understandable considering the various introductions and backstories that had to be established – which leaves more questions about its future as a series. Still, terrific performances from Serafinowicz and Newman make it easy to say, “yes” to this one.

I do have to agree Arthur was the star of the show with the pilot.

Really nicely stated. I'm sure Ben Edmund and his people are waking up to a hot cup of coffee and reading this one. Great job and hope to see a lot more from them! Come on New England Comics let's get the comic book series going again!

Only 72 hours before the end of The Tick and Arthur Contest. Please pick a number from 1 to 100. The closest number picked wins and I will be announcing the winner on September 1, 2016. Just IM me with the address you would like to have it sent, and that's it. No costs, no shipping, just giving these guys a nice new home. Good luck Tick Fans!

bhhw02.jpg

By Craig Warrack, Customizer from Edinburgh, United Kingdom.

Venom is about 7" tall and made from a Shocker Toys The Tick figure. I bought this figure just out of curiosity and I liked the height and scale and just really wanted to try some differently engineered bodies to customise with. I changed his forearms out for SOTA Blanka's and replaced the lower legs with those from a Spider-Man Classics Stealth Venom.

I sculpted over the Tick's head and you can see some of that work in the WIP shot below.So it's all Milliput (on top of the Tick's original head), with toothpicks for the teeth and a piece of electrical wire coated in hot glue and magnetically attached to the back of the mouth. The tongue is bendable and removable. I just noticed that I didn't take any shots of him without the tongue, but you can see that in the WIP or on my Youtube channel if you want. I am very happy with how the head came out. It's exactly the look I wanted to capture. I surprised myself with this one.

He has two sets of hands; 1 clenched in fists, and the other open claws. These are SOTA Blanka's hands but I sculpted over the nails to make sure he didn't have that detail.

The symbol on his chest and back was time consuming as it is all hand painted.He also has 2 alternate heads.

The first is, as I mentioned above, from that iconic first appearance with the evil grin:I wasn't too happy with how this head came out, but I don't intend to display him with that head most of the time. I found it hard to capture the kind of bulbous, cartoony grin in three dimensions, but I think I took a good shot at it. This head was made from the alternate head that came with the Tick.

His other head is Eddie Brock. This is Eddie from his early appearances. He had this receding hairline and wicked, thick, black eyebrows (despite his golden blonde hair). I rooted through my fodder box for a long, long time, but just couldn't find any ML or DCUC, or even SOTA heads that looked right on that thick neck.

2q88ylt.jpg

Edited by vsndesigns