• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Hey Rick,

After all the older collectors are gone, are there new crops of people going to show up to buy collections.

I ask, because I have been dabbling...again...in pre-codes and ,though I like them, when it is time to sell will there be anyone around who will buy them?

I have been in and out of collecting a few times because I wonder if most of the books I buy will end up having to be buried with me because I am not sure the next generation will see value/nostalgia in obtaining the books.

Are there younger generations coming to your store and buying older stuff?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

there is certainly always going to be "collectors"....the real question is how many and for what genre/niche...

precodes are cool and should maintain some semblance of followers for a good bit of time to come, though no collectible is ever "safe"

I bet it would be more than OPG...... GOD BLESS.....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Who is Straw-Man, Jim?

I bet it would be more than OPG...... GOD BLESS.....

Who is Straw-Man, Jim?

Legend has it that he is a long legged, liquor drinking Lawyer with the finest tastes (shrug) GOD BLESS....

.....I'm told he won Daniel Webster's rent money in a game of 5 card stud......

..... and that he knows the whereabouts of the Church Suspense 3.....

.....and he once slapped the taste out of Chuck Norris' mouth....

....and, refusing his Father's advice, is still driving that Hot Rod Lincoln

Edited by jimjum12

There is no good reason for posting this here but...

c493600517256bd1990cc51cb4d35830f9815269.jpeg

That innocent drawing of CM by Beck reminded me of another "what if?" CC had been allowed to do more ERB work?

I'm not sure if this looks like what a violent version of Captain Marvel might appear as or what John Carter played by Fred Macmurray would have been.

Wonderful piece though.

Truly wonderful piece indeed, always a thrill to view obscure works from the GA master illustrators. Appreciate your sharing this.

Reminds me of a quote when someone asked animator Friz Freleng towards the end of his life if he was always aware of creating high art with his cartoons, Friz replied "High art? ...all we were trying to do was fill six minutes."

What do you think FMV Is on Tec 69 restored (let's say 5.0 slight/mod professional)?
4-5K probably

If this Joker cover is going for over 4X condition guide even in restored condition, what would it be going for in unrestored condition? hm

I could not find a Gator Kudos thread, although Rick is so well known and well respected, it is unlikely he needs one.

Anyway, I had the honor and privilege to meet Rick for the first time today at the Baltimore Comic Convention.

He is honest and friendly. In truth, I probably took up too much of his time.

I bought my first book of the day at New Force and after I agreed to buy the book, Rick lowered the price. You can't ask for a more honest person than Rick.

If someone has a link to a kudos thread for Gator, I would be happy to post over there. If not, then please accept this as my kudos to Rick.

I could not find a Gator Kudos thread, although Rick is so well known and well respected, it is unlikely he needs one.

Anyway, I had the honor and privilege to meet Rick for the first time today at the Baltimore Comic Convention.

I bought my first book of the day at New Force and after I agreed to buy the book, Rick lowered the price. You can't ask for a more honest person than Rick.

If someone has a link to a kudos thread for Gator, I would be happy to post over there. If not, then please accept this as my kudos to Rick.

Any picture of what you bought?

Just supply him with Coke Zero

was a pleasure as well. I never started a "kudos" thread but the kind words are appreciated!

I was looking at the prices for intro level copies of action 10 and 13 and they are both 5 figures. From what I can gather anyway. Do expect Action 15 to bump a bit as well? I sort of see it as they next best one to get after those covers for the pre 1940s.

Would you consider the pre Robin Tecs as a good comparison (people collecting the first X amount of covers).

Wonder Woman #1 seems to have overtaken Sensation Comics #1 in value. Do you see this as sustainable long term trend?

Also, sorry for a silly question, but what is a "Voldy" book?

Thanks!

he is referring to the infameous Voldemort holder.

and thats is one big can of worms....

Wonder Woman #1 seems to have overtaken Sensation Comics #1 in value. Do you see this as sustainable long term trend?

Also, sorry for a silly question, but what is a "Voldy" book?

Thanks!

I still price and value sens 1 over WW 1...don't think it has taken it over (shrug)

"voldy" is the name the board gives to cbcs graded books