• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,113 posts in this topic

Great pickup! :applause:

1955 was a great year for this title. The McCauley covers are outstanding. In the May issue, the blending of pinup and scifi blows my mind. McCauley, a confirmed bachelor most of his life, met his wife, Grace, when she came to his house on a modeling assignment. She is the stunning subject of many of his best cover paintings.

ImaginationMay1955c100_zps2pyghzy8.jpg

Wow that is so cool, I absolutely love his covers as well. A few of his original paintings sold in auction not too long ago. I believe the cover you posted was one of them. The other was the cover with the car crash scene between an alien and Earth lady.

The first two pulp-sized issues of Amazing Stories from Oct and Nov 1933. The previous 89 issues (not counting Quarterlies and Annuals) were bedsheet-sized. Cover art by Leo Morey.

These came from Frank Robinson's collection.

9jZS5edh.jpgtMXIvxIh.jpg

Shadow pulp from Argentina. I think the US version was from 1933, this one is from 1940.

039.jpg

Well that's super cool! Yep, the US version is from January 15 1933, the 22nd issue (out of 325).

tHhup8Kh.jpg

I guess this counts as a pulp, it's larger than a standard pulp, has pulpy cheap paper but has thicker cardstock like covers. I never have been able to find anything about it anywhere, but I assume it was a quick thing to try and cash on on the 1938 radio broadcast.

047.jpg

I guess this counts as a pulp, it's larger than a standard pulp, has pulpy cheap paper but has thicker cardstock like covers. I never have been able to find anything about it anywhere, but I assume it was a quick thing to try and cash on on the 1938 radio broadcast.

047.jpg

Whitman edition. I've seen dates ranging from 1938 to 1940's.

They show up. Here's a Heritage post on one.

https://historical.ha.com/itm/books/h-g-wells-the-war-of-the-worlds-racine-wi-whitman-publishing-company-1938-/a/201549-91086.s