• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing 678 Mary Jane variant....
2 2

1,475 posts in this topic

The book we are all talking about is my book. I'm not exactly in a rush to sell it. I make a very comfortable living, so money is not an issue. If I get anything over $1K, I'll be OK because that's what I personally paid for this book. If I never sell it, I'll proudly display this book with all my other hard to find 9.8 variants.

Right now the auction is for $3600 OBO. An obvious disclaimer is that I'm not a "pro" at selling anything on eBay or these forums. I do try and take whatever criticism in hand and at least tweak my listings as needed. So far everyone has given very good advice (even the person who likes to self congratulate), so thanks for paying attention and taking the time to post your thoughts here.

Why, thank you, kind sir....I happen to enjoy many other activities with myself, as well.But that is neither here or there....eh, whatever lol

My suggestion, as you're not in a rush to sell it/don't "need" the money, would be to remove the best offer option and just let the BIN sit at $3600.

If someone wants a CGC graded 9.8 copy of this book, yours is the only available CGC 9.8 and it is priced at what the last CGC 9.8 sold for.

New case, schmew case.

The case clearly has an inner well, it is not the 4/2016 new case version.

Since you said you don't have much experience selling books on eBay, I'll offer up the following advice...

With a book like this, if/when your BIN is hit or a best offer is accepted and you ship the book to the buyer, you do to have to be weary of mail fraud.

I would reject any offer from an eBayer who did not ample positive feedback and the buyer's account would have to be....eh, he'd have to had been around for a while i.e. not a buyer with 10 feedbacks and who had only registered on ebay within the last week or several months.

Hell, I'd refund a buyer who hit the BIN price if I wasn't convinced he was on the level...a buyer can always say the item was not as described and send you back a package with the equivalent weight of what the slab & packing material weighed....in about 15 copies of 1990's Playboy magazines.Or anything else he has lying around his house, for that matter.......Paypal might very well decide in his favor on a chargeback and leave you high and dry.

I'm careful of who I sell $100 books to on eBay, let alone $3600 books.

Personally, I'd just consign the book to Comic Link or Comic Connect.

Let them handle the sale via a Buy It Now listing on either one's web site.

No risk involved with that approach, you get the benefit of a reputable third party handling the transaction (no work on your end and buyer confidence is as good as can be)...

...and the fees shake out to be virtually identical to what eBay and PP charges...about 13%, all in.

I might go with the third party option... it actually makes the most sense. While I would love to sell it for anything OVER $1000, I recognize that the book has value to certain people. I still want to be able to capture as much value as I can. If the market takes a dump on my chest with this book... well, that's another story... I will let it ride on eBay for now at the BIN price of $3600 and then if it doesn't sell, I will look at comiclink or mycomicshop or some other 3rd party service.

As an aside, if I sell this thing for $1500 tomorrow, what will that do to the 90 day GPA? People are going to hate me. :)

I might go with the third party option... it actually makes the most sense. While I would love to sell it for anything OVER $1000, I recognize that the book has value to certain people. I still want to be able to capture as much value as I can. If the market takes a dump on my chest with this book... well, that's another story... I will let it ride on eBay for now at the BIN price of $3600 and then if it doesn't sell, I will look at comiclink or mycomicshop or some other 3rd party service.

As an aside, if I sell this thing for $1500 tomorrow, what will that do to the 90 day GPA? People are going to hate me. :)

Doesn't matter, GPA is only a research tool.

A lot of people who spend real money on CGC graded books don't even have a GPA subscription.Or know it exists.

But yeah, feel free to send me a PM.....sell the book to me for $1500 tomorrow...and I'll turn around and then I'll put it on eBay at $2500 for 3 days.If it doesn't move at $2500 then I'll consign it at $3600 lol

Doesn't matter, GPA is only a research tool.

A lot of people who spend real money on CGC graded books don't even have a GPA subscription.Or know it exists.

But yeah, feel free to send me a PM.....sell the book to me for $1500 tomorrow...and I'll turn around and then I'll put it on eBay at $2500 for 3 days.If it doesn't move at $2500 then I'll consign it at $3600 lol

DEAL :P

cmzare, I think you're doing the right thing at this point with your ebay listing. Not sure if you had but I would actually have tried ebay first with your desired BIN and make offer option. Sure you'll get a lot of low ball bids but it is also getting exposure, you're getting a look at different offers and seeing the floor price for the temperature of the book at this point, and can always pull it to list back on here or on one of the other auction houses should you want to try them.

Since you bought it for $1k, with ebay + paypal fees + shipping that includes insurance and signature your break even would be approximately $1185.

I would set a filter to auto decline anything below that amount or perhaps round up to $1200.

I would imagine you're receiving offers between $1000 to $2500 or a little higher. Sooner or later a whale or someone who wants it badly might pull the trigger or at least offer you 80-90% of your ask. You know you're guaranteed to at least double your money which is pretty good for a $1k short term investment.

Since you don't need to sell right this moment, you can wait as long as you like or accept the offer that suits you the best. GLWTS!

I'm shocked how much this book has went up. I sold my 9.8 SS signed 5x for $1800 about 4 years ago....and that was a huge sum for that book then. Maybe should've kept it....lol.

Still not a bad price though man.Who knows what a 5 x SS commands in today's market?

I'm shocked how much this book has went up. I sold my 9.8 SS signed 5x for $1800 about 4 years ago....and that was a huge sum for that book then. Maybe should've kept it....lol.

Still not a bad price though man.Who knows what a 5 x SS commands in today's market?

I only paid $200 for it raw...all in with sigs I was about $400 or so invested so I made out at the time. Not that sorry, but was a great book at the time...just not a lot of attention like now.

I only paid $200 for it raw...all in with sigs I was about $400 or so invested so I made out at the time. Not that sorry, but was a great book at the time...just not a lot of attention like now.

$200 all in with five sigs?!!?? That means no Stan so I guess the other sigs were cover artist, interior artist, Slott, jaydog & lethal collector?

:D

$200 all in with five sigs?!!?? That means no Stan so I guess the other sigs were cover artist, interior artist, Slott, jaydog & lethal collector?

Correction, I just looked at my pic of it and it was only 4 signatures...I remember wanting Quinones, but not able to get him. It had Stan Lee, Slott, Delgado, and Ramos. My mistake.

:roflmao:

Sorry guys. :foryou:

lol

I didn't even charge him for the sig!

Jerome

Edited by Lethal_Collector

lol

Jerome

lol don't you and Jay only collect blue labels?

lol

Jerome

lol don't you and Jay only collect blue labels?

I can sign books for SS. Yup. I'm published.