• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,080 posts in this topic

Short answer: Our Army at War was Kubert's main gig until about #207 in 1969. The only thing even close is his interior work in GIC until near the end of 1965 (#113). After that, he would only sporadically contribute to any of the interiors of all titles (unless you count reprints in the 80/100 pagers. . .and I don't). So a pivotal term in your questions is "usually." Even in OAAW, he usually was the artist between 1965-1969.

Of course, the dwindling interior stories that Kubert was tasked with had zero correlation with how truly prolific he was. It was at this time that Kubert's unprecedented contribution to the "face" of ALL DC war books was solidified. His covers became the norm rather than the exception for all the remaining Big-5 titles. Think late Star Spangled War Stories/ Unknown Soldier covers until the demise of the title. . .how many non-Kuberts can you think of vs Kuberts. A few here and there, but there just weren't all that many. Same with GIC, OFF, and OAAW. Kubert's tenure on all of the cover chores only ended when the titles folded.

I WISH Kubert did more of the interiors after 1969, but that's part of what makes the 1965 and earlier periods so amazing. Those early Kubert OAAWs are still some of the finest interiors of any genre from any era. Totally amazing!

Edited by Comick1

I went to the Long Beach comic con a few weeks ago. I got to spend quite a bit of time visiting with this gentleman here. :acclaim: And he signed my beat up copy of Showcase 45! Priceless now! :cloud9:

<a  href=20160918_125457_zpsfq36prsx.jpg' alt='20

I went to the Long Beach comic con a few weeks ago. I got to spend quite a bit of time visiting with this gentleman here. :acclaim: And he signed my beat up copy of Showcase 45! Priceless now! :cloud9:

<a  href=20160918_125457_zpsfq36prsx.jpg' alt='20

Very cool

:headbang: Me....jealous....

Its been waaaaay too quiet on this thread, so I'm going to tell a story. I was shocked today. I was running errands dressed low-key in jeans and my new Sgt. Rock t-shirt (with the image from OAAW 280). Ironically, one of those errands was picking up some comics that had arrived at my offsite mailbox. I also went to my dry cleaners, the grocery store, Target, and to Star$s. At every stop someone commented on the shirt. Every. Single. Stop. Age: younger than me (most looked millennial-ish). Both men and women. All positive. These were kids who were not even born when Rock stopped being regularly published. And they all liked the shirt. Not a character that's ever had a movie. Not the big names in comics. Not Batman, Superman, Spider-man, Wolverine. Just Sgt. Frank Rock, running toward them with Thompson blazing. Renewed my faith in the next generation of comic book readers...

That's page 12 from OFF #152 'A Small Place in Hell'. One of the best DC War tales of the bronze age, and it's a barn-burner from start to finish. Not everyone was a fan of Kirby on this title, but this is one of the most action-packed art jobs in the DC war pantheon.

Edited by bigfiver69