• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Infinite Bronze Horror Thread
16 16

Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Pick your four favorite Bronze Horror Title:

14,897 posts in this topic

I've had this one in my collection for 10+ years....hard to imagine there's only one 9.6s and no 9.8s available of this Wrightson goodie.

House of Mystery 213 CGC 9.4

Very lucky to have snagged this. It's been an endless game upgrading some of my "key" issues with Wrightson....

House of Mystery #231 CGC 9.8

Courtesy of our own greggy....

House of Mystery #236 CGC 9.6

Sadly the highest grade I have of 256 is 8.5.... :doh:

Wrightson's DC horror stuff is crazy good. A master of the macabre, every cover a masterpiece for two bits or less.

I also love the black and white magazine stuff he did, but the one work I can't get enough of is Freak Show, so good! :cloud9:

Beautiful books and great signature placement! They look great across the logos (hate to have anything distract from those fantastic covers), and Berni's autograph is a work of art all on its own!

Congrats again on the books. Well worth the wait!

Amazing books, BronzeParadise! HoM #204 :cloud9:

Picked up this from the 'Bay during the last week. Maybe from a fellow boardie? Either way, a nice book for the price point, and I'm really happy with it because this cover is :headbang:

29415059966_4dc85c30a0_b.jpg

linky to hi-res: link

Amazing books, BronzeParadise! HoM #204 :cloud9:

Picked up this from the 'Bay during the last week. Maybe from a fellow boardie? Either way, a nice book for the price point, and I'm really happy with it because this cover is :headbang:

29415059966_4dc85c30a0_b.jpg

linky to hi-res: link

Great pickup and great cover! I hope the story inside is just as good!

The interiors sometimes are a let down. There was a 9.6 CGC copy that sold a couple of weeks ago....[i passed on bidding].

Sadly, Bernie only did the cover on this one. The werewolf story still has pretty good art, though (Villamonte). Cruz has one well-drawn story and one that I don't care for at all. Neither hold a candle to Wrightson, though.

What did that 9.6 sell for, if you know?

Edited by Vorpal

$325, which is pretty healthy (but I've seen worse). Actually this was late July. Pretty much the first week I was observing the landscape again. I won't touch a copy unless it's a solid 9.8. Yours looks a like a 9.0/9.2 looking at the cover easy.

$325, which is pretty healthy (but I've seen worse). Actually this was late July. Pretty much the first week I was observing the landscape again. I won't touch a copy unless it's a solid 9.8. Yours looks a like a 9.0/9.2 looking at the cover easy.

The registry seems to be down right now, but I don't think that there are many slabbed 9.8's out there. If that's your goal, I wish you luck (truly)!

I think with a squish mine could be a 9.0 (upper left corner is a bit crunched but mostly NCB bends that don't show up in the scan). Probably more of an 8.5, though.

There are no 9.8s....but after doing the constant "upgrade shuffle" it does help minimize purchases when you set the standards high enough :)

The only consideration for 9.4/9.6 books are those in which there are no slabs in my inventory currently for the titles I'm 90%+ on. I actually sold a couple of 9.4s thinking I could snag the 9.8s in the market but kinda screwed that up.

Yeah, my thoughts of the grade was post press--there's quite a bit of stuff that can be helped with one if you so choose.

Here's my copy. Found this one raw at Wondercon. Definitely looking for an upgrade. Kinda wish I had seen that 9.6 in July. According to cgc census there is only 1 single 9.8, 1 single 9.6 and only 1 9.4 as well.

2uqnmg5.jpg

Lovely! :applause: +1 on wishing I had seen the 9.6... of course, had we both seen it then it might have gotten ugly lol

Let's kick off the weekend with more Wrightson. Just picked this up off of eBay (from a fellow boardie, it turns out). Nothing super high grade, just a solid book:

28949498703_74eea37886_b.jpg

Interestingly, it was manufactured without staples.

Cover:

29538722576_a2c2127b12.jpg

Centerfold:

29572743405_bff3cc4ef7.jpg

Pretty sweet, in my opinion!