• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why is there no Platinum Age Forum?
5 5

239 posts in this topic

Obviously these gems are very scarce, but as the era is referenced and therefore considered to have existed, it should be worthy of some discussion. Someone who participates here may even have an original they wish to share with the group. I feel it is an interesting period as one can see the experimentation and then trends beginning to emerge that eventually culminate in the beginning of the Golden Age.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

I think it's just that there hasn't been a demand for a Platinum section. If enough people request one, perhaps CGC will grant their wish.

I started a Platinum Age thread back in the crusty old days of 2014: Platinum Age comics thread . Good readin' if I do say so myself.

I also started a "All books pre June 1938" thread which I believe is still on the 1st page of the Gold forum. A lot of folks have posted on it, so it seems that there is plenty of interest in that material (thumbs u

Obviously these gems are very scarce, but as the era is referenced and therefore considered to have existed, it should be worthy of some discussion. Someone who participates here may even have an original they wish to share with the group. I feel it is an interesting period as one can see the experimentation and then trends beginning to emerge that eventually culminate in the beginning of the Golden Age.

Collecting of Platinum Age comics is still developing. Some see it as a dead end. Some see it as a historical frontier. The market for Platinum Age, as for all comics, will be driven by interest.

With the internet, we are learning that many Platinum comics were very popular at the time and are more common then we suspected, while many are proving very scarce and rare.

Would Platinum Comics flourish or waste away in their own forum?

Perhaps the main reason there is no Plat Forum here is that CGC does not slab them. Maybe both can be fixed...

Platinum Age Comics - Let's give it a try!

164020.jpg.b1587f7df17631a1884739786764b170.jpg

164021.jpg.54e325aa5e67b366aa9c9cdc50688f3a.jpg

164022.jpg.a77fd019ff9f3ffc620213b6342a8a63.jpg

164023.jpg.b8321fdaeb0b1f9dd6e26c3fa52135c0.jpg

164024.jpg.4e594d44bf83cff072d8ef9732661866.jpg

Definitely. I would very much welcome a Platinum forum, even if it gets very low traffic. My main motivation is that there is far too much talk about prices and values for my taste in the Gold forum: all those threads have less than zero interest for me and they are the reason I have largely stopped reading the CGC boards. On the other hand, I have a strong impression that platinum collectors generally are far more interested in history. Thus, such a forum would likely be a very convenient filter for the kind of posts that I find interesting.

I don't think t it will happen, but at least I wanted to say that you are not alone.

I knew that Scott (BOOT) had a fabulous collection, but I had no idea Roger that you had these.

I'm especially interested in the Special War Cartoons, if you'd care to share more about them.

Yeah, when I decided to sell off my comics to buy comic art, I kept the Plats since they (mostly) don't sell for much. Plus, I like the historic aspect of a lot of them. Pore Lil Mose is one of the most beautifully printed books you'll ever see!

The Special War Cartoons are WW1 era. They're either Australian or British, but I believe they were purchased in Australia. I don't have them in front of me, but, as I recall, they are all the same artist throughout, but nobody I had ever heard of. I love WW1 stuff, but there's just not a lot of it out there.

Pore Lil Mose is one of the most beautifully printed books you'll ever see!
He's right, it's a beautifully printed object - top of the heap. Some Plat books are so colorful and hefty that pictures don't do them justice. They provide lapfulls of reading. :sumo:

I like Plats because you can still find them in odd places, cheap.
(thumbs u

Thanks for the extra pictures! It looks fun and really uses the entire page in the book. This seems to be work original to this book, no?
Glad you liked them. Yes, it seems to be a complete original comic novelette. ;)

164047.jpg.5f6c4f011ed613796b29dbd393129eea.jpg

164048.jpg.8a3f5455a26b8e5ff9d90a2c3b5d7a20.jpg

Definitely. I would very much welcome a Platinum forum, even if it gets very low traffic. My main motivation is that there is far too much talk about prices and values for my taste in the Gold forum: all those threads have less than zero interest for me and they are the reason I have largely stopped reading the CGC boards. On the other hand, I have a strong impression that platinum collectors generally are far more interested in history. Thus, such a forum would likely be a very convenient filter for the kind of posts that I find interesting.

I couldn't have said it better myself. :golfclap: