• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harry's Marvellous Meanderings through the Comic Book World
1 1

347 posts in this topic

A tale of pithy reviews, low-grade abominations and generally fuzzy collecting.

Hi there.

I'd like to start a series of journal entries, cataloguing my comic book collection, reviewing them in an honest if perhaps uneducated way. Sharing random thoughts & purchases and generally boring you all along the way.

The aim is to perhaps attempt to focus what I want and what I get out from the genre and to alleviate the good people in the FF collecting thread from my inane ramblings.

See more journals by Harry_Lime

Hey, that worked! Thanks Ed for you excellent help and advice.

Anyway as I said this will be mainly short reviews of the books I currently own. Everyone has their own opinion of course so don't be afraid to share it here if you think I'm way off-base about something. I'm not easily offended, having been a moderator and admin on a gaming site for a number of years, I've been called most unmentionable things. This site is a relative oasis of calm for me.

I'll be reviewing the books in chronological order, reading them like that is something I've only recently started doing after splurging myself on FF's. It makes sense to me to do it like that to see and understand the gradual evolution of the Marvel universe and will hopefully add to the immersion factor.

First up is the oldest book I own

Fantastic Four #7 October 1962

My copy-Grade 2.5

ff7.jpg.2ddf9241ba6ba61f34d2a7e4418f2ffd.jpg

Cover: 4/5 ~Rioting mob and a Silver Age Spaceship!

Art:4/5 ~Kirby greatness on Planet X but there are panels that are quite plain. However giant robot & the Thing's original depiction just about swing this into the upper echelons.

Story:2/5 ~Pretty standard early 60's sci-fi. I'm sure Stan used that shrinking people ploy more than once. Good FF interaction early on (Ben griping about having to wear pants!) then Reed gets his big brain on to save the day.

Quote of the day "A portable self-contained TV receiver! AMAZING!!"

My assessment ~I love the FF so I'm keeping this one. Needs an upgrade though but as this is my earliest and there's six more before it, that will have to wait unless opportunity presents itself.

I aim to update this journal on a regular basis. Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

So a little background information. I'm well into my middle-ages, have been collecting comic books for about 2 1/2 years. Firstly from the LCBS in this area of Kent (very sparse pickings) then e-Bay (risky pickings) and a few months after I joined this forum, from here (quality pickings).

I first read Marvel books in the UK's Mighty World of Marvel back in the early 70's. This was a weekly publication that reprinted early Silver Age material (FF, Spidey, Hulk) in B&W format. That was good enough for me and I was hooked. Sometime after that I read my first American comic, ASM #33, my dad found it on the bus! I was astonished, not only one of the best stories ever but it was in colour! And it had a glossy cover! This blew all the drab British comics away. I would no longer be satisfied with their dreary, monochrome tales of chimney sweeps, horse ownership & croquet hoops (I jest, I jest) but seriously British comics of the 70's you need to up your game.

More later, thanks for reading.

Next is the jewel in my collection. :bigsmile:

Fantastic Four #14 May 1963

My copy-Grade 1.8

ff14.jpg.45979862d117e2eb656ab404f91ddae9.jpg

Cover:4/5 ~ Nice perspective, damsel in distress, underwater dome. What's not to like?

Art:4/5 ~ I really like the underwater scenes and the inventiveness of Namor's creatures + giant octopus!

Story:4/5 ~ Great, fast moving & action packed, Not a dull moment in this one . Namor is always a great character and we have the incredibly creepy Puppet Master as well. Which brings me to the only real gripe I have, would Ben really take Alicia on such a dangerous mission? In fact she's only there to 'sense' the real protagonist of the story.

Quote of the Day "Yeah? Well, I'm just shiverin' in my little pink booties!"

My assessment ~ Obviously in serious need of an upgrade. A raggedy, pence copy. Ugh, right? Yet, it's complete, everything is attached and for a time was my oldest book. It's a well loved book and deserves a good home in it's dotage.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

"Middle-ages"? Huh… lol

Hi, Claudio. Thanks for dropping by. :hi:

It maybe the middle-ages but it's definitely a renaissance.

To continue...well after finding that ASM I scoured the local newsagents for more of the same only to find there was a reason I'd never seen an actual American comic before; there were none to be found at least where I lived. I lived out in the sticks in the North-East of England then and I believe, although I don't know for certain, that the distribution of authentic Marvel books was confined to the metropolitan areas only. So I had to make do with hurried sorties into the WH Smiths at King's Cross station en route to family visits for my Marvel fix. I remember picking up a Claremont/Byrne X-Men, various Avengers and a FF where Reed loses his powers and is all floaty on the river (haven't re-read that one yet). My collecting was very limited and governed by how good the cover was. I did manage to find the pocket books published in 1977 compiling the early FF's & ASM. Man, I loved those so much. They really made me aware of what a vast body of work & continuity lay behind the tiny tip of Marvels that I had seen. I wanted to read them all but had no money or opportunity to do so back then.

Edited by Harry Lime

I still remember clearly when I read #7 as a child. It was among my favorites. :)

In hindsight, it is obviously meant to rekindle the "sense of wonder" of early science fiction, while "mainstream" science fiction in the 1960s was about to lose it (with the exception of a few authors), so I won’t say it was "pretty standard", not by science fiction means anyway.

I still remember clearly when I read #7 as a child. It was among my favorites. :)

In hindsight, it is obviously meant to rekindle the "sense of wonder" of early science fiction, while "mainstream" science fiction in the 1960s was about to lose it (with the exception of a few authors), so I won’t say it was "pretty standard", not by science fiction means anyway.

I thought Kirby's art does that, especially page 15, but the story falls kinda flat, imo. Still I value & welcome your opinion always. :)

It’s probably not the plot, but the overall atmosphere – aside from the magic you can get at age ten or so, the atmosphere is markedly different from all of the other stories (except, you guessed it, "The enfant terrible" that initially fools you but ends on the same wavelength of Kurrgo… with an added gracious humour. And a new alien race too…) :D

I'm not sure what's going on with the pictures, I wanted them smaller than normal but not that small. I've resized them, again, let's see what that looks like.

Journey Into Mystery #92 May 1963

My Copy- Grade 5.5

jim92.jpg.19a732a5bbfd9299e32e22b2f2eb8269.jpg

Cover:1/5 ~ Poorly drawn. I don't like the early version of bug-eyed Loki and Thor has about as much emotion in him as a dead fish.

Art: 2/5 ~ Run of the mill, really. Desperately missing Kirby's touch.

Story: 0/5 ~ Awful. Blake tricks gangsters with a 'he's behind you' routine, then makes a film & then proves he doesn't need his hammer by making ones out of wood & stone because Loki tricked him with the power of magnetism?. At least Stan isn't to blame but I can't find any redeeming qualities to this issue.

Quote of the Day ~ "Don't worry, Mr Jones! Dr. Blake is very experienced in using a mallet!!" Seriously, that's as good as it gets.

My assessment ~ Ugh, what a disappointment this book is. I love the Norse Sagas & Thor has been a favourite of mine since childhood but this book stinks. It's in good condition for it's age so, despite being somewhat of a completist, I'll be moving it on to pay for stuff that is actually worth reading.

Thanks for reading!

:news: SOLD!

Edited by Harry Lime

The size issue seems to be sorted out, let's stick to that for now.

Fantastic Four #16 July 1963

My Copy- Grade 3.0

ff16.jpg.4dc0353aa12193b6a106ca8b3c5862fb.jpg

Cover: 5/5 ~ Massive, malevolent Doom head? Our heroes just about to be crushed in his equally huge, plated fist? That wonderful red cover? What kid could have resisted buying this off the rack in '63?

Art: 3/5 ~ Some great fun is had with proportions both the FF's and Ant-Man's guest appearance & the splash page is wonderful. Nothing particularly Kirbtacular in this ish though.

Story: 3/5 ~ Great first act with the mystery surrounding the shrinkage but the plot gets progressively weaker. Still enjoyable enough though, just wish Doom had taken a more active role and didn't leave most stuff to tiny, medieval people and motorised fish.

Quote of the Day ~ "I love Alicia, and she loves me best as the Thing! So why don't you forget about tryin' to change me back, and work on some way to make her see again, instead?"

My assessment ~ A keeper until a better copy becomes available and I've filled in the gaping holes in my early FF collection.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Great idea for a journal subject, Harry.

Early Marvels and particularly early Fantastic Fours were/are terrific reads and I enjoy how the title develops and starts accumulating "backstory baggage".

This is where Marvel had it all over the other publishers - particularly DC - in that they (Marvel) would continue to reference older issues, piquing the curiosity of the reader.

D.C.s of the period were very much standalone stories. The reader wasn't left with much of a feeling that there was a lot more to the title. Though changes and new characters would be introduced to the Superman and Batman title, the changes often seemed forced and unnecessary (close the Batcave in 1969? Whose idea was that? lol )

Fun journal Mr Lime.

I'm curious, I believe you said you started reading comics in the 70s and you've just started collecting a few years ago. What stopped you from collecting for so long?

Regarding early Fantastic Fours, as much as I love them I've always seen them as poorly written and drawn. The stories are pedestrian and Kirby's art is pretty crude. Around issue #38 is when I see the art and story becoming truly wonderful.

Great idea for a journal subject, Harry.

Early Marvels and particularly early Fantastic Fours were/are terrific reads and I enjoy how the title develops and starts accumulating "backstory baggage".

This is where Marvel had it all over the other publishers - particularly DC - in that they (Marvel) would continue to reference older issues, piquing the curiosity of the reader.

D.C.s of the period were very much standalone stories. The reader wasn't left with much of a feeling that there was a lot more to the title. Though changes and new characters would be introduced to the Superman and Batman title, the changes often seemed forced and unnecessary (close the Batcave in 1969? Whose idea was that? lol )

I agree, it was this referencing that really got me hooked on Marvels rather than DC which was more available in the areas where I lived.

Fun journal Mr Lime.

I'm curious, I believe you said you started reading comics in the 70s and you've just started collecting a few years ago. What stopped you from collecting for so long?

Regarding early Fantastic Fours, as much as I love them I've always seen them as poorly written and drawn. The stories are pedestrian and Kirby's art is pretty crude. Around issue #38 is when I see the art and story becoming truly wonderful.

I grew up, was into other things. Boring adult stuff etc. There was a time in the late 80's/90's when I got back into again, mainly Silver Surfers. Then I decided I didn't like the style of art that was being used and stopped buying 'new' material. My favourite time has always been SA/BA and those books just weren't available in the areas where I lived before the Interwebs. Purely by chance I found a comic book store in Canterbury which had some SA Thor's & early BA Avengers and suddenly I rediscovered my long lost passion for old Marvels. Being somewhat more financially solvent than in the past it's been a hobby I've been able to indulge this time around.

Regarding the early FF's & other Marvels, I agree that they are not as professional as later efforts but I tend to cut them more slack a) because of my love for them & b) taking into context that they were the trailblazers in a new age of comics. However I'm still trying to be honest in my appraisals of what I like & dislike about them as will, hopefully, become apparent in later updates. JIM's suffer particularly in this regard.

Thank you both for replying. :)

Journey Into Mystery #95 August 1963

My Copy- Grade 3.0

Cover: 2/5 ~ I really like the green sky and hey, it has 2 Thors. Unfortunately both are rather simplistically drawn. Also the blurb lies!

Art: 1/5 ~ Simplistic, naive and a waste of the opportunities given with a 'duplicating' machine. Main villain resembles a creepy, game show host. I'm guessing the game show would be "What's my Finger?"

Story: 0/5 ~ Another dire offering I'm afraid. Full of discrepancies, absurdities & contradictions that a 5 year-old could see through. Decent enough idea in having a duplicate Thor but terrible, terrible execution in seeing it through. Also Thor makes it rain in Asgard, Yay!

Quote of the Day ~ "Amazing, eh? Thor's hammer can split a mountain, but it can't even scratch the android's skull"

My assessment: Well, these early JIM's are turning out to be quite the disappointment. As bad, if not worse than the #92. Another one for the sale pile.

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Journey Into Mystery #96 September 1963

My Copy - Grade 3.0 Bought this from a British e-Bay dealer whose grading I generally respect as a VG-. I think he was a tad generous with this one.

jim95.jpg.10617c8a0cebb5008dd1a3a281b9a396.jpg

Cover: 1/5 ~ My copy is quite faded, I understand that the sky was supposed to be a light blue which may have improved the score. The statuesque poses however do not.

Art: 2/5 ~ More simplicity & general crudeness in the drawing of this period of JIM's is evident. However a couple of close-ups of Merlin's 'mad eye', Washington monuments & a JFK cameo just about edge this one over the previous issue.

Story: 1/5 ~ Sigh. This is really the weakest aspect of the JIM's so far. Was Berns phoning these in? A costly & cumbersome procedure in 1963. The actual idea is weaker than the previous issue but the execution is better delivered overall aside from an incredibly helpful Loki (chained up again, I note. Did Odin learn nothing from #92?) and the terrible culmination of the story. Thor defeats Merlin by turning back into Dr. Blake which horrifies Merlin so much he turns into a gibbering wreck and is willing to go back to sleep again for another 1000 years. Dreadful. doh!

Quote of the Day ~ "All right, dear...I'll take you to your mother and tell her to let you ride 'Macaroni'!"

My assessment: Yep, no reason to keep this. None at all.

:news:SOLD!

Thanks for reading!

Edited by Harry Lime

Regarding the early FF's & other Marvels, I agree that they are not as professional as later efforts but I tend to cut them more slack a) because of my love for them & b) taking into context that they were the trailblazers in a new age of comics. However I'm still trying to be honest in my appraisals of what I like & dislike about them as will, hopefully, become apparent in later updates. JIM's suffer particularly in this regard.

I believe, in reply to thehumantorch, that the early stories need more to be evaluated on a single issue basis. Not because they aren’t a continued narration (they are) but because the art was often "rushed up" for the strict deadlines and probably low pay.

Some issues are really well accomplished, my favor goes to these inked by Chic Stone, and #5 – the first by Sinnott, of course. :)

As far as JiM goes, they are not even comparable: it seems to me it was the title where they put the lesser effort, and the average of the stories continue to be mediocre for quite a number of issues, IMO.

As far as JiM goes, they are not even comparable: it seems to me it was the title where they put the lesser effort, and the average of the stories continue to be mediocre for quite a number of issues, IMO.

I am increasingly finding this out. Indeed the real Journey Into Mystery is when am I going to read a decent one? Stay tuned, folks! :P

Journey Into Mystery #96 September 1963

My Copy - Grade 3.0 Bought this from a British e-Bay dealer whose grading I generally respect as a VG-. I think he was a tad generous with this one.

scan0004_zpsunxglx6a.jpg

Cover: 1/5 ~ My copy is quite faded, I understand that the sky was supposed to be a light blue which may have improved the score. The statuesque poses however do not.

Art: 2/5 ~ More simplicity & general crudeness in the drawing of this period of JIM's is evident. However a couple of close-ups of Merlin's 'mad eye', Washington monuments & a JFK cameo just about edge this one over the previous issue.

Story: 1/5 ~ Sigh. This is really the weakest aspect of the JIM's so far. Was Berns phoning these in? A costly & cumbersome procedure in 1963. The actual idea is weaker than the previous issue but the execution is better delivered overall aside from an incredibly helpful Loki (chained up again, I note. Did Odin learn nothing from #92?) and the terrible culmination of the story. Thor defeats Merlin by turning back into Dr. Blake which horrifies Merlin so much he turns into a gibbering wreck and is willing to go back to sleep again for another 1000 years. Dreadful. doh!

Quote of the Day ~ "All right, dear...I'll take you to your mother and tell her to let you ride 'Macaroni'!"

My assessment: Yep, no reason to keep this. None at all.

Thanks for reading!

Hey! Spoiler alert please! lol

You are right, these early JIMs - indeed anything that R Berns touched - are dire. I think "Berns" real name was Bernstein. Obviously sucking up to Stan by altering his surname similarly lol

Hello Mr. Lime,

This is a cool thread. As a DC guy, I have not read many of these classic Silver Marvel tales but I respect how Marvel changed the medium. As I was not alive in the '60s, it appears the early '60s had a cool vibe with the first few James Bond films and JFK's Camelot. And I cannot put my finger on it, but I feel the early Fantastic Four cover have this cool vibe. Maybe it's the font of the logo, or Kirby's art.

Great job with the reviews and I hope your future is filled with many upgrades!

Brandon