• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Conan Key Issues
4 4

167 posts in this topic

On 9/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, the blob said:

I am inclined to think of all the bws issues as key just because there is not much otherwise in 275 issues. The savage swords, particularly the first 50 issues, are lovely books.

I agree, 1 - 24 are definitely key, even though Brunner did the cover for 17 (I think). I believe Thulsa Doom, Thoth Amon, Belit, and Zula are important Characters as well, so I'd throw in the aforementioned...

(Two Adams Covers 37 and 49)

(Thulsa Doom... Kull 3, MOP 16)

And add

(Thoth Amon, Annual 2 full)

(Belit first 58, death 100)

(Zula 84)

The 2 Adam's covers could be argued. But the other 3 characters are crucial.

On 7/22/2016 at 7:35 AM, Brian48 said:

Just a side note, CGC got it completely wrong with Giant Size 1 being the first appearance of Belit. It's actually Conan 58. Belit absolutely does not appear in this issue at all. Not even in a cameo. All Conan does is mention her name [once], along with Valeria and Red Sonja, in one word balloon as he reminisces about the women he's paired up with in the past. She's never drawn or delved into any further than that. What GS Conan #1 should be famous for is part #1 of the epic Hour of the Dragon drawn by Gil Kane.

100% Agree - not sure why Overstreet doesn't fix obvious mistakes like this one - #58 is a screaming bargain as this will get fixed eventually but I guess all those GS 1 slabs will still be wrong

On 9/21/2019 at 10:44 PM, mtlevy1 said:

100% Agree - not sure why Overstreet doesn't fix obvious mistakes like this one - #58 is a screaming bargain as this will get fixed eventually but I guess all those GS 1 slabs will still be wrong

They definitely should. I already have a 58 in 9.4 White for my run, but I was happy to snag this MJV in 9.6 as a backup. Its the first slabbed variant I've seen. Does anybody know how common or rare these are? 

00297521696000083730973021.jpg

Edited by Joshua33
Spell

On 1/29/2021 at 10:17 PM, I am not Glenda said:

I am not an IA guy ( way to rich for my blood) However, The Conan MT #23 was the first comic I ever owned, so when the cover came up at HA a few years ago I let some of my double keys go to add it to the collection. I am still as blown away by the big John cover today as I was in 5th grade.

lf (1).jpg

On a side note the sword was not part of the original drawing and was only added later by Sinnott due to a request by Roy Thomas. If you really look it seems a little out of place or off angle.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:37 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

@Brian48I never heard of that before, and I thought I had bought all of the things he put out for GBP in the '70s. Can you tell me more about this Conan portfolio please?

Not exactly sure when it was released, but I remember it was towards the days when Smith was starting to leave comics.  I posted about my purchase way back in this thread with some added pics.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/109091-conan-comics/page/40/#comments

Edited by Brian48

13 hours ago, comic_memories said:

Surprised there is no love for Conan 25? First John Buscema Artwork.  Nobody more prolific on Conan /Savage Tales.  He also drew the  Conan Sunday and daily newspaper syndicated comic strip and  some storyboards for the Conan 1982  Movie...   and that's just some of his accomplishments.

conan.jpg

buscemacon (4).jpg

... Criminally under appreciated .... Smith gave it life, but Buscema coaxed it to perfection. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 2/2/2021 at 3:19 PM, Brian48 said:

Not exactly sure when it was released, but I remember it was towards the days when Smith was starting to leave comics.  I posted about my purchase way back in this thread with some added pics.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/109091-conan-comics/page/40/#comments

It is called the Tupenny Conan portfolio - not super rare - you can see it in HA.com past sales