• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I Miss Dave (Stevens, that is)
8 8

4,882 posts in this topic

I was a dealer at a small comicon in Tulsa yesterday and towards the end of the day a gentleman started talking to the dealer next to me. Apparently, the dealer had been trying to contact this guy for some time to buy a poster from him. As they talked my interest peaked.

This guy used to be a radio announcer back in the early 1990s and he told us a short story about how he came about having these posters. I asked if he had an extra one with him and he said yes. So both the other dealer and I were able to obtain 1 copy of this poster. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

Rocketeer%20Movie%20Poster%201991_zps0s3yunwl.jpg

Rocketeer%20Movie%20Poster%2034177_zpslyaexbkj.jpg

Anyone want to weigh in on the validity of this eBay auction of supposedly original Dave Stevens art?

Several pages of the third issue of Rocketeer Adventure Magazine found their way into the market, probably sold by the various people who had helped Dave meet the deadline on that issue (Art Adams, Sandy Plunkett and others).

Not saying the auction is legit, or not, but yes, there are pages out there.

Dave had also sold a few pages of art over the years when he was in need of money. He told me he had sold the original cover to Comico Chistmast Special because he needed cash to pay his income tax. :)

Anyone want to weigh in on the validity of this eBay auction of supposedly original Dave Stevens art?

Several pages of the third issue of Rocketeer Adventure Magazine found their way into the market, probably sold by the various people who had helped Dave meet the deadline on that issue (Art Adams, Sandy Plunkett and others).

Not saying the auction is legit, or not, but yes, there are pages out there.

Dave had also sold a few pages of art over the years when he was in need of money. He told me he had sold the original cover to Comico Chistmast Special because he needed cash to pay his income tax. :)

Many pages were recently sold from this story by the Estate - first in France and then through Albert Moy's website. The page was part of the recent sales. Albert still has a few if people are interested.

This story had assists from artists like Kaluta and Arthur Adams. The pages that haven't hit the market are from the first Rocketeer story although there are a couple pages that were given away that may be out there.

I was a dealer at a small comicon in Tulsa yesterday and towards the end of the day a gentleman started talking to the dealer next to me. Apparently, the dealer had been trying to contact this guy for some time to buy a poster from him. As they talked my interest peaked.

This guy used to be a radio announcer back in the early 1990s and he told us a short story about how he came about having these posters. I asked if he had an extra one with him and he said yes. So both the other dealer and I were able to obtain 1 copy of this poster. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. :)

Rocketeer%20Movie%20Poster%201991_zps0s3yunwl.jpg

Rocketeer%20Movie%20Poster%2034177_zpslyaexbkj.jpg

From the description, it sounds like you're referring to Jeff Gelb. Jeff was a long time friend of Dave's. So, if he was selling something, I'd tend to believe it was legit.

Watcha got? (shrug)

Things that I have begrudgingly decided to part with?

3-D Zone 16 CGC 9.8

Alien Worlds 2 CGC 9.8

Bettie Page Queen of the Nike 1-3 All CGC 9.8 except #3 which 9.6

Crossfire 12 CGC 9.8

Sheena 3-D Special 1 CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures 1 (Jetpack Edition) CGC 9.8

Rocketeer Adventures 2 (Jetpack Edition) CGC 9.8

I still have to go through and see what other items I'm willing to part with. There are prints, Rocketeer postcards, etc. that I'm still deciding on.

I'm re-focusing my collection to books that capture specific artists, styles, classic characters, etc.

So I have to thin out Dave to balance things it..... sadly.