• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Neal Adams - Should I even bother?
1 1

41 posts in this topic

Hi all,

It's been quite a while but I'm finally getting back to a comic convention. (Tampa comic con)

I'd like to get a few books signed by Neal Adams. I don't mind paying for the signatures, but I've heard a lot of stories about his gruffness and impatience with fans. I have difficulty speaking (due to a genetic condition) that gets really bad when I'm nervous. I can talk and get information across, but it can take a minute or two. I know how silly this sounds, but I'm worried he'll hear what I sound like and not even want to deal with me.

Do you guys think it would be worth it to try, or would me going up to him invite a less than stellar encounter?

Is there a trick to a positive Adams encounter?

Thanks everyone.

Honestly I have found him to be very nice. He is always smiling. He spent several mins talking to my 7 year old about Batman in Dallas a few months ago. He does charge to sign ($30 for CGC books I think) and sketches are just done on a case by case basis, but he is a legend so I don't mind paying it. If you buy a book from him he will sign it free. I think those start around $50 and he always has some interesting stuff.

Honestly I have found him to be very nice. He is always smiling. He spent several mins talking to my 7 year old about Batman in Dallas a few months ago. He does charge to sign ($30 for CGC books I think) and sketches are just done on a case by case basis, but he is a legend so I don't mind paying it. If you buy a book from him he will sign it free. I think those start around $50 and he always has some interesting stuff.

+1

He does charge $20-$30 for signatures. If you buy from him, the signature is FREE! He has a huge selection of issues to choose from. Mostly the recent DC run from a couple of months ago. I got lucky and picked up a couple from his selection and got 9.8s out of them! Figures the one I provided came back a 9.6 :(

He is nice an personable. I think you'll do just fine.

I met him two years ago and it was awesome, i think very highly of him. He has a great God given talent and his work has brought people much joy and happiness. I know we all have our bad days, but shame on him if he treats you any differently because of your condition. He signed the first book free and i think $5-$10 thereafter, unless you were submitting it to CGC, then he charged a premium. I hope it turns out wonderful for you my friend, I have faith in Mr. Neal Adams. (thumbs u

I've never had an issue with him. he does charge more than most, but it seems like everyone is marking up these days.

if you get there early when his booth is pretty empty, he's usually good for a story or two.

My experience was great as well. He was very nice and pleasant to deal with. He even joked that he would sign anything for the $30 price tag. The main thing is to try and relax. Have fun, its a comic con. Maybe try to talk with different creators before Adams to help settle your nerves. Or observe Adams from a distance to see how he's doing. Then when you feel more comfortable, approach him. I like the wingman as mentioned above. If you don't have a wingman, then have a prepared note to give Adams just in case your nervous impulses kick in. :wishluck:

Edit: If you don't have a Wingman and don't use the note idea,

Adams also had other people working at his booth when I saw him. You might want to talk with them first to help you out with Adams. Recruit them as a potential wingman. (shrug)

Edited by Catwomancomics

Thanks for your replies everyone!

I really appreciate the kind words and sound advice. I will have a friend with me at the convention but I only want him to intercede if things are going badly.

Houseofcomics - Thanks. It's nice to be back.

I met him in April (SC ComicCon) and he was nice. I had him sign one book and it went like this:

Paid his wife $30.

Gave him my book and told him I loved his work.

He said thank you, signed the book and gave it back.

I said thanks again to both him and his wife and went back to the CGC booth with my witness.

Easy Peasy....

people who interpret Neal to be rude or tough to get along with are just not getting him...... it is his sort of act/personality.

he loves to joke and is very nice, dont worry.

Had a stack of books to be signed by Neal Adams back in June in Dallas. His wife was more than happy to take my 30 bucks per book for cgc ss. I had painstakingly spent the time to properly window bag my books as I have had some painful costly lessons in the past with other artists. I had done my research and found where he liked to sign for each book and put windows in the appropriate area. No problems in the beginning until he came across a justice league book that I had apparently not put the window in the right area. I didn't find any that he had previously signed. He took it out of the bag and said "I don't understand why people put these comics like this" He laid it on his artists board and moved the book upwards to sign in a specific area on the bottom of the book. Unfortunately, while he signed the bottom, the rest of the book was unsupported and no longer on the board and sure enough, spine color breaks on a previously 9.6 or 9.8 book. I didn't interpret him as being gruff, impolite or rude, but he definitely likes to do things his way and only his way. If you want to window bag, make sure the window is where he likes to sign, because that is the only place that he will sign.

If I'm paying him $30 per book to sign, he should sign where I WANT him to..not where he feels like he should.

I definitely agree and while I have not had this problem with him, I have paid Jim Steranko almost as much and had him insist on using black in a dark area while I was asking him to use a red paint pen that I was handing him. Due to this, I will not get more signatures from him in the future.

If I'm paying him $30 per book to sign, he should sign where I WANT him to..not where he feels like he should.

I definitely agree and while I have not had this problem with him, I have paid Jim Steranko almost as much and had him insist on using black in a dark area while I was asking him to use a red paint pen that I was handing him. Due to this, I will not get more signatures from him in the future.

Steranko is a a great guy. I did have a similar situation too. I had a Nick Fury Agent of Shield #1 poster, that I wanted him to sign in silver, but he insisted on blue. The area I wanted him to sign was the darker blue area. We went back and forth for a few seconds. Trust me, Jim Steranko has forgotten more about the color wheel than I will ever know, but I wanted what I wanted. He finally caved, took my small cash purchase, signed it, shook my hand and I walked away.

He has a really nice signature, and it is subtle, not overpowering with the silver, which is what I wanted.

I brought my Flash 217-219 to Buffalo's Nickel City Con yesterday for Adams to sign. Neal and his wife were both pleasant and engaging. I wound up also buying his new Civil Wars II and HQ 25s as long as I had the CGC witness there. All of the books were handled well and different color pens were used to make the signatures look great.

Had a stack of books to be signed by Neal Adams back in June in Dallas. His wife was more than happy to take my 30 bucks per book for cgc ss. I had painstakingly spent the time to properly window bag my books as I have had some painful costly lessons in the past with other artists. I had done my research and found where he liked to sign for each book and put windows in the appropriate area. No problems in the beginning until he came across a justice league book that I had apparently not put the window in the right area. I didn't find any that he had previously signed. He took it out of the bag and said "I don't understand why people put these comics like this" He laid it on his artists board and moved the book upwards to sign in a specific area on the bottom of the book. Unfortunately, while he signed the bottom, the rest of the book was unsupported and no longer on the board and sure enough, spine color breaks on a previously 9.6 or 9.8 book. I didn't interpret him as being gruff, impolite or rude, but he definitely likes to do things his way and only his way. If you want to window bag, make sure the window is where he likes to sign, because that is the only place that he will sign.

+1

I had a Miracleman Wizard World variant that I had window-bagged. Unfortunately, the area where he was supposed to sign was near the crotch -- totally my fault, and I apologized when he said, "I do NOT want to sign there." Mr. Adams pulled the tape off the bag and pulled the comic out of its bag with two fingers. I was worried about it creasing and saw it fold.

He was otherwise courteous and nice, but the CGC witness said, "He's having an off-day." Found out Mr. Adams had been feeling a bit sick, and it made him a bit grumpy.

I guess I was lucky. It was not very crowded so the urgency for me to move along was not there. He didn't re-bag one of the comics and when I took it to replace the comic in the bag he asked if he wanted me to do it... I said I was good. Once again, they were both really great with all of my "stuff". (thumbs u