• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E.C. Fan Addict THREAD
27 27

6,323 posts in this topic

The old old label Gaines File Copy smells absolutely amazing. :cloud9:

EC's off the news stand or in mailers gave that certain smell, I think from the ink, that no other comic publisher had.

If your file copy retained that smell, after over half a century, it's truly fantastic!! A sensory experience from the early '50's, and certainly something that couldn't be enjoyed were the book in a slab.

My first Gaines File Copy, a Weird Science 14, was purchased in 1991 from Russ Cochran. I kept that book in the raw until just last summer, largely because I so enjoyed being able to have that tactile, sensory experience of it. But I finally broke down and decided the book should be preserved for the ages. (I'm now quite glad I had it slabbed just when I did, and didn't wait any longer...)

ws14_6of12c_zpsyxecicqv.jpg

:applause: Beautiful book, and yes, you probably dodged a bullet.

Lower grade, but all much loved:

Frontline_Combat_11_zpsgzcpegaz.jpg

Frontline_Combat_12_zpsuyvl91rx.jpg

Air Force... my branch!

Mad_002_unslabbed_zps1a7ktjtz.jpg

I did promise back when that I would show this after I unslabbed it.

Two_Fisted_Tales_41_zpsxtrx6axg.jpg

Rest in peace, Mr. Davis. And thank you for decades of wonderful art.

Usually not too much to get excited about in terms of an "Extra!" issue :D ...but, here's a cool one I just picked up that I'm real happy to add to my collection, as it helps round out the pedigree representation.

It's a Windy City...first one in my collection. This seems to be a tough pedigree in general, and must be tougher yet to find a Windy City EC...because many EC titles didn't start with a "#1" issue (i.e., Gaines often just started numbering a new title wherever some previous title left off).

Actually, this makes me wonder...did Mr. Wallace consider the first issue of a new title to be a #1 issue for his collecting purposes, irrespective of the stated # on the cover (for example, did he pick up the first issue of Tales From the Crypt, even though it had "No. 20" on the cover)...or, did he only buy issues that literally were labeled as "#1" on the cover?

Paging Moondog...come in Moondog! :D

Anyway...here's my new Extra! #1 Windy City:

extra1wc_f.jpg

What other Windy City ECs are out there?

Very nice indeed Ed. I agree that Extra is one of the least exciting EC titles, but that one is a beauty. :applause:

I only have one, and I didn't enjoy the read at all, but I do like the cover.

extra4.jpg

Any Johnny Craig cover is good, and of course lack of a decent read is why their new direction titles (Extra, Psychoanalysis, M.D., etc), never made it beyond a few issues.

I have a copy of Impact #1, pre-code; wouldn't bother with the rest that were post.

Good snag there, Ed! That's a book not often seen (in fact the entire title is not often seen).

Any Johnny Craig cover is good, and of course lack of a decent read is why their new direction titles (Extra, Psychoanalysis, M.D., etc), never made it beyond a few issues.

I have a copy of Impact #1, pre-code; wouldn't bother with the rest that were post.

I mostly agree with that, but I think Valor, Piracy and Aces High are good reading. Impact is spotty, with some good stories and bunch of meh ones. Even #1 is uneven, though Master Race is worth the price of admission. Incredible Science Fiction is really good value too (though I'm not sure it's strictly a New Direction title.)

I'm not sure it was poor quality that did the New Direction titles in. My understanding is that Gaines simply got sick of dealing with the code, and took Mad off to magazine land so he didn't have to.

I mostly agree with that, but I think Valor, Piracy and Aces High are good reading. Impact is spotty, with some good stories and bunch of meh ones. Even #1 is uneven, though Master Race is worth the price of admission. Incredible Science Fiction is really good value too (though I'm not sure it's strictly a New Direction title.)

I'm not sure it was poor quality that did the New Direction titles in. My understanding is that Gaines simply got sick of dealing with the code, and took Mad off to magazine land so he didn't have to.

Not having read the three titles that you are referring to, I certainly can't comment.

I had always wondered why Gaines didn't also change TFTC from comic to magazine format, in addition to Mad.

Regarding Impact,the cover images of the ensuing issues just didn't interest me enough to go after them, on the assumption that they had to have watered down story material, if the cover was any indication.

Weird Science and Weird Fantasy were combined in late '53 into Weird Science-Fantasy, to be published quarterly, and at 15 cents a copy. That title was eventually changed itself, into Incredible Science Fiction. I presume Gaines was avoiding the word, "Weird" in the title, to appease the CCA. IMHO, the last issue sported the best Wally Wood cover ever.

Recent acquisition.

Made a new MAD thread but these are EC's so...

Today while in California.

Congrats! I love that Davis evil eye cover.

Me too

First Mad 1.2.3 I've ever had.

Was going to just buy the 2, then decided to get 1,3,7 too :-)