• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How To Pack Your Books For Shipping - by Boozad
12 12

585 posts in this topic

http://www.reliablepaper.com/12_1_8_x_9_1_8_x_1_White_Corrugated_Bookfolds_p/rpsm1291.htm

Just refreshed my stock in these mailers. This was the best price I could find online. These are very versatile. I usually also put a piece of corrugated on each side of the books and then place them in here.

Never mind. The quality of these is bad. The perforations are too heavy on the folds and they crack and fall apart. Off to find another vendor.

I always use USPS priority mail flat rate envelopes with 2 pieces of thick cardboard. Comes with 50 dollars shipping and tracking. Never had an issue.

Worst issue I have had on receiving was when I ordered my DD #1 and it was shipped with a lot of insurance. It looked like someone had jammed something into the box to see what was inside. Case came cracked but book was fine. Has anyone else had this issue? I feel like insurance makes the books a target because the post office workers can see that something valuable is inside.

I couldn't claim insurance or I would have had to give up the book.

I always use USPS priority mail flat rate envelopes with 2 pieces of thick cardboard. Comes with 50 dollars shipping and tracking. Never had an issue.

Worst issue I have had on receiving was when I ordered my DD #1 and it was shipped with a lot of insurance. It looked like someone had jammed something into the box to see what was inside. Case came cracked but book was fine. Has anyone else had this issue? I feel like insurance makes the books a target because the post office workers can see that something valuable is inside.

I couldn't claim insurance or I would have had to give up the book.

I have used this, also. and put as many as 5 pieces in if I can. I know it takes some time, but I have glued pieces together to make them around 1/4 to 1/3 inch pieces and use more than two in packaging.

I, also, tape all edges of the boxes and envelopes to keep from tearing and ripping.

:pullhair:

dammit folks - quit using scotch tape to secure comics and cardboard sandwiches.

#1 scotch tape does not stick to cardboard

#2 everything disintegrates in transit, with books flying around outside the cardboard sandwich, dunning corners and doing other damage to the books.

Hey there, I just made a guide to packing CGC comic books for mailing. I'll attach it to this message. Please look it over and tell me if you think this looks like a good way to package? I wasn't actually mailing anything, just taking pictures so I could make this guide. I thought it might be useful to people. (Thanks to Forbush-man and others here for the suggestion about which USPS boxes to order.)

Yes, great post, thank you. Several years ago, I posted in some thread... if using the USPS for shipping slabs, then priority box #1095 is absolutely essential. (They are usually ordered online or via phone- they are free) Usually not found at most post office branches currently.

After all these years, I still can not believe how many veteran dealers and sellers still continue to use the USPS medium size box, or a flat rate which barely provides any space for wrapping/protecting a slab. The slab pretty much goes to the edge of the box. Totally rolling the dice for cracked slabs or damaged books. :frustrated::pullhair: Just don't do it!

Thank you for your cooperation.

:cloud9:

Any tips for treasury sized books? I have a Superman vs. Ali I need to mail out to Australia.

I'm worried that that even thick corrugated cardboards may not be enough protection as the book could bend easily as it is much slender than a regular comic. Shipping international in a box is really expensive.

Any advice helps!

Any tips for treasury sized books? I have a Superman vs. Ali I need to mail out to Australia.

I'm worried that that even thick corrugated cardboards may not be enough protection as the book could bend easily as it is much slender than a regular comic. Shipping international in a box is really expensive.

Any advice helps!

Hopefully you will be charging enough for shipping to cover the proper costs. A slender mirror like box would be ideal. I do not think there are many short cuts when shipping fragile comic books or art work.

Only other alternative I can think of, possibly several layers of card board, or a sturdy heavy duty foam core with card bard on top of that.

Good Luck.

:pullhair:

dammit folks - quit using scotch tape to secure comics and cardboard sandwiches.

#1 scotch tape does not stick to cardboard

#2 everything disintegrates in transit, with books flying around outside the cardboard sandwich, dunning corners and doing other damage to the books.

I agree, and I also wish people wouldn't use the clear packing tape on the insides of packages. That clear packing tape is designed to seal up the outside of boxes. Not the inside.

For inside contents, the best tape to use (in my humble opinion) is either masking tape, or blue painter's tape. Blue painter's tape is designed to stick well but also to be easily removable. You can buy it in bulk at Home Depot, and since you don't have to use much per package, one roll will last a long time. So even if it seems a bit more expensive than other options, it's worth it.

There are a lot of people out there who are very, very knowledgeable about comics and whatnot, and they're also very, very good at packaging -- except when it comes to this one issue of interior tape. Just the other day I received a high-grade magazine, and I had to spend an inordinate amount of time carefully picking off the sticky packing tape that had been used to seal together the inside padding and affix it to the comic's mylar sleeve. The use of the fingernail picking off the tape, pressing down so it would "catch," meant that I was pressing into the magazine underneath, potentially ruining the smoothness of the cover surface, etc.

Hey there, I just made a guide to packing CGC comic books for mailing. I'll attach it to this message. Please look it over and tell me if you think this looks like a good way to package? I wasn't actually mailing anything, just taking pictures so I could make this guide. I thought it might be useful to people. (Thanks to Forbush-man and others here for the suggestion about which USPS boxes to order.)

Yes, great post, thank you. Several years ago, I posted in some thread... if using the USPS for shipping slabs, then priority box #1095 is absolutely essential. (They are usually ordered online or via phone- they are free) Usually not found at most post office branches currently.

After all these years, I still can not believe how many veteran dealers and sellers still continue to use the USPS medium size box, or a flat rate which barely provides any space for wrapping/protecting a slab. The slab pretty much goes to the edge of the box. Totally rolling the dice for cracked slabs or damaged books. :frustrated::pullhair: Just don't do it!

Thank you for your cooperation.

:cloud9:

I'm glad you appreciate the post. I'm not sure if all of the cost information is still valid (though it's only been a few months), but here is the link to the post again:

How to package CGC slabs for safe shipping

Myself and my ebay counterpart Ship comics almost every day because we sell a lot of them on ebay. I basicly follow the idea that i want my package to be able to get hit by a truck or stabbed by a forklift (which i've dealt with WAY too many times) and still get to my customers in the condition they expect.

We use Gemini custom shipping boxes and i cant recommend them enough! What i do when shipping is:

1. place a second board covering the top of the bag and boarded comic, which is something often overlooked. if a piece of debris gets into your packaging and gets pressed against the cover of the comic it can damage the comic in shipping.

2. wrap the comic and board in a foam sheet. For a little cushion :)

3. place the wrapped comic into the gemini box, and tape the hell out of it lol.

4. for higher value comics ($50+) i will place the gemini box into an airjacket envelope.

and because we buy our shipping supplies wholesale we charge 3.99 shipping so that we just break even. and then we charge $1.00 per additional item to account for extra shipping charges.