• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Single series 20 Tarzan
1 1

61 posts in this topic

That is really cool. I`ve never seen that designation on a CGC label before. It would seem to indicate that there must be more.

I vaguely recall that some Daredevil Battles Hitler and/or Silver Streaks came from him.

New Favorite thread.  My first price guide was #4, I remember FC/Uncle Scrooge being close to Action 1, not this book?  What are some of the other books that were up near the top and have fallen from grace as the hobby (and hobbyists) generations age? 

Edited by GLD

3 hours ago, GLD said:

New Favorite thread.  My first price guide was #4, I remember FC/Uncle Scrooge being close to Action 1, not this book?  What are some of the other books that were up near the top and have fallen from grace as the hobby (and hobbyists) generations age? 

2E81613E-4886-44A7-B6AE-5A70BFEB4F51.thumb.jpeg.b8bcbeceface694f89243df7a520c0bb.jpeg

I miss my Four Color 10.

7 hours ago, GLD said:

If I remember correctly, wasn't this issue of Flash Gordon tied with a bunch of other books for either the 9th or 10th spot in terms of valuation when the first Overstreet came out way way back in 1970.  Apparently I remember seeing a video the other year on that first guide and the Good Price for this book actually dropped by a dollar or something after all these long decades:  :whatthe:   :screwy:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/four-color-10-flash-gordon-mile-high-pedigree-dell-1942-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/7187-92124.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

lf?set=path%5B1%2F7%2F5%2F7%2F3%2F17573022%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5D

If you are into Flash Gordon, you might just be in luck as I believe seeing a few nice HG, if not highest graded copies of Flash Gordon's in next week's upcoming CC Event Auction.  Need to check, but if I remember correctly, they were also still going at relative low low bids when I last saw them.  hm

Then again, maybe they need to have another Flash Gordon movie (or maybe even a Flesh Gordon movie would do lol) in the works in order to get today's generation of deep pocketed crypto investors and sports cards traders willing to throw their wild and crazed FOMO new found money for these books.  :whee:  :takeit:

16 hours ago, GLD said:

Well, Motion Picture Funnies Weekly no. 1 comes to mind - once a top five book tied with Superman 1 in value (at a time when Whiz 2(1) and Detective 27 were about the same!). The elephant in the room must be the Donald Duck books like Donald Tells About Kites and the March of Comics issues (4, 20, etc.), all top twenty books that have fallen out of favor. 

The rarer Boy Explorers 2 made the cut-off for part of the 70's on the top 50 lists, which if I recall correctly, started in Overstreet number 7. Before that, the books were broken out only by title, and that was a few preceding editions only, not the first few editions. 

One interesting note about the old-school valuation of books was the lack of cover-centric mania: no Detective 31, no Fantastic 3, and certainly no Suspense 3. Action 2 was in the top ten, Action 3 maybe the top twenty, and 4 and 5 were still worth more than issue 7 with its great cover!! :preach:

Yes, The Disney's were so popular with the 20 something first generation comic collectors.   As a tween I wasn't into Barks (then), I do remember then the average collector wanted Savage Tales #1 like they now want Giant-Size X-Men #1.  Luckily I wasn't into Conan either. I was onto Lou Fine thanks to Steranko's History of Comics. Had I known about the Fantastic covers I'd have been going crazy.  The power of the hobby and the visual resources we have were unimaginable in the 70's. 

Boy Explorers 2! Forgot about that. Boy Commandos also little interest and sadly Air Fighter/Airboy.  There are a lot of the late 40's, early 50's issues for sale online. I have a bunch, bought more for the Heap stories. 

My collecting friends and I knew about that Phantom Lady cover but we were all.... "I'd rather have a Timely....."  I should have guessed that collecting would have gone in the direction of GG stuff. 

Edited by GLD

Other than PL 17, Reform School Girl and a few others, there were no “GGA” comics. Just a lot of unknown and obscure books with girls on them. No big interest. GA DCs, Timelys, Ducks and ECs ruled the roost. 

Then along came David T Alexander, Terry Stroud and Carl Macek of the American ComicBook Company in CA. 

In the early to mid 1970’s, they had so many early collections walking into their store in Studio City that they couldn’t process them fast enough. 

So many obscure books that they started marketing them in their TCBBG ads and catalogues. They would add in “good girl art”, “bondage”, “headlights”, “spicy” and others in the titles. This brought a lot of attention to these books. They sold a lot more books and of course the demand and prices started to rise. 

Smart guys, way ahead of their times. 

4 hours ago, GLD said:

I do remember then the average collector wanted Savage Tales #1 like they now want Giant-Size X-Men #1

Sadly, you are most definitely right when you say this.  :(

I remember paying something like $50 or $60 for my copy of Savage Tales 1, and yet only $2 for my mintry fresh copy of GSXM 1.  doh!

Now take a look at the 2 of them as GSXM 1 is deep deep into 5-figures while Savage Tales 1 is pretty much worthless drek in comparison.  :censored:

2 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Other than PL 17, Reform School Girl and a few others, there were no “GGA” comics. Just a lot of unknown and obscure books with girls on them. No big interest. GA DCs, Timelys, Ducks and ECs ruled the roost. 

RIght! But it happened as the comics in general were trying to skew older, which meant more violence and more T&A, so it sort of fit. I was comic book Rip van Winkle from about 1978 to 1995 so when I first saw the cover of Meet Corlis Archer #1 - I thought "What an abomination" - I was an artist at the time and I could excuse excessive attention to detail, but have a little subtlety. I was OK with Torchy and I had a few Rangers for fun, but was headlights a collecting branch?  What ever for me comic books were made for 10 to 12-year-olds in 1942, not 16 to 18 year-olds in a more sexually repressed era. Full disclosure, I did buy one Cowpuncher; but by then I had kids and was an old Dad, that's when one should buy chesecake. 

23 minutes ago, GLD said:

I've been meaning to ask, in Flash Gordon is the strip simplified like in the King Comics run? I'd never seen the interior page of Tarzan and I was surprised that they were reproduced (seemingly) faithfully.

I finally crammed it into a mylar after sitting on my shelf for a week, was shipped in tissue paper lol.  I'll break it out tonight and double check, but when I flipped through it earlier it didn't look like the strips were cut down any.

The prince valiant was a surprisingly good read.  Never liked the strip in the newspaper as a kid, but now I think I have a better appreciation of fosters work.  Still need to find a reader copy of single series 20 :(  And if anyone has a feature book 25 they're looking to get rid of...

Not sure about the King Comics run, but I did noticed that this week's CC Event auction does have this beautiful painted Flash Gordon cover:  :luhv:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/820399

fla8.21.jpg

Not sure where the price for this single highest graded copy is going to end up at , but currently quite a bit lower than both of the Four Color Flash Gordon 's right now.  (thumbsu

1 hour ago, waaaghboss said:

I finally crammed it into a mylar after sitting on my shelf for a week, was shipped in tissue paper lol.  I'll break it out tonight and double check, but when I flipped through it earlier it didn't look like the strips were cut down any.

The prince valiant was a surprisingly good read.  Never liked the strip in the newspaper as a kid, but now I think I have a better appreciation of fosters work.  Still need to find a reader copy of single series 20 :(  And if anyone has a feature book 25 they're looking to get rid of...

Thanks here is an example of Flash in King Comics. I either noticed it because of the reprint volumes, or from the Sunday pages I have, that the originals were more detailed, the color better etc...  The 30's Prince Valiants can be amazing, particularly for both action and grandeur.  Not to be negative, but Foster lost some mojo later....

King2.jpg

28 minutes ago, GLD said:

Not to be negative, but Foster lost some mojo later....

Even later Foster is better than just about everyone else's high point.  This piece from 1970 is purportedly the last page Foster drew on his own before John Cullen Murphy became involved.  It's an ordinary page without a lot going on, yet each panel blows most other artists of his lifetime away:

The final Hal Foster Prince Valiant Oct. 25, 1970 Comic Art

Edited by sfcityduck