• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Copper's Heating/Selling Well on Ebay
33 33

18,722 posts in this topic

I know that I personally sacrifice a small woodland creature every blood moon to get the grades on books that I do.

You are more likely...literally...to be hit by lightning than to find 9.9 copper books in the wild. Why?

1. CGC overprotects the 9.9 and 10 grades. This is most likely because they wanted to be taken seriously. Many, many books that deserve these grades are relegated to 9.8, and the 9.8 grade has possibly the single largest range of any grade on the scale. It is very, very difficult to get those grades, even when the books deserve them.

2. It takes less than a single slight stress or a slight bump to destroy a 9.9 potential. That means that, unless you find a collector who selected the best available copies when brand new and carefully stored them for decades ( :hi: ), you won't find any. Simply handling a book in a bag and a board is frequently enough to remove a book from 9.9 protential. Yes, that means CGC handling the books can and has knocked books out of 9.9 potential, as well as you simply packing the books up to send off.

When you combine those two, you'll find that finding "9.9s in the wild" is functionally impossible.

Although - and this may be the exception that proves the rule - the legendary New Mutants 98 10.0 was found in the wild. Foolkiller pulled it out of a box at a show.

Im fairly certain it was pressed though.... ?

It was pressed that's correct.

However, I also submitted five MOS 18s, and got 3 9.9s, those were unpressed, mostly because I thought they were 9.8s and pressing wouldn't have done anything more to improve them.

You have more luck any anyone I know of

Yes, the harder he works to find books, the luckier he gets.

Crazy, that correlation....

You are more likely...literally...to be hit by lightning than to find 9.9 copper books in the wild. Why?

1. CGC overprotects the 9.9 and 10 grades. This is most likely because they wanted to be taken seriously. Many, many books that deserve these grades are relegated to 9.8, and the 9.8 grade has possibly the single largest range of any grade on the scale. It is very, very difficult to get those grades, even when the books deserve them.

2. It takes less than a single slight stress or a slight bump to destroy a 9.9 potential. That means that, unless you find a collector who selected the best available copies when brand new and carefully stored them for decades ( :hi: ), you won't find any. Simply handling a book in a bag and a board is frequently enough to remove a book from 9.9 protential. Yes, that means CGC handling the books can and has knocked books out of 9.9 potential, as well as you simply packing the books up to send off.

When you combine those two, you'll find that finding "9.9s in the wild" is functionally impossible.

Although - and this may be the exception that proves the rule - the legendary New Mutants 98 10.0 was found in the wild. Foolkiller pulled it out of a box at a show.

Im fairly certain it was pressed though.... ?

It was pressed that's correct.

However, I also submitted five MOS 18s, and got 3 9.9s, those were unpressed, mostly because I thought they were 9.8s and pressing wouldn't have done anything more to improve them.

You have more luck any anyone I know of

You should keep a low profile around someone called 'Foolkiller'. :gossip:

oh snap! lol

Booster Gold #1 is a very good seller; raw HG seems to fetch $40+. (I sold one on Tuesday for $46)
I keep hearing this....I know I have several of these somewhere.

I was one of those suckers buying 3 of every number 1 at that time. Still waiting for Jemm Son Of Saturn t catch fire!

And why is Camelot 3000 not collectible. What a great series that was.

----

Because collectability 30+ years later doesn't rely on quality, it seems.

Now if they came out with Camelot 3001 (and it is a success) or a cartoon or TV show or movie or whatever, it will explode I'm sure.

It was also a little bit speculated on at the time, so that might dampen things as they aren't hard to find.

I remember enjoying reading them. But I was 12 or something and I can't tell you what happened at all.

----

Because collectability 30+ years later doesn't rely on quality, it seems.

Now if they came out with Camelot 3001 (and it is a success) or a cartoon or TV show or movie or whatever, it will explode I'm sure.

It was also a little bit speculated on at the time, so that might dampen things as they aren't hard to find.

I remember enjoying reading them. But I was 12 or something and I can't tell you what happened at all.

Simple, No demand

Booster Gold #1 is a very good seller; raw HG seems to fetch $40+. (I sold one on Tuesday for $46)

I was one of those suckers buying 3 of every number 1 at that time. Still waiting for Jemm Son Of Saturn t catch fire!

I have not even seen it before. doh! My guess is that it's needs some pumpin' (er, or pimpin') ;)

I have not even seen it before. doh! My guess is that it's needs some pumpin' (er, or pimpin') ;)

Camelot_3000_Vol_1_1_zpseqgjlewq.jpg

hm

Covers & interiors?! Is the story any good?

Camelot_3000_Vol_1_1_zpseqgjlewq.jpg

hm

Covers & interiors?! Is the story any good?

Story still holds up, which is super impressive, given that it tackled issues that were still new territory for comics at the time. Great read. Epic, seminal series. Undervalued and underappreciated.

Whats next Atari Force?
Also underappreciated.

Awesome series.

Well, the regular format ongoing from DC was awesome.

Prior to that there was a 5-issue series in mini size that you could only get by buying different Atari cartridges. Those issues are harder to find - I think the last two in particular? - and the story just isn't that interesting. It is in "continuity," though, as the ongoing series is a sequel that takes place 15-20 years later and builds off the events in the mini comics.

If Atari Force ever were to take off, it would be the mini comics that did it I think - unless the character Dart became a breakout, since she first appeared in the ongoing.