• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Mutants 98. Deadpool appreciation.
2 2

664 posts in this topic

Just wanted to share my experiences concerning this issue. At the beginning of the year i pulled 10 long boxes out of a junk closet. They consisted of comics i wound up with in 90-92. I found 6 copies of NM 98 which i had bagged/boarded when i got them from the distributor when they were published. I knew nothing about grading, but a couple of LCS reviews said they should be 9.0 or better. Wife and i went to Amazing Arizona on vacation and got them signed by Liefeld. Submitted them to CGC/SS and are awaiting results. We watched the DP movie with Rob in a theater he had reserved as well. He seemed to be nice enough in my dealings with him. We enjoyed the weekend and i submitted about 30 books to CGC signature series with various Liefeld/Claremont/Perez/Rubenstien/Eastman signatures. Eight of these were Infinity Gauntlet #1 x3, 2 x1, 3 x2, and 4 x2, which i had dual signed. The chance to rediscover my inner geekdom in my mid 50s was priceless. I would do it again, but this time i would be able to see if the books needed pressing before i did all this!

One note on signature pricing. It may have been because it was the opening weekend of the movie, but when we approached the Liefeld booth, we were presented a price schedule. It was $50 for a NM 98 and possibly NM 97? I think $20 for other titles. Also, if CGC was receiving the books it was $10 extra per book for Rob. It happened so fast it was a blur, but i layed out $540 for 6 NM 98, 4 NM 100, and 2 Spidey/Deadpool Comiccon VIP swag sketch variants.

I am a noob coming back to this and i hope i do not get judged badly for trying to recover monies i lost in the 90s in a failed business attempt. I do plan on being active in this hobby into my retirement as well. My goal currently is to trim the ~ 2000 books i had into a 200 book collection.

Edited by WheresmyYeti

Wait, there was a pricing difference based on signing different issues?

We don't have CGC SS here in Australia, but it sounds strange there isn't just a single price for a signature.

Well, here in the U S of A, Liefeld only charged $5 to sign my butt . . . :insane:

I am a noob coming back to this and i hope i do not get judged badly for trying to recover monies i lost in the 90s in a failed business attempt. I do plan on being active in this hobby into my retirement as well.

Hey, that was Rob's whole deal prior to the Deadpool movie too!

Wait, there was a pricing difference based on signing different issues?

We don't have CGC SS here in Australia, but it sounds strange there isn't just a single price for a signature.

I was at a convention where Neal Adams was giving out a free signature on any book at all on the first day (1 time only per person), but not if you had a CGC witness with you. I had a really nice girl helping me, and maybe he doesn't like SS sales, but the way he treated her for doing her job made him fall a few pegs in my book.

Yes, we were with the pretty brunette girl who has a interview video on the CGC website. When we approached the table for our turn with Liefeld a price list was provided. NM 98 and the other hot issue, 87, was singled out for the $50 fee. All others were $20. Plus CGC signatures were charged a $10 per signature surcharge for Liefeld. I had read on the internet and went to the event expecting $30 per for his signature.

As i stated above, this was my first time doing this. I do not know if it was because the movie was opening that day or if it is a standard practice for him.

They were all different in what they asked for in return for signing. Most common is $10 per, one asked $10 for CGC, $5 for non CGC. Perez gave out 50 raffle tickets Friday, 100 Saturday and Sunday. The ticket gets you time for sketches/signatures. You are encouraged to donate to a wounded veterans' charity in return for his time. One artist signed for free because of the VIP badge.

The whole event was a noobish experiment that my wife and i used as a vacation. It was a blast and we enjoyed it.

I've had to sell off my 9.8 awhile ago due to a hardship, but was able to get back in the game with this stunning 9.4 for 325 plus some tax over here at Heroes & Fantasies

I figured with a press it should go up.

20160729_150611_zpsl30bccjf.jpg

Liefeld charged $70...yes, that's SEVENTY DOLLARS...to sign a single copy of New Mutants #87 or #98 at San Diego if it was headed to CGC.

I'll rant further elsewhere, but I am done...forever...with Rob Liefeld signing anything ever again.

Damn...pretty pricey I'd say.

Liefeld charged $70...yes, that's SEVENTY DOLLARS...to sign a single copy of New Mutants #87 or #98 at San Diego if it was headed to CGC.

I'll rant further elsewhere, but I am done...forever...with Rob Liefeld signing anything ever again.

Damn...pretty pricey I'd say.

He's cashing in on the popularity of his creation. Not like anything he's come out with in the last 10+ years has shaken the world. If Stan still gets a hundy to sign a book I'm sure Rob feels he's worth about the same. Heck, he probably thinks he's cutting you a break at $70.00.