• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

War Comics
18 18

11,081 posts in this topic

Sounds like a great time, Andy. I would have loved to have been there but I couldn't secure a badge when they went on sale via the Con's online website. I keep trying to no avail. I'll try again next year.

By the way I have a beautiful copy of Our Army at War 83 that I'm considering offering for sale.

The grade is 6.5 with OW/W PQ and it is slabbed by the good folks at CGC.

I need to know the FMV of the book though before I offer it for sale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Sounds like a great time, Andy. I would have loved to have been there but I couldn't secure a badge when they went on sale via the Con's online website. I keep trying to no avail. I'll try again next year.

By the way I have a beautiful copy of Our Army at War 83 that I'm considering offering for sale.

The grade is 6.5 with OW/W PQ and it is slabbed by the good folks at CGC.

I need to know the FMV of the book though before I offer it for sale.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

I believe Robert Overstreet just published a book that would be helpful with that!

Hey Steve,

Here's the latest info that can be scraped from GPA:

5.0 $2152 March 2013

5.5 $1315 August 2010

6.0 $5500 April 2016

6.5 $5906 Feb 2013

7.0 $7400 June 2014

7.5 n/a

8.0 $16730 Aug 2015

Great book. PM sent.

I'll post some pics as well, but I don't know if there will be any better ones than Chag's (Mervin's).

I had an absolute blast this trip. I was only at the show for the tail end of Wednesday, but I did get all of Thursday and all of Friday in.

The highlight was meeting the legend, Russ Heath. He was very kind and accommodating. A funny guy, as well. I sure hope he is able to make another go of it next year. :wishluck:

He's 90 (or nearly 90) right now, and mobility is appearing to be an issue. I'm so proud of him for coming out this year and extremely thankful as well.

I bought a gorgeous painting of his in the auction at the war comics banquet. 70 years old!! I'll post it later. I bought a few more little sketches and prints from him later on in the night.

I've been to this dinner twice now, and it has always been a lot of fun. Mick has chosen a great venue and puts on a fun show. 20 years, wow!! Take a friggen bow, Mick! :applause:

--the show was great as well. I heard the show wasn't very good for comics, but I found quite a lot. Picked up a really sweet OFF 71 on the Friday. :banana:

Andy

Thanks for the kudos, Dan, Andy, and Michael! It was a pleasure every step of the way. We pulled out SO MANY of the original artists over the years. I'm still in awe of meeting them. To me they're ROCK STARS! But then, so are my friends who have reliably attended so many of the banquets. It wouldn't be the same without you guys. Hard to imagine that it's been 21 years! Yikes!

Part of it is that I look for excuses to eat some Filippi's vinegar. (with a side of pizza, of course).

Mick

Edited by Comick1

The 21st War Comics Summit!

IMG_0184_zpsmlgm9xrb.jpg

The pizza was delicious!

IMG_0185_zpswh6wcbiv.jpg

The boys and girl at the table:

IMG_0181_zpslky60qzt.jpg

IMG_0182_zpsnqitevlz.jpg

IMG_0186_zpsqwny7ecb.jpg

IMG_0187_zpskjxapiwo.jpg

Meeting Russ Heath:

IMG_0179_zps0u4rlpsd.jpg

Russ signing some books and my Overstreet for me:

IMG_0200_zps3kskphxa.jpg

Me, Matt Ballesteros, and Mr. Russ Heath:

IMG_0210_zpsl7otapur.jpg

1) Try the pizza at either Tomato Pie or Vitto's Pizzeria in Los Angeles, It is so much better.

2) I don't understand why someone would crack open the slab of that OAAW

Having said all that I wish I was there but I'm gonna try like heck to get a badge and room next year. I don't know how you guys do it. Last two years I've tried and tried to no avail.

Steve

Edited by Stevenrams

Thanks for the kudos, Dan, Andy, and Michael! It was a pleasure every step of the way. We pulled out SO MANY of the original artists over the years. I'm still in awe of meeting them. To me they're ROCK STARS! But then, so are my friends who have reliably attended so many of the banquets. It wouldn't be the same without you guys. Hard to imagine that it's been 21 years! Yikes!

Part of it is that I look for excuses to eat some Filippi's vinegar. (with a side of pizza, of course).

Mick

Another splendid time was had by all. Great job organizing this, Mick!

1) Try the pizza at either Tomato Pie or Vitto's Pizzeria in Los Angeles, It is so much better.

Steve

Those are some pretty strong words, there, pardner! I'm gonna hit up those places in LA just to see if you're right, but I'm a skeptic by nature. There's quite a high bar that's been set by Filippi's. Nonetheless, I'll be as objective as possible.

Where are these establishments?

Steve

Those are some pretty strong words, there, pardner! I'm gonna hit up those places in LA just to see if you're right, but I'm a skeptic by nature. There's quite a high bar that's been set by Filippi's. Nonetheless, I'll be as objective as possible.

Where are these establishments? [/quote

Vito's pizza is located at 846 La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles. It's Just south of Santa Monica Blvd on the east side of the street in a strip mall.

Tomato Pie is located at 7751 Melrose Ave in Los Angeles.

I prefer Vito's; I've been eating there for years. Vito's was originally located across the street from LACC on Vermont Ave and Vito moved to his current location many years ago.

Anytime you want to meet me there, Mick, just LMK. We can bring a few War Books

BTW--Vito's is a hole in the wall. There are a few indoor tables so it's best to meet before the lunch rush or after the lunch rush.

A Saturday afternoon would be great as I have season seats to my beloved LA Rams during the football season so Sundays are out.

Steve

Bravo, War Collectors! You guys are doing it right!

Flippers and speculators take note; THIS is how you enjoy this hobby.

The War Collectors are a shining example of what's great about comic book fandom. (thumbs u

Steve

Where are these establishments? [/quote

Vito's pizza is located at 846 La Cienega Blvd in Los Angeles. It's Just south of Santa Monica Blvd on the east side of the street in a strip mall.

Tomato Pie is located at 7751 Melrose Ave in Los Angeles.

I prefer Vito's; I've been eating there for years. Vito's was originally located across the street from LACC on Vermont Ave and Vito moved to his current location many years ago.

Anytime you want to meet me there, Mick, just LMK. We can bring a few War Books

BTW--Vito's is a hole in the wall. There are a few indoor tables so it's best to meet before the lunch rush or after the lunch rush.

A Saturday afternoon would be great as I have season seats to my beloved LA Rams during the football season so Sundays are out.

Steve

Sounds good. I'll give you a shout next time I'm in Smell-A.

You guys want real pizza? Come east

I've lived in LA and NY, and the best pizza in Los Angeles is just okay by NY standards. In part it's the same reason bagels and bialys are better there - the water used in making the dough.

You guys want real pizza? Come east

I've lived in LA and NY, and the best pizza in Los Angeles is just okay by NY standards. In part it's the same reason bagels and bialys are better there - the water used in making the dough.

The water thing has been debunked, actually. And I say that as a champion of NY pizza. (NY's still the best, just for different reasons, which I forget and am too lazy to google.)