• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre- Hero Marvels!!!!
16 16

15,009 posts in this topic

You have amassed an incredible PH collection! :headbang:

My collection will probably be the last books I ever sell off, when the time comes.

Thank you very much !

After lurking the boards and this thread for 24% of my life, glad I can finally contribute :)

Got to give a shout out to the people who inspired & educated me on the PHM world : Nelson (my first comic dealer who steered me toward the PHMs), Punyhuman (for starting this thread), Forbush-Man, Sharkey, Red-Hook, Divad, ThatPOVGuy, Silver Surfer, AdamStrange, SFilosa, TheWatcher, TRMoore54, AtlasFan, Cheetah, KirbyJack, JimJum12, Bronty and you ! Sorry if I missed any others !

After 7 years of focusing on these books, I'm almost halfway to having all 164 of the PHMs in VF/8.0 or better grade. I gave up collecting SA Marvel superheroes around 2008, because "collecting" became more like "ordering" from eBay or another website and not hunting - these PHMs have been a small game hunters dream !

And like you, these books will probably be the last to go when I finally sell it all off.

-bc

You've made fantastic progress! Good luck on the rest. :applause:

Bravo, BC!

I will soon be rereading Strange Tales 101-146, so I'll get to revisit some pre hero gems! Looking forward to it!

You kept some of your collection??? :headbang:

I'm keeping the stuff I really love.

Thor/JIM, Strange Tales 101-146 (and of course ann. 2!), select Captain America stuff like Avengers 4, ToS 59, etc., cherished Bronze I bought as a kid, a handful of PHM, ASM 1-5 (so if I want to, I can re-collect the run. Nobody tell Mrs. KirbyJack!), 3 GA books, and naturally, my beloved Fantastic Four!

I'm not out, it's just a super-purge!

Bravo, BC!

I will soon be rereading Strange Tales 101-146, so I'll get to revisit some pre hero gems! Looking forward to it!

You kept some of your collection??? :headbang:

I'm keeping the stuff I really love.

Thor/JIM, Strange Tales 101-146 (and of course ann. 2!), select Captain America stuff like Avengers 4, ToS 59, etc., cherished Bronze I bought as a kid, a handful of PHM, ASM 1-5 (so if I want to, I can re-collect the run. Nobody tell Mrs. KirbyJack!), 3 GA books, and naturally, my beloved Fantastic Four!

I'm not out, it's just a super-purge!

(thumbs u It did hurt my heart to see you sell what you did. I have been in a not interested collecting funk as of late. :cry:

I'm still very happy with my collection, and still quite interested in the entire hobby.

I'm going to post about this whole endeavor when it all settles out. No need to feel bad about my purge! I always seem to enjoy what's left even more after these things!

I'm still very happy with my collection, and still quite interested in the entire hobby.

I'm going to post about this whole endeavor when it all settles out. No need to feel bad about my purge! I always seem to enjoy what's left even more after these things!

Couldn't agree more having done it myself several times due to various reasons.

Also, very glad to see your collecting interest continues!

To BAF - With what you've shared the past several years, it's okay to take a break !!! :)

-bc

Glad to see you Divad !

Here's another that got dorked in a prior post because I actually spent time organizing my photobucket :

tos_31_zpsezrr4qzy.jpg

-bc

Edited by bc

I picked up very little in SD, but I did find a very nice Kid Colt 100 which now puts me at having 3 of the 4 Pre-Hero Marvel monster/westerns in nice shape. I don't think I'll ever pay up for a 2GK 56, having had one I struggle to consider it a true "monster" book. But if a sharp copy fell into my lap on the cheap, I wouldn't turn it down.

20160725_120537_zps0pf2hmxu.jpg

20160725_121102_zpswiucgmof.jpg

20160726_174045_zpsmyi3zg1w.jpg

Quite a trio, buttock! :applause:

Wow! Those are fantastic, might be the best copies I've ever seen. Congrats! :headbang:

None of them are "true" monster books, but I'd put KCO #100 as the odd man out. The dino-creature in TGK #58 even though phony is drawn like every other Kirby/Ayers house-stomper and appears in panel after panel.

I picked up very little in SD, but I did find a very nice Kid Colt 100 which now puts me at having 3 of the 4 Pre-Hero Marvel monster/westerns in nice shape. I don't think I'll ever pay up for a 2GK 56, having had one I struggle to consider it a true "monster" book. But if a sharp copy fell into my lap on the cheap, I wouldn't turn it down.

Those are beautiful. I've got the bottom two, I've never run across the others in decent shape for a price I wanted to pay. I may need to get around to scanning my copies.

Wow! Those are fantastic, might be the best copies I've ever seen. Congrats! :headbang:

None of them are "true" monster books, but I'd put KCO #100 as the odd man out. The dino-creature in TGK #58 even though phony is drawn like every other Kirby/Ayers house-stomper and appears in panel after panel.

KCO is a true monster book, the guy is an alien just like on the cover. I'd put RK 22 as the next most "monsterish" and I'll concede on the other two. But TGK 58 has a lame cover IMO and the story failed to do anything for me when I did own a copy or two, while KCO 100 just has a spectacular cover. The completionist in me is torn... :frustrated:

Those are beautiful. I've got the bottom two, I've never run across the others in decent shape for a price I wanted to pay. I may need to get around to scanning my copies.

I think I got my KCO 107 around 1996, my RK 22 around 2006, and my KCO 100 in 2016. A decade per book seems fair, no?

KCO is a true monster book, the guy is an alien just like on the cover. I'd put RK 22 as the next most "monsterish" and I'll concede on the other two. But TGK 58 has a lame cover IMO and the story failed to do anything for me when I did own a copy or two, while KCO 100 just has a spectacular cover. The completionist in me is torn... :frustrated:

An alien yes, but drawn by Jack Keller. lol I try not to be disparaging about artists but his work on those Kid Colt books really dampens my enthusiasm for reading them. I always prefer the backup stories by other folks.

I haven't read the Totem in a while, but the dino-critter from TGK #58 aesthetically would fit right into an early Tales of Suspense or Tales to Astonish. I agree it has a weak cover, looks like a bit of a rush job.

That might be my old copy, if you got it from Dale. It was sharp.

Probably so. Did you upgrade?

No. It went away during one of my periodic collection purges.

:headbang: Those books rock !

Beautiful glossy copies of tough issues :cloud9:

Gratz !

-bc