• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Whats the best comic you have ever read?
1 1

233 posts in this topic

Adventure Comics 210, 214, and 220 containing the first three appearances of Krypto.

Action Comics 242, the first appearance of Brainiac

Superman 123--Supergirl Tryout

Superboy 68-1st appearance and origin of Bizzaro

Superman 146--Classic Silver Age Origin of Superman

Strange Tales 110 and 115--First Apperance of Dr. Strange (110) and the origin of the character in issue 115.

Shade the Changing Man #1 (1990 2nd Series) had me from page 1: a woman on page 1? (Till that point I had only read Spideys and mutant stuff, Excalibur, Bats--thought all comics were about men with super powers).

But wait, why is there a woman in the background emerging through the asphalt? Who's that dead guy on the roof? And in one page this character mentions sex, vodka, and being crazy? I was pretty much in love with Kathy George. By the time the cops showed up at her parents' house, I was hooked, and decided I'd have to have every issue. Shade changed me from a comic reader to a comic collector.

Although, I read a few superhero comics in the 70s, it wasn't until about 1981 that I delved full into the realm of men and women in tights. One of the first comics I can remember was Avengers Annual 10. Killer Mike Golden artwork and one of the best Avengers battles ever. It's still one of my favorite comics today.

I remember Secret Wars being very exciting. That series was like a wet dream for a comic book fanboy.

Locke & Key #1 First Print

Not the 2nd print, reprint or tpb versions.

Hill altered those versions.

The 1st print was a modern masterpiece.

Even the first 5 page preview in like 7 different books was bone chilling at the time. Something like that happened in my area (Mont Vernon, NH) and the graphic novel's aftermath was just as respectful to the victims, like it happened in real life.

Edited by NewEnglandGothic

On 26/3/2017 at 11:55 PM, NewEnglandGothic said:

Locke & Key #1 First Print

Not the 2nd print, reprint or tpb versions.

Hill altered those versions.

The 1st print was a modern masterpiece.

Even the first 5 page preview in like 7 different books was bone chilling at the time. Something like that happened in my area (Mont Vernon, NH) and the graphic novel's aftermath was just as respectful to the victims, like it happened in real life.

A. Moore 'From Hell.'

that one struck me point blank.

As a kid I read Wolverine #10 at least one hundred times.  That and X-Men 213 were my two favorite issues.  Wolverine was my favorite character (like it was for most everybody at that time) and Sabretooth was by far the most legitimate villain in the Marvel universe.  He was totally detestable and evil.  How it was suggested that he raped Silverfox before he killed her really established just how bad he was.   Furthermore, he beat Wolverine soundly and it was traumatic to me at the time that the good guy lost. 

That story in its Canadian wilderness location and how it took place before Wolverine got his claws really did a lot to make me understand how those two characters hated each other so much.

Needless to say, it was devastating to me in Wolverine #50 or so when it was revealed that the whole sequence was a memory implant or something.  I was so baffled and disappointed that the writers would jump the shark like that and take away what should have been the iconic early wolverine tale.  I stopped reading all together when he lost his adamantium and turned feral.  To this day, my X-Men and Wolverine collection ends at 304 and 75 respectively.  In my mind the events in #10 are cannon.

The Infinity Gauntlet saga when growing up as a teen.  Got me back into the hobby after years of hiatus when Thanos made his on screen appearance.

Also I love Jademan comics with all the martial arts mythology also.  Too bad they went under here in the US.

Edited by redknight99

Torso was pretty good

I really like Manhattan Projects but I wish Hickman was a little more patient and paced his books more. He moves way too fast and doesn't seem to know how to (or perhaps he doesn't want to) draw things out for effect.

Edited by Jerkfro

Old thread but good thread.  So many great reads hard to pick one favorite. I agree on Locke &Key

I loved the first 40-50 Walking dead comics.  I also loved invincible!

Fear agent

Sweet tooth

Fantastic Four #48-50

y the last man

Planetary

DD--- born again

Ms Marvel-Kamala the beginning books.

This is going to sound strange, but I stumbled onto Somerset Holmes (1983) back in the late 1990s and found it to be a really creepy and intriguing storyline. A woman simply walking down the road, almost hit by a car, gets amnesia, stumbles to the home of a doctor, can't remember who she is, then realizes someone is out to kill her. 

Just a cool story.

On 12/16/2005 at 1:02 PM, goldust40 said:

Watchmen 12, Daredevil 181, Preacher 14, Amazing Spider-Man 149, the David Boring story arc in Eightball by Clowes.

Such good taste. I was going to say:

Preacher, Like A Velvet Glove Cast in Iron, Y the Last Man, Blackhole, the 1st story arc of Goon, Bone and of course The Man by Vaughn Bode.