• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Custom Blanks

28 posts in this topic

I remember seeing several years ago someone had created custom blank sketch covers and attached them to several different modern books. I'm just curious who that was and what type of paper or card stock did they use to create the cover? As well, where You would print them, so they maintain the high solid cover and found the stats to put on it?

I would love to create a Batman Animated or Batman Adventures Blank and get some sketches on it.

So do I, but until then, I will just have to create my own, just need some guidance. Like type of paper he used, what did he use to print the custom stats and lastly, what won't they slab. I read about the overhang thing, but is that still an issue?

a custom cover could be created on regular, semi gloss or glossy card stock available at most any place that does printing.

If you want the text/ title logos to be printed on the card stock create a PDF file with the stuff done on layout and have it printed for you then cut to size/ fit the book.

If you are also going to have an artist do some work for you have the printing done on the regular non glossy card stock as it is easier for an artist to work on.

I did this Amazing Fantasy 15 on a "Troy" blank.

AF15ditkocover004_zpsf04f7b60.jpg

a custom cover could be created on regular, semi gloss or glossy card stock available at most any place that does printing.

If you want the text/ title logos to be printed on the card stock create a PDF file with the stuff done on layout and have it printed for you then cut to size/ fit the book.

If you are also going to have an artist do some work for you have the printing done on the regular non glossy card stock as it is easier for an artist to work on.

Thanks Karl,

Would that paper be too thick to slide under a staple? Would staples have that paper? Would they also print PSD files? While we are at it, what type of printing process do you recommend, color photocopy, color laser, ...?

Edited by Captain Canuck

Thanks Karl,

Would that paper be too thick to slide under a staple? Would staples have that paper? Would they also print PSD files? While we are at it, what type of printing process do you recommend, color photocopy, color laser, ...?

Color laser would be best in my opinion as it is higher quality.

Staples would definitely have options for paper. The cardstock doesn't have to be extremely thick, the thickest you really need to go is about the same as the paper used for business cards which they have.

Find the Batman Adventures lettering/ logo you are looking for in as large a size as you can find and crop it in a paint/ art program. If that is to much for you, you could cut and paste it to a piece of paper and have them "photocopy" (in color/ black and white) the type onto the cardstock you want.

Since you know first hand Karl from working on one of Troy's blanks, how thick was his paper and how was it attached to the book? Was there any overhang of the cover?

It was rather thick, like double the thickness of a business card. It was folded in half to create the spine and had holes poked for the staples and the staples were removed from the comic and the Troy blank cover was put on the comic and the staples put back in place.

Yes it had some overhang as the paper used was custom cut to be slightly larger than the comic.

Edited by Artboy99

Does anyone know if the custom cover could be encapsulated in the CGC slab if it is not permanently attached to the book?

Leave the regular cover on the book and simply wrap the book in the custom?

Well, if the staples were removed wouldn't it come back PLOD? I was thinking of just leaving the original cover on and putting it over it. If I remove the staples, any size for the stock is applicable, but if I create tabs and slide it under than size of the paper matters. If the custom cover is not attached, then they won't slab it.