• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

lol Tony, I swear, i said to myself, "If I leave out St. John, would Sqeegs notice?..nah!"

Certainly a contender as since you mentioned them, they must be on your(and possibly many others) list. Ok Gator, add in St. John.

Sqeegs.... :foryou:

:acclaim:

Nah, St. John wouldn't rate. :sumo:

What about EC?

(great question about ranking, Sagii)

lol Tony, I swear, i said to myself, "If I leave out St. John, would Sqeegs notice?..nah!"

Certainly a contender as since you mentioned them, they must be on your(and possibly many others) list. Ok Gator, add in St. John.

Sqeegs.... :foryou:

:acclaim:

Nah, St. John wouldn't rate. :sumo:

What about EC?

(great question about ranking, Sagii)

Thanks Sacentaur, i did include EC. I have my opinions, i'm just waiting for GAtor to weigh in to see how off and/or on track i am.

But i certainly left out another big gun: Nedor. doh!

Edited by Sagii

But i certainly left out another big gun: Nedor. doh!

Borderline (I'd substitute them for Ace), but I see your dilemma.

Should make for an interesting discussion once the might GAtor chimes in!

Curious about this as well... I'm trying to build a mid-grade run of Captain Marvel Adventures, but interest in Fawcett seems focused on Master, CM Jr, and This Magazine is Haunted. Given that CMA often sells below guide, I'm hoping all the old timers have a "been there, done that" attitude about the title.

Gator, have I found myself a comfortable niche, or is there more competition than what I'm aware of?

3-fox

4-mlj

5-fiction house

6-fawcett

7-ec

8-centaur

9-quality

10-ace, though I would put lev Gleason ahead of ace and probably quality too

I figured that Fox would be right up there. Before it was Lou Fine/Joe Simon that helped propel that publisher (along with GGA, of course), but now that the later Fox issues are on fire, they've taken a big jump.

Archie gives the MLJ superheroes a large boost.

Fiction House has lots of cheesecake, and they have Planet as a flagship title.

Good stuff, as always, rick.

I'm in the car driving to a basketball camp in Mississippi but when I get to the hotel I'll elaborate my thoughts and curious others take as well

I figured that Fox would be right up there. Before it was Lou Fine/Joe Simon that helped propel that publisher (along with GGA, of course), but now that the later Fox issues are on fire, they've taken a big jump.

Archie gives the MLJ superheroes a large boost.

Fiction House has lots of cheesecake, and they have Planet as a flagship title.

Good stuff, as always, rick.

+ 1. I kind of thought that's how his list would pan out, and i agree with your views as to why. Full disclosure, biased Ace man, but i was sure they'd end up #10, and/or people feeling they're not quite in the top 10.....yet.

I'm in the car driving to a basketball camp in Mississippi but when I get to the hotel I'll elaborate my thoughts and curious others take as well

if you're driving alone, do you talk to yourself?

but of course but in this case I have Trent with me

SWISH technique. Get back to 80%+ kid :)

SWISH technique. Get back to 80%+ kid :)
got him refocused. 10/10

I agree that FP 2/10 is just as significant, but let's be realistic, no many folks banging down doors looking for Gustavson's arrow books these days (though they should!)...

It would appear that none of the Centaur hero books, including even Amazing-Man himself, are not holding up as well as the main super-hero books for the Big 2.

If true, that's really not a surprise - Centaurs are not transacting as much as the Big 2 (DC and Timely), there are no movies propelling them to the forefront, and in the GA field they are a collecting niche.

I love Centaurs because they are pre-Timelys (Everett, Burgos, Gustavson, Mills, etc.) with a dash of DC feel tossed in. :)

To clarify, I guess what I am really saying is that it is the super-hero books that are really powering the Big 2 in terms of their upward price movement. With the Centaurs though, from a relative pint of view, it's not just the super-hero books that are moving the prices upwards, but also the earlier harder to find non-hero books.

Certainly not the case with DC's, in particular, where many of the early pre-hero books appears to be in more of a a price lull relative to their later super-hero formats. The strength in the Centaurs are much more diversified throughout their entire line of books. (thumbs u

I love Centaurs because they are from the earlier part of the GA and just so much tougher to track down. :cloud9:

Edited by lou_fine

We all know DC and Marvel(Timely, Atlas) sit atop the publisher collector base hierarchy. So, using only the following criteria: 1)Demand you get from customers, 2)Thread devotion/participation, 3)prices realized, and 4)number of 'on the radar' issues, how would you rank the following publishers for the number 3 - 10 slots?

3-fox

4-mlj

5-fiction house

6-fawcett

7-ec

8-centaur

9-quality

10-ace, though I would put lev Gleason ahead of ace and probably quality too

Wow, surprised to see that Fox finished up in your #3 spot as I thought the lack of supply and subsequent sales would have been enough to keep it further down the list.

Well, since you have Fox listed as #3 and MLJ listed as #4, what would be the Top 10 books from these 2 publishers based upon the current marketplace today. I assume it would be easy to put Fantastic 3 and Mystery Men 3 along with Pep 22 and Archie 1 at the top of both of those lists, but what books from your point of view would follow after that? hm