• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Official Tick Appreciation Thread
7 7

2,264 posts in this topic

Got inspired last night to customize one of my old and weathered 15" tall Tick toys. It's a work in progress. Picked up some Sugru at Target to mold his antennas around some insulated copper wire and used Apoxie for his cowling. I'm thinking about trimming down the length of his neck, and then prepping him for a cool paint job. Guess you would call it an animated version of the original live tv version of The Tick.

n1t104.jpg

I'll probably post up the finished product over at FigureRealm whenever I get to it at http://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure?action=view&id=47505

Edited by vsndesigns

THE TICK ARTICLE IN SCI-FI UNIVERSE MAGAZINE JANUARY 1996 FROM LARRY FLYNT

THE TICK ARTICLE IN SCI-FI UNIVERSE MAGAZINE JANUARY 1996 FROM LARRY FLYNT PRODUCTIONS. YES, THE SAME LARRY FLYNT. $4.99 DISPLAY UNTIL JANUARY 2, 1996. UPC NO. 074369502253. EDITED BY MARK ALTMAN. THE MAGAZINE WAS MARK ALTMAN'S DREAM, AND IT WAS PUBLISHED BY LARRY FLYNT STARTING IN 1994. BUT WHEN FLYNT WASN'T FOR HIM, HE SOLD SCI-FI UNIVERSE-JUST THE TITLE, NOT THE STAFF-TO SOVEREIGN MEDIA, WHERE IT WAS REVAMPED WITH A NEW LOOK AND A NEW DIRECTION.

25tuxhz.jpg

THE DUO'S TV ADVENTURES (WHICH NUMBERED 13 DURING THE FIRST SEASON WITH 13 MORE FOR THE SHOW'S SECOND SEASON WHICH BEGAN SEPTEMBER 9) ARE ALMOST INVARIABLY DESCRIBED AS "BIZARRE" BY ITS MAKERS. ("VERY FEW PEOPLE HAVE THIS FREEDOM," SAYS WRITER RICHARD LIEBMANN-SMITH.) THIS OSTENSIBLE "COMIC BOOK SHOW FOR KIDS" CONTAINS REFERENCES TO HOMER'S THE ILIAD AND EXISTENTIALISM, AND EVEN HAS A CHARACTER (THE BATMAN-ESQUE DIE FLEDERMAUS) NAMED AFTER AN 1874 JOHANN STRAUSS OPERETTA.

"THE SCRIPTS ON THE TICK ARE SO SUPERIOR TO ANYTHING I'VE GOTTEN MY HANDS ON BEFORE," SAYS HANK TUCKER, A VETERAN (GOOF TROOP, SPIDER-MAN) OF THE TV TOON BUSINESS WHO JOINED THE TICK TEAM THIS YEAR AS THE SHOW'S PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR. (ART VITELLO HANDLED SOME DUTIES DURING THE SHOW'S FIRST SEASON.)

"WHAT'S HAPPENING ON THE TICK IS THAT EVERYBODY AT EVERY LEVEL IS DOING WORK THAT'S PLEASING TO THEM," TUCKER SAYS.

AND THIS "DO-WHAT-PLEASES-YOU" THING WOULD SEEM TO HAVE BEEN CREATOR BEN EDLUND'S PLAN ALL ALONG -- HAD BEN EDLUND HAD A PLAN. BUT HE DIDN'T. HE'S JUST KIND OF DREW A SUPERHERO. AND HE JUST KIND OF MADE A COMIC BOOK. AND HE JUST KIND OF SOLD THE TV SHOW. AND HE'S JUST KIND OF WATCHED THE TICK POP UP ON LUNCH BOXES AND MILK CAPS AND BOXES OF LIFE CEREAL AND CLIMB TO NO. 3 IN THE SATURDAY MORNING RATINGS' RACE, BEHIND FELLOW FOX SUPERHERO SHOWS THE X-MEN AND SPIDER-MAN.

SAYS EDLUND: "IT'S ALWAYS BEEN SORT OF JUST ME KIND OF SCREWING AROUND." THE 26-YEAR-OLD EDLUND IS THE ANTITHESIS OF THE BOISTEROUS, BOOMING, BOUNDING TICK -- HE'S LAID-BACK, SOFT-SPOKEN AND NOT AT ALL UNDER ANY ILLUSIONS THAT HE HAS THE POWER TO SAVE THE WORLD FROM EVIL.

SPOOOOOOOONNNNN!!!

Before SDCC the NEC e-mail newsletter mentioned that they would have the ashcans for Tick 1 and 2 as well the 1st app newsletter for sale at their booth.

I've never seen a #2 ashcan. Did anyone get a peek at it?

@kpaqu1 Here you go! Take a look at page 81 of this thread. I wonder what different colors were made available at the time?

Edited by vsndesigns

Here is one of a few books that Ben was absolutely delighted to see...

4gq5u9.jpg

:cloud9:

Awesome find dude! :golfclap:(worship) I sent mine to CGC but they said they couldn't do it. With Ben Edlund and Bob Polio both being there, did you try getting CGC to witness yours?

Edited by vsndesigns

4gq5u9.jpg

Awesome find dude! :golfclap:(worship) I sent mine to CGC but they said they couldn't do it. With Ben Edlund and Bob Polio both being there, did you try getting CGC to witness yours?

I did make an attempt at it with CGC but knew what the answer would be. I even asked if Bob and Ben verified it themselves if they'd slab it and they said no. I understand because that wouldn't be the case for every one subbed. They had two and I wound up picking up both and had Ben sign both. I'm so happy to finally have them in my collection now. :luhv:

4gq5u9.jpg

I did make an attempt at it with CGC but knew what the answer would be. I even asked if Bob and Ben verified it themselves if they'd slab it and they said no. I understand because that wouldn't be the case for every one subbed. They had two and I wound up picking up both and had Ben sign both. I'm so happy to finally have them in my collection now. :luhv:

Dude, either way, you SCORED!!! Only a handful of people have those on this planet, most of them distributors. Consider yourself lucky and blessed! Good job mah man! p.s. did you get anyone to photo op you with those guys and your book? Just thinking. :makepoint:

Edited by vsndesigns

The Tick Black and Red Promo Comic Experiment (1st Edition 1990)

1znrla8.jpg

Front Cover

2i7nzig.jpg

Back Cover

This 16-page two-color'ashcan' was released in 1990 as an experiment in low cost comics. Well the experiment sorta failed but it did leave us with one of the rarest Tick comics!

Greetings and salutations to all our friends, We would like to apologize to those of you who have waited patiently for the "surprise" we promised for sending in your 1990 NEC survey. At least your patience has been rewarded! Enclosed you will find a rare "TEST ISSUE" of THE TICK. This special 16-page trial version was prepared in response to feedback we got from our survey question regarding possible future formats for THE TICK. So whadday think, hmmm? This "proto-TICK" is being sent only to respondents to the NEC Survey. While the total print run of this item is technically "top secret", we can tell you here that the number of existing copies is lower than virtually any other Tick comic book. (I'm guessing less than 500 based on cgcforum) We shudder to think what the Price Guide value of the "proto-Tick" will someday be! Mind-boggling, no doubt... We hope this make you feel mighty special, and well you might--not only for your invaluable assistance and contribution to the NEC Survey, but also for your unswerving devotion to comicdom's favorite arachnid! Also enclosed is the limited edition commemorative button, with which you may broadcast to the world that you, amonst few, survived the NEC 1990 Survey. We hope that you can stand all of this excitement in one sitting! So from all of us at NEC to all of you, we say thanks again and hope that we can continue to thrill and delight you in the months ahead. Yours until comicdom's first favorite arachnid cracks under the strain of competition, New England Comics. (Letter sent with this promo ashcan comic).

4gq5u9.jpg

Dude, either way, you SCORED!!! Only a handful of people have those on this planet, most of them distributors. Consider yourself lucky and blessed! Good job mah man! p.s. did you get anyone to photo op you with those guys and your book? Just thinking. :makepoint:

I didn't take any pictures with the ashcan and the guys but I did get a few pictures I'll share in a bit.

1znrla8.jpg

Front Cover

2i7nzig.jpg

Back Cover

This 16-page two-color'ashcan' was released in 1990 as an experiment in low cost comics. Well the experiment sorta failed but it did leave us with one of the rarest Tick comics!

Greetings and salutations to all our friends, We would like to apologize to those of you who have waited patiently for the "surprise" we promised for sending in your 1990 NEC survey. At least your patience has been rewarded! Enclosed you will find a rare "TEST ISSUE" of THE TICK. This special 16-page trial version was prepared in response to feedback we got from our survey question regarding possible future formats for THE TICK. So whadday think, hmmm? This "proto-TICK" is being sent only to respondents to the NEC Survey. While the total print run of this item is technically "top secret", we can tell you here that the number of existing copies is lower than virtually any other Tick comic book. (I'm guessing less than 500 based on cgcforum) We shudder to think what the Price Guide value of the "proto-Tick" will someday be! Mind-boggling, no doubt... We hope this make you feel mighty special, and well you might--not only for your invaluable assistance and contribution to the NEC Survey, but also for your unswerving devotion to comicdom's favorite arachnid! Also enclosed is the limited edition commemorative button, with which you may broadcast to the world that you, amonst few, survived the NEC 1990 Survey. We hope that you can stand all of this excitement in one sitting! So from all of us at NEC to all of you, we say thanks again and hope that we can continue to thrill and delight you in the months ahead. Yours until comicdom's first favorite arachnid cracks under the strain of competition, New England Comics. (Letter sent with this promo ashcan comic).

mmde9f.jpg

:grin:

1znrla8.jpg

Front Cover

2i7nzig.jpg

Back Cover

mmde9f.jpg

:grin:

Nicely done! (thumbs u

Here are the sketches I was so completely honored to have done by Ben...

2eqb9zd.jpg

The one on the lower left has a small Arthur sketch that was done by the new Arthur being played by Griffin Newman which is below a Tick sketch by Ben. All of the rest were done by Ben and what made it even better was had a such a laugh when he had to look up a reference when I asked for a Fishboy sketch because he said it's been so long. lol

It was an absolute blast talking with Ben, Bob, and Griffin. I got to ask as many questions as I had about the history of The Tick, the direction the show is going (I'm ecstatic) and share with Ben just how important The Tick is to so many of us and why he is to me. Ben was as humble as one can be and was so genuinely touched by what I shared with him. It was a trip I will never forget.

Here are the sketches I was so completely honored to have done by Ben...

2eqb9zd.jpg

The one on the lower left has a small Arthur sketch that was done by the new Arthur being played by Griffin Newman which is below a Tick sketch by Ben. All of the rest were done by Ben and what made it even better was had a such a laugh when he had to look up a reference when I asked for a Fishboy sketch because he said it's been so long. lol

It was an absolute blast talking with Ben, Bob, and Griffin. I got to ask as many questions as I had about the history of The Tick, the direction the show is going (I'm ecstatic) and share with Ben just how important The Tick is to so many of us and why he is to me. Ben was as humble as one can be and was so genuinely touched by what I shared with him. It was a trip I will never forget.

My jaw just dropped...droooollllll.... :whee:

"Who puts gum on a roof, anyway!"

DINOSAUR NEIL GIVEAWAY

fk4l92.jpg

This little guy was a pain in the tooth to acquire...talk about RARE! That being said, it was Danny Mann's birthday yesterday (Danny is the voice of Dinosaur Neil) and in the spirit of giving, here is the deal. Pick a number between 1 and 100. Whoever guess's the closest to the number that my wife has already picked will receive this Dinosaur Neil, no strings attached. Winner will be announced next month.

Edited by vsndesigns

DINOSAUR NEIL GIVEAWAY

fk4l92.jpg

This little guy was a pain in the tooth to acquire...talk about RARE! That being said, it was Danny Mann's birthday yesterday (Danny is the voice of Dinosaur Neil) and in the spirit of giving, here is the deal. Pick a number between 1 and 100. Whoever guess's the closest to the number that my wife has already picked will receive this Dinosaur Neil, no strings attached. Winner will be announced next month.

DINOSAUR NEIL GIVEAWAY

fk4l92.jpg