• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,545 posts in this topic

Dear G.A.tor,

How much should I expect to pay for a Human Torch #2/#1 blue label CGC in the 5-ish range to anchor this run :

ht_2_6run_zpserk2ptm5.jpg

Thank you very much for your time & sharing your knowledge !

-bc

Dear G.A.tor,

How much should I expect to pay for a Human Torch #2/#1 blue label CGC in the 5-ish range to anchor this run :

-bc

fantastic set of books.

Someone mentioned an Action #13 sale of a poor 0.5 for 15K

No way this is a 30K per point book ............... or is it? What say you - what is a reasonable PPP on this book? Looking for some Gator insight as this book is hardly ever for sale ..

entry level does not follow logical ppp

Still a 10k+ ish per point book

Seems it would also depend on what sort of 0.5 one is talking about. A midgrade looking book missing a centerfold is not the same thing as a beat and brittle taped up rag with a chunk out of the cover - yet both get the 0.5 slab :insane:

Dear G.A.tor,

-bc

Ideally 5k would be nice

Dear G.A.tor,

-bc

Ideally 5k would be nice

Thanks for the quick reply !

The hunt is on...

-bc

Someone mentioned an Action #13 sale of a poor 0.5 for 15K

No way this is a 30K per point book ............... or is it? What say you - what is a reasonable PPP on this book? Looking for some Gator insight as this book is hardly ever for sale ..

entry level does not follow logical ppp

Still a 10k+ ish per point book

Seems it would also depend on what sort of 0.5 one is talking about. A midgrade looking book missing a centerfold is not the same thing as a beat and brittle taped up rag with a chunk out of the cover - yet both get the 0.5 slab :insane:

Common sense would dictate that CGC should really be using their Qualified grading in this case since it would provide so much more information on the book, instead of simply saying that it is a CGC 0.5 Incomplete or Poor rated book. :makepoint:

Dear G.A.tor,

-bc

Ideally 5k would be nice

this timely collector thinks 6K is more like it.

Rick;

Since you are the acknowledged Centaur aficionado on these boards here, I had a few questions on a couple of early Centaur books, namely Funny Picture Stories #7 and Star Comics #3.

Are these 2 books really as rare and as valuable in the marketplace as Overstreet appears to be making them relative to the other early non-hero Centaur books? Especially since both of these have been designated as "Rare" in the price guide and starting to approach guide valuations to the first appearance of the Arrow in Funny Pages Vol 2 #10, which I consider to be a much more significant book from my point of view.

In fact, it looks like Overstreet bumped up Funny Picture Stories #7 by just over 30% from $4,600 up to $6,000. Is it because these 2 racial related covers are impossible to find in grade or is it because they simply do nor exist in high grade?

BTW: Any idea as to who owns most of the Centaur Mile Highs (similar to Veryzl with the Timelys) or are they all pretty well scattered to the wind?

A lot of questions for today. (thumbs u

Rick;

Since you are the acknowledged Centaur aficionado on these boards here, I had a few questions on a couple of early Centaur books, namely Funny Picture Stories #7 and Star Comics #3.

Are these 2 books really as rare and as valuable in the marketplace as Overstreet appears to be making them relative to the other early non-hero Centaur books? Especially since both of these have been designated as "Rare" in the price guide and starting to approach guide valuations to the first appearance of the Arrow in Funny Pages Vol 2 #10, which I consider to be a much more significant book from my point of view.

In fact, it looks like Overstreet bumped up Funny Picture Stories #7 by just over 30% from $4,600 up to $6,000. Is it because these 2 racial related covers are impossible to find in grade or is it because they simply do nor exist in high grade?

BTW: Any idea as to who owns most of the Centaur Mile Highs (similar to Veryzl with the Timelys) or are they all pretty well scattered to the wind?

I think the "bid" on the clink fps7 might have had a lot to do with the price movement (I don't buy it for a second, but what do I know)... but, there are only a handful out there, and most every centaur is "rare"...however, if folks do want an early Kane proto, then surely this book should be separated in value from surrounding issues, even though all are about the same scarcity level

star 3 is the same...there are only a handful of known copies...I'm not sure what the guide says it is in fine, but I paid $3500 for a 6.5 copy... opportunities rarely come up to own any single digit star comics, so they are "worth" what someone is willing to pay

I agree that FP 2/10 is just as significant, but let's be realistic, no many folks banging down doors looking for Gustavson's arrow books these days (though they should!)...

Jon Berk owns several of the MH I believe, as does Metro/Fishler... Win M and Bunky Brian also have some caches of MH copies of centaurs...

Rick;

I think the "bid" on the clink fps7 might have had a lot to do with the price movement (I don't buy it for a second, but what do I know)... but, there are only a handful out there, and most every centaur is "rare"...however, if folks do want an early Kane proto, then surely this book should be separated in value from surrounding issues, even though all are about the same scarcity level

star 3 is the same...there are only a handful of known copies...I'm not sure what the guide says it is in fine, but I paid $3500 for a 6.5 copy... opportunities rarely come up to own any single digit star comics, so they are "worth" what someone is willing to pay

I agree that FP 2/10 is just as significant, but let's be realistic, no many folks banging down doors looking for Gustavson's arrow books these days (though they should!)...

Jon Berk owns several of the MH I believe, as does Metro/Fishler... Win M and Bunky Brian also have some caches of MH copies of centaurs...

Rick;

You indeed are the man when it comes to the Centaurs! (thumbs u

Was there an actual bid on a CLink FPS 7 as I typically have not pay much attention to CLink since their GA selection were rather slim at best? Not the case anymore, I would now have to say as based upon their past few auctions.

Google indicates that CLink has a CBCS 5.5 copy of FPS 7 available now for a reduced ask price of only $3,400. Looks like it may possibly have been affected by the $3,500 you had paid for your Fine+ copy of Star Comics 3. Based upon your experience with the Centaurs, what is your ballpark estimate for a Fine copy of FPS 7 since I assume it should be less than Star 3, if based upon rarity? hm

It would appear that none of the Centaur hero books, including even Amazing-Man himself, are not holding up as well as the main super-hero books for the Big 2. Actually, the Centaur covers that I really like are AMF Vol 2 #4 and Funny Pages #40 & #41. Okay, I guess you can toss in the run of AMF #3 - Vol 2 #3 in there also. :cloud9:

It would appear that none of the Centaur hero books, including even Amazing-Man himself, are not holding up as well as the main super-hero books for the Big 2.

If true, that's really not a surprise - Centaurs are not transacting as much as the Big 2 (DC and Timely), there are no movies propelling them to the forefront, and in the GA field they are a collecting niche.

I love Centaurs because they are pre-Timelys (Everett, Burgos, Gustavson, Mills, etc.) with a dash of DC feel tossed in. :)

Rick;

Rick;

Was there an actual bid on a CLink FPS 7 as I typically have not pay much attention to CLink since their GA selection were rather slim at best? Not the case anymore, I would now have to say as based upon their past few auctions.

Google indicates that CLink has a CBCS 5.5 copy of FPS 7 available now for a reduced ask price of only $3,400. Looks like it may possibly have been affected by the $3,500 you had paid for your Fine+ copy of Star Comics 3. Based upon your experience with the Centaurs, what is your ballpark estimate for a Fine copy of FPS 7 since I assume it should be less than Star 3, if based upon rarity? hm

It would appear that none of the Centaur hero books, including even Amazing-Man himself, are not holding up as well as the main super-hero books for the Big 2. Actually, the Centaur covers that I really like are AMF Vol 2 #4 and Funny Pages #40 & #41. Okay, I guess you can toss in the run of AMF #3 - Vol 2 #3 in there also. :cloud9:

My purchase was private so had no bearing on market ask of any other book

That said, a fn copy could certainly publicly fetch 2500-4000+ depending on situation

I paid handsomely for a 7.0 fp40 at auction last year.

Rick;

Rick;

That said, a fn copy could certainly publicly fetch 2500-4000+ depending on situation

incongruous to see the word handsome and a reference to you in the same sentence.

Hi GAtor :hi:

We all know DC and Marvel(Timely, Atlas) sit atop the publisher collector base hierarchy. So, using only the following criteria: 1)Demand you get from customers, 2)Thread devotion/participation, 3)prices realized, and 4)number of 'on the radar' issues, how would you rank the following publishers for the number 3 - 10 slots?

Fox

Fiction House

MLJ

Ace

EC

Centaur

Fawcett

Quality

***Harvey, Prize, Chesler, Lev Gleason and Dell (mostly licenced properties) i left out for particular reasons, i stated the Dell shut out, but i feel the ones i have included 'rank' higher. What say you sir?

Edited by Sagii

Hi GAtor :hi:

We all know DC and Marvel(Timely, Atlas) sit atop the publisher collector base hierarchy. So, using only the following criteria: 1)Demand you get from customers, 2)Thread devotion/participation, 3)prices realized, and 4)number of 'on the radar' issues, how would you rank the following publishers for the number 3 - 10 slots?

Fox

Fiction House

MLJ

Ace

EC

Centaur

Fawcett

Quality

***Harvey, Prize, Chesler, Lev Gleason and Dell (mostly licenced properties) i left out for particular reasons, i stated the Dell shut out, but i feel the ones i have included 'rank' higher. What say you sir?

St John doesn't even make the left out list? :taptaptap:

Rick;

Rick;

incongruous to see the word handsome and a reference to you in the same sentence.

Read it again. You misunderstood. He's saying he bought the book from a handsome seller.

lol Tony, I swear, i said to myself, "If I leave out St. John, would Sqeegs notice?..nah!"

Certainly a contender as since you mentioned them, they must be on your(and possibly many others) list. Ok Gator, add in St. John.

Sqeegs.... :foryou:

lol Tony, I swear, i said to myself, "If I leave out St. John, would Sqeegs notice?..nah!"

Certainly a contender as since you mentioned them, they must be on your(and possibly many others) list. Ok Gator, add in St. John.

Sqeegs.... :foryou:

:acclaim: