• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unpopular Golden Age Opinions Thread!
9 9

634 posts in this topic

I have long been of the opinion that everyone on the boards should give me their golden age comics. This opinion has proven very unpopular.

:kidaround:We should figure some sort of exchange/ visitation program. I will start with exchanging my Kaanga 19 for your Planet collection... or your Rangers... I'm not picky.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

Not sure if these are unpopular opinions, but let's air them and find out.

Sub-Mariner is a boring character. A guy in swimming trunks who swims. Why should I waste a dime on that?

Agree with you about Subby, absent the great Schomburg covers and Everett art, he's a bore, and I've found few Superman stories from any Era worth reading.

I actually think restored books are better off raw, where you don't have a label distracting from their appeal.

For me, Sub-Mariner is probably the single most interesting character of the Golden Age. One of the major issues of our times is the way civilization has exploited and destroyed the natural world, including the oceans, and Subby was a champion of the oceans. He might have been the first comic book anti-hero. I find many of the covers from the Sub-mariner run somewhat boring, but the character is anything but.

Conceptually I'm with you - he was distinctly an anti-hero in the early stories, but the idea was little explored beyond the basic Subby shows up to wreak havoc storylines.

I know how we can settle this, if you can help me out. I just need you to get Vern (podboy) to sell me his Okajima copy of Subby 32 so I can read the stories in it. You can tell Vern I'll give him the full Overstreet value for the book!!! IF you can make that happen and IF the stories are no good, I'll publicly concede that Subby is an uninteresting character.

Sub-Mariner is a boring character. A guy in swimming trunks who swims. Why should I waste a dime on that?

Agree with you about Subby, absent the great Schomburg covers and Everett art, he's a bore, and I've found few Superman stories from any Era worth reading.

I actually think restored books are better off raw, where you don't have a label distracting from their appeal.

For me, Sub-Mariner is probably the single most interesting character of the Golden Age. One of the major issues of our times is the way civilization has exploited and destroyed the natural world, including the oceans, and Subby was a champion of the oceans. He might have been the first comic book anti-hero. I find many of the covers from the Sub-mariner run somewhat boring, but the character is anything but.

Conceptually I'm with you - he was distinctly an anti-hero in the early stories, but the idea was little explored beyond the basic Subby shows up to wreak havoc storylines.

I know how we can settle this, if you can help me out. I just need you to get Vern (podboy) to sell me his Okajima copy of Subby 32 so I can read the stories in it. You can tell Vern I'll give him the full Overstreet value for the book!!! IF you can make that happen and IF the stories are no good, I'll publicly concede that Subby is an uninteresting character.

:o:o

Now that's a great Subby wreaks havoc cover!

Now that's a great Subby wreaks havoc cover!

It has become my favorite cover from the run. My least favorite is 31.

I think that the Overstreet Price Guide should accurately portray the prices of the current market values.

I don't find it enjoyable to try and figure out every single book and how many times over guide its current price is.

I'm not talking about the case of a book moving faster than usual in a given year but watching the same books year after year remain totally out of touch with their markets.

Hey it's not that difficult to be more accurate guys and using the same worn out excuse since the 1970s about it only being a "guide" is .

It's just plain lazy on the part of the researchers of pricing.

The OPG is a out of date work that I wish someone else with better figures and research would bury one day with their own PG.

I think that the Overstreet Price Guide should accurately portray the prices of the current market values.

I don't find it enjoyable to try and figure out every single book and how many times over guide its current price is.

I'm not talking about the case of a book moving faster than usual in a given year but watching the same books year after year remain totally out of touch with their markets.

Hey it's not that difficult to be more accurate guys and using the same worn out excuse since the 1970s about it only being a "guide" is .

It's just plain lazy on the part of the researchers of pricing.

The OPG is a out of date work that I wish someone else with better figures and research would bury one day with their own PG.

this allows those without knowledge to stay that way :boo:

I have been drawn to the more esoteric titles since I started buying golden age. One title that I felt captured that golden age look and feel were the first six issues of Exciting Comics. Being a completist you are compelled to include issue #2, but blehhh for that cover.

I'm going come right out there and say it, I like Sultan's work when he was at Chesler. Come on, Scoop #2? Maybe it's a swipe from Hit #5, but hey I have them both. Also a big fan of Ricca. Punch #12 is really a awesome composition, and Dynamic #8? Wow!

There were lots of folks ripping on Kirby, but one of the covers of the golden age I think of as iconic is Red Raven. Go ahead, I can take the back lash for that opinion.

Another shocker, but restored books do not bother me in the slightest. Leaf casting technology is just amazing in what it can from the recycle bin. In many cases this is my more affordable route to some of these books. Sometimes any copy of a book you want will have to do. Example, Wonder Comics #1 & #2, the Fox published title. A historic mile stone in the hobby, but books that are as rare as hens teeth.

I know I'm gonna get beat up for these top 9 nominations, but

Weird Tales of the Future #8 is a pretty silly amateur art cover

Weird Mysteries #5 is an even bigger mystery as to why such a cheesy cover is so popular.

Mask 1??? Why?? Mask 2 is by far the better, brighter more artistic cover

Mister Mystery 12 .. dumb

Mister Mystery 11 ..Just as dumb and it doesn't help have the mystery dude in a little circle on every book.

Dynamic #8 would actually be the best cover ever if it weren't for the name "DYNAMIC" at the top. It throws the whole book off

Black Cat #50 crappy art

Horrific #3 Really? Who drew the cover? a 9 year old?

And lastly (this will probably get me banned from the forum) Crime Suspenstories 22.. There are tons of cooler EC covers than that book. I dunno, maybe if it showed guts and nerve endings dangling from her bloody stump?? Then I'd probably dig it more hm

oh! We should start a poll of lamest GA cover books. That'd actually be neat

I wouldn't argue with you on most points, but Black Cat 50 is really a great image, and CSS 22 has such a tremendous historical value as well as being over the top. Read "10 Cent Plague" and you'll realize how that cover in particular changed the entire history of comics.

Oh you'll get no argument from me that those that viewed this on the stands in the 50's were probably shocked, but the art? Well, that is where we'll have to agree to disagree :foryou:

It's not Frazetta, but it has a solid "comic art" quality to it. Elias has been compared to Caniff, and I can't disagree.

Black Cat Mystery 50 was drawn by Warren Kremer.

R.B.'s opinions are pretty much the opposite of mine. lol, all of the covers he lists are bonafide classics in one way or another. Here's my likely unpopular opinion; mystic 18 is a highly average bill Everett cover at best - there's no rhyme or reason for it to be a breakout $$$ precode cover. Putting it another way, if I had a copy in the current market, it'd be sold quickly as possible!

PCH art. Now you guys are in my wheelhouse. Let's not even talk about Ingels and Craig, because that wouldn't even be fair. Elias, Kremer-masters of comic art. Nostrand-hit or miss. Everett, Crandall, Heath? Perfection.

Now for Craig. I don't dislike his stuff, but he seems to be best when he's up close. Chest up or head shots with a little background. CSS22 is the icon it is today because of one man: Estes Kefauver. Those hearings, and Bill Gaines time under pressure and that awesome answer? THAT is why the book is key. There were far better and far gorier horror books swirling around it. It is its place in history that makes it key.

The lesser titles, Weird Mysteries, et al, went for gore instead of art, composition, perspective, story. If you want fun, over the top reading material, they are great (as are Farrell titles).but I don't get the gorilla brain and heart ripped out covers getting all the love that they receive, when books like TFTC37 barely get a blip.

I love the best of the weird mysteries covers, but tftc 37 will have its day. One of the best ec covers!

Weird Mysteries #5 is an even bigger mystery as to why such a cheesy cover is so popular.

Mister Mystery 11 ..Just as dumb and it doesn't help have the mystery dude in a little circle on every book.

Dynamic #8 would actually be the best cover ever if it weren't for the name "DYNAMIC" at the top. It throws the whole book off

Black Cat #50 crappy art

And lastly (this will probably get me banned from the forum) Crime Suspenstories 22.. There are tons of cooler EC covers than that book. I dunno, maybe if it showed guts and nerve endings dangling from her bloody stump?? Then I'd probably dig it more hm

I love a lot of these covers, though am on record that MM #12 is a bit overrated, but I wouldn't call it dumb. The one area I'm with you on is Mask #1 - #2 is a better cover - but neither one does as much for me as other "classic" Cole covers from the 1940s.

Nope on mm #12 being overrated; if anything it's under. It's a genuinely tough book for the period, and giant bulging eyeball covers will always grab attention - and mm 12 is likely the best of that lot. :)

And lastly (this will probably get me banned from the forum) Crime Suspenstories 22.. There are tons of cooler EC covers than that book.

As a follow up, for Horrific 3, I agree. I don't get why book that is the image source is one and a half times less valuable than that rotated blown up image. I definately prefer War Fury 1.

There are a lot of PCH books that are overpriced and overhyped. Conversely, there are a TON that are underpriced and unappreciated (but some people are catching on...).

Horrific #3 is a graphic standout, and a tremendous artistic and graphic triumph over war fury #1. Though I'm sure it wasn't created with that intention, that's how things turned out!

Black Cat #50 crappy art

I wouldn't argue with you on most points, but Black Cat 50 is really a great image, and CSS 22 has such a tremendous historical value as well as being over the top. Read "10 Cent Plague" and you'll realize how that cover in particular changed the entire history of comics.

No argument on the historical impact of CSS 22, but I don't see what you're seeing if you think the cover Black Cat 50 is a great image. It looks very sloppy and amateurish to me.

No accounting for taste. :)

I dunno what you guys expect for cover artwork on ten cent comic books, but it sounds pretty unrealistic.

Yes, DC comics, Dell w/Carl Barks, EC's with Wally Wood, were the exceptional standouts, and then there was the rest of the pack, from better than average to amateur-appearing, regardless of genre. Just my unpopular opinion...:wink:

Coverless and married books.

You wouldn't date a girl without a face and you wouldn't want someone else's head stitched onto her body so why would you want a comic with the same process applied?

While we're on the topic of overrated covers... Daredevil Battles Hitler. OK, it's got Hitler on it, but otherwise it looks like a collage done by a high school student.

opinion>

I agree - great title for a comic but one of the less interesting Hitler covers - one of the less interesting early Daredevil covers for that matter.