• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Baker Romance
43 43

13,554 posts in this topic

Time to bump this thread.

Canadian edition.

teen-ageromances10jpg.jpg

Nice book! I've seen only a very small handful of Canadian St. Johns. Just curious, does this one have any blank inside covers?

No. Ads on the interior covers. Published by Superior.

I can't recall ever seeing a Canadian St John romance book before. Can't be many out there.

Giordano is credited with this cover, and the background certainly looks like his work, but the man and especially the woman in the foreground look a lot like Baker, with perhaps Giordano inks. Swipe or collaboration?

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

Giordano is credited with this cover, and the background certainly looks like his work, but the man and especially the woman in the foreground look a lot like Baker, with perhaps Giordano inks. Swipe or collaboration?

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

Maybe a swipe from a Baker panel? hm

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

Sorry, but it doesn't look like Baker at all to me. He would never draw a wonky-looking woman like that gal in green.

I've been getting my feet wet with some Baker collecting lately. :busy:

Is there a good online resource that lists all the romance titles he worked on?

The best checklist I've found is not online, but in the book Matt Baker The Art of Glamour. (Overstreet has traditionally contained many errors when it comes to Baker, with work attributed to him that is not his, and vice-versa. Maybe the new edition is better.)

I've been getting my feet wet with some Baker collecting lately. :busy:

Is there a good online resource that lists all the romance titles he worked on?

Confessions, Romances, Secrets and Temptaions : Archer St. John and the St. John Romance Comics.

John Benson

Fantagraphic Books

Indespensable resource for the serious Baker collector.

Not online though.

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

Sorry, but it doesn't look like Baker at all to me. He would never draw a wonky-looking woman like that gal in green.

For sure, the background looks like Giordano including the woman in green, It's the foreground figures that look like Baker to me. It wouldn't be the first time more than one artist worked on a cover.

As far as I can tell it's not from a cover. Didn't Baker do work at Charlton in the early code era?

I don't think Baker worked for Charlton. Giordano definitely swiped Baker in some of Giordano's Charlton work. Maybe that's what's happening here.

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

For sure, the background looks like Giordano including the woman in green, It's the foreground figures that look like Baker to me. It wouldn't be the first time more than one artist worked on a cover.

It's not very Bakerish to me. At best I see some swiping or influencing of Giordano by Baker.

Here's a recent Baker pickup I'm loving. (My scanner is brutal on those long creases... can barely see them in hand.)

mjbx2w.jpg

Nice. That's one of the tougher issues in that series, maybe the toughest, although 3 is also difficult to track down.

Here's a recent Baker pickup I'm loving. (My scanner is brutal on those long creases... can barely see them in hand.)

mjbx2w.jpg

Nice. That's one of the tougher issues in that series, maybe the toughest, although 3 is also difficult to track down.

Yes, this one poses a problem to find. Good one to get your collection going.

As far as I can tell it's not from a cover. Didn't Baker do work at Charlton in the early code era?

I don't think Baker worked for Charlton. Giordano definitely swiped Baker in some of Giordano's Charlton work. Maybe that's what's happening here.

Could well be. Giordano is credited with the cover to Love & Marriage V.2 #1which was swiped from a Baker St. John splash with minor alteration. And conceptually his cover from Sweetheart Diary #45 is taken from Teen-Age Romances #43.

GCD has Baker credits for a fair number of Charlton books, but largely with a ?, and attributed by Nick Caputo. I've not seen any of the interior work, but the handful of covers listed don't look like Baker at all.

Wikipedia also mentions Baker teaming up with inker John D'Agostino for Charlton, but I've never seen it referenced anywhere else. I've also read that Baker may have worked for VInce Colletta's shop when he was providing material for Charlton.

brides2_zpsyqtn1kgd.jpg

The women can be hard to tell, depending. But how he drew men is always the tipoff. The male character is not Baker. imho of course!

No on the Charlton covers, you can always tell if Baker is lurking even in the background. Yes on at least one interior story - My Secret Sin! in Sweethearts 27. Which is a killer book, killer. Early Mike Sekowski is worth it's weight in gold.

Interesting. Didn't know about that one.

Looking through the Art of Glamour checklist I see several Charlton stories published very late. Maybe collaborations with Colletta that were originally intended for Marvel/Atlas books? hm