• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,747 posts in this topic

A new-ish art day today.

Years ago, I commissioned a Bat Lash piece from Nick Cardy. It remains one of my favorite pieces.

Recently, I found a preliminary piece by Nick for that commission on Anthony Snyder’s page. I grabbed it and it’s no in my Additional Images.

It must feel good knowing that he kept it all these years.

After seeing Captain Canucks post on the Nick Cardy sketches from Anthony Snyder, it reminded me of this quick story...

A couple/few (don't remember now) years ago I was fortunate enough to buy some of my own Nick Cardy sketches that I bought directly from his great niece who lives about 2 hours from me. It was interesting because she was the person handling the estate for the art and when I first got there all of the different art was still sealed in huge plastic bins, and we actually were the first ones to remove the tape...it was like Christmas time opening gifts..If you don't mind I would like to share those with you guys.

I am pretty sure these sketches are a little older then what Anthony has on his sight.

Steve

A new-ish art day today.

Years ago, I commissioned a Bat Lash piece from Nick Cardy. It remains one of my favorite pieces.

Recently, I found a preliminary piece by Nick for that commission on Anthony Snyder’s page. I grabbed it and it’s no in my Additional Images.

It must feel good knowing that he kept it all these years.

Yes. I think he was proud of it. He called me after he did it to be sure that I like it. I'm afraid that I was a semi-coherent fanboy when I answered. Sigh... I really wish I'd told him how much I appreciated his work all these years. I'm sure I stammered out something stupid though. :)

It was fun finding it. I wonder if my Teen Titan's commission prelim is "out there."

TeenTitansByCardy.jpg

Edited by alxjhnsn

After seeing Captain Canucks post on the Nick Cardy sketches from Anthony Snyder, it reminded me of this quick story...

A couple/few (don't remember now) years ago I was fortunate enough to buy some of my own Nick Cardy sketches that I bought directly from his great niece who lives about 2 hours from me. It was interesting because she was the person handling the estate for the art and when I first got there all of the different art was still sealed in huge plastic bins, and we actually were the first ones to remove the tape...it was like Christmas time opening gifts..If you don't mind I would like to share those with you guys.

I am pretty sure these sketches are a little older then what Anthony has on his sight.

Steve

I have dreams like that!

One or two of those are prelims for pieces on the CAF - pretty sure that the Black Canary is.

What a treat and what an artist.

Returning to boards after being off for a while. Recent trip to SDCC seemed like as good of an excuse as any to come back.

Felt good about the art we picked up.

As a collector in the late '70s early '80s, it was hard not to be impressed with Bill Sienkiewicz. Finally broke down and got a commission. I was thrilled with the finished piece, which as also larger than ordered. A huge bonus.

Bill%20Sienkiewicz%20Daredevil%20and%20Bullseye_zpswk4o2clf.jpg

I also decided that I shouldn't wait any longer on picking up an William Stout piece. His recent book honoring the special effects master on King Kong made it an easy call.

William%20Stout%20King%20Kong%20Eighth%20Wonder_zpsv6zunm1y.jpg

William%20Stout%20King%20Kong%20Peering%20In_zpsaj9gzszx.jpg

My first purchase was from Lee Khose, an artist for Lucasfilm. I really liked this piece honoring Lucas and the founder of the 501st Legion charity. This is a prelim piece for a painted card.

Lee%20Kohse%20George%20Lucas%20and%20Albin%20Johnson%20-%20Card%20501_zps8bx7hzmt.jpg

Lastly, sticking with my old playing-card theme, this Mitchell Breitweiser piece was tough to pass up.

Mitchell%20Breitweiser%20Gambit_zpsbinmc2c1.jpg

It will be some time before I will get my SDCC-loot scanned and properly displayed on CAF, but until then I think these photos will give you a general idea of what it looks like.

I picked up my rewards from the Die Kitty, Die Kickstarter in person from co-creators Dan Parent & Fernando Ruiz:

DkD_Parent_sketch.jpg

The actual hardcover book with Kitty-sketch by Dan. The Dippy the Dead Kid sketchcover by Rich Koslowski was not part of the reward but a nice addition anyway.

Eerie_cuties_D-Parent.jpg

A rather disturbing page by Dan from the webcomic Magick Chicks.

Sharry_by_Fernando.jpg

Sharry the Spygirl from the 4-part "The Man From R.I.V.E.R.D.A.L.E." tale published in Archie #610-613 and later collected in a trade. I think Fernando outdid himself on this one. Yum! End Kickstarter rewards.

In the same vein I got this really nice pinup:

Bingo_DeCarlo_pinup.jpg

It is not often you get the chance to purchase a pinup page by Dan DeCarlo featuring Forsythe Pendleton Jones III's cousin Bingo Wilkin & his girlfriend Samantha Smith, so of course I jumped at the opportunity. According to Dan Parent (who must be considered an expert in these matters) it is inked by his son, James DeCarlo. I have yet to figure out where it was published. Judging from all the tiny holes which are scattered all over the image it must have spent some time on someones bulletin board...

A really neat Johnny Hazard strip by Frank Robbins:

Hazard_daily_72.jpg

Not only is it a perfect example on how to stage a fairly dull scene so it gets exciting, it also shows Robbins' expert craftmanship at inking and lettering (someone really should develop a font based on Robbins' letters). And it was published on my tenth birthday, June 14, 1972. :grin:

But even so it has to take the backseat compared to this one:

Hazard_sun_72.jpg

The magnificent Sunday page from the week before (published June 4th, 1972). One of the last really huge (26" x 18 1/4") ones before Robbins switched to 2-strip. The storytelling and attention to detail is incredible. In the early seventies I think there isn't much left of Sickles and Caniff in his style and he has come entirely into his own. As soon as I picked this one up I knew I had to have it. Never mind that is was something of a nightmare to bring along as an "extra additional item" on my flights back home.

A rather good turnout, I'd say And on top of that the really entertaining OA dinner on Thursday. :hi: