• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipped me Action Comics #1 Superman page, FedEx lost it, Help appreciated!
1 1

452 posts in this topic

At this point, I really would physically go down to the FedEx ship center and ask politely to go through their shelves, to ensure that the package isn't there. Maybe it's mislabeled, or was never scanned in the system as an update.

Still sending good thoughts that your page shows up safe and sound. :wishluck:

At this point, I really would physically go down to the FedEx ship center and ask politely to go through their shelves, to ensure that the package isn't there. Maybe it's mislabeled, or was never scanned in the system as an update.

I doubt they'd ever grant permission for such a request but even if they did, I live in Connecticut, quite a bit aways from Memphis, Tennessee.

What I don't understand is, legally, how can FedEx ever stop searching for the package if there's evidence of it entering their facility and zero evidence of it ever leaving?

If they reimburse me the $4,000 -- at that point they've made me whole and it would make sense. But if they don't do that, and there's no evidence that the package is not still in their possession in Memphis, how can they cease searching?

Edited by Wayne-Tec

As some others have said, don't lose hope yet. I've had an overnight package delivered a month late by FedEx. Hopefully, it turns up.

What did the tracking number say during the time period it went missing?

There are cases where even doing all the right things still does not generate the result you hope for.

I have sent parcels containing books that I ask for signature, I also had it fully insured that still get stolen.

The parcel gets signed for ( by who???? ) and because the package is "successfully delivered" the insurance is useless ( only covers lost or damaged, not "successfully delivered" ).

I have had a parcel take a year before I received it.

I hope you eventually get your page.

I doubt they'd ever grant permission for such a request but even if they did, I live in Connecticut, quite a bit aways from Memphis, Tennessee.

What I don't understand is, legally, how can FedEx ever stop searching for the package if there's evidence of it entering their facility and zero evidence of it ever leaving?

If they reimburse me the $4,000 -- at that point they've made me whole and it would make sense. But if they don't do that, and there's no evidence that the package is not still in their possession in Memphis, how can they cease searching?

as someone that has visited the Memphis sorting center, it is big, but it is finite...once they exhaust their search, there is no other place to search (that is how they can cease)... because the system has an element of human error potential, there really is no way to know what happened if the parcel doesn't follow normal procedures... if they don't find it, it is not in their facility to find...the question is where it ended up, and that is generally not ever known without scan data (mis delivered, mis routed, lost, stolen, damaged and tossed, etc)

is there some way this purchase could be covered under your house policy? I have had an OA piece go missing only to get rerouted half way around the world probably because is was just an unusual parcel (board wrapped in a large envelope). Keep checking the tracking and keep calling for updates. I'm sure they are reviewing tapes of their facilities and who may have handled it last. Keep checking with the shipper in case they have it returned. . I feel your pain as this must be annoying beyond belief.

I would do a Google search to see if anyone was legally succesful to put FedEx's feet to the fire on something like this in case it was employee theft?

FedEx is protected with liability under circumstances of damage and loss, as far as I know, they are not excused in the event of theft. I don't know where my package, or its contents are, but I know it entered their grounds and there is zero evidence of it ever leaving their grounds.

If their searches and internal investigations fail to yield any results, legally, how could they be off the hook and free from a police investigation/search of the very grounds the package was last documented to be? What level of accountability would there be if the only thing they're obligated to do is investigate internally?

Will they provide me with specific details pertaining to what their investigation entailled? What if their searches were not extensive and thus, the chance to locate my package was missed?

On top of all these concerns exists the specific contents of this particular package, a CGC certified page from Action Comics #1. Search Google for "Action Comics #1 value" and you find this at the top of the page:

"Online auction cements it as the world's most expensive comic book. The Man of Steel is more valuable than ever. A pristine copy of Action Comics No. 1, the first appearance of Superman in 1938, sold for a record $3,207,852 Sunday in an auction on eBay Aug 24, 2014"

Edited by Wayne-Tec

You keep asking this and it has been answered numerous times. (shrug)

I am with you a hundred percent and cant imagine the worry you feel but wihout direct evidence it is a civil dispute. They lost your stuff. They are not off the hook, they have whatever civil methods you persue but not criminal. Not yet. Police are not going to search a warehouse for it. Just trying to be honest with you. Now, if some information comes out that shows someone on video taking it or whatever, then that can be changed to criminal.

:bump:

I know you are frustrated but its just not going to happen. Police are not going to search shipping centers every time a package is lost, tracking or not. Again, it is a civil matter unless something turns up making it criminal! Imagine if Police searched shipping depots for every missing package. Ignoring the fact it wouldn't be legal, its not even practical.

You keep asking this and it has been answered numerous times. (shrug)

I am with you a hundred percent and cant imagine the worry you feel but wihout direct evidence it is a civil dispute. They lost your stuff. They are not off the hook, they have whatever civil methods you persue but not criminal. Not yet. Police are not going to search a warehouse for it. Just trying to be honest with you. Now, if some information comes out that shows someone on video taking it or whatever, then that can be changed to criminal.

:bump:

I know you are frustrated but its just not going to happen. Police are not going to search shipping centers every time a package is lost, tracking or not. Again, it is a civil matter unless something turns up making it criminal! Imagine if Police searched shipping depots for every missing package. Ignoring the fact it wouldn't be legal, its not even practical.

I understand where you're coming from. What I want to know is, if what you're saying is true, what law, disclaimer or legal document states this that I am afforded no such protection/support?

Basic criminal and civil law statutes. You hired them to do a job. In this case, ship an item. They failed to do so and such liable for monetary damage as set forth in whatever paperwork you signed. If information comes out that an employee stole it, then criminal charges can be brought against the individual that stole it. Assuming something is stolen when currently there is no evidence to support it just isnt going to fly.

Unfortunately, you are somewhat to blame on this one and it freaking sucks but you are. I hope to heck it turns up but it is what it is right now... A missing item.

Basic criminal and civil law statutes. You hired them to do a job. In this case, ship an item. They failed to do so and such liable for monetary damage as set forth in whatever paperwork you signed. If information comes out that an employee stole it, then criminal charges can be brought against the individual that stole it. Assuming something is stolen when currently there is no evidence to support it just isnt going to fly.

Unfortunately, you are somewhat to blame on this one and it freaking sucks but you are. I hope to heck it turns up but it is what it is right now... A missing item.

I accidentally, and admittedly, checked a box on the CGC submission form regarding insurance up to $100. FedEx itself has a myriad of disclaimers that I've since looked up, that were not provided on any paperwork I signed.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I just want to know where I can find specific statutes that states that a shipping company is free of criminal investigation in the event that evidence substantiates their possession of an item, and zero evidence exists to prove that they're no longer in possession of said item, on their company grounds.

One of their own supervisors told me, in a phone call they record on their end, that their own employees do steal packages sometimes and that if one of their employees recognized my item and had an intent to steal, that they'd have "quite the haul on their hands."

-Package entered their grounds.

-Zero evidence it ever left their grounds.

-Their supervisor acknowledging that it could have been stolen by FedEx staff.

What specific statute states, under the aforementioned circumstances, that they would be free of criminal investigation?

Edited by Wayne-Tec

No, I meant go to the local FedEx center that you had it shipped to. I haven't seen that you physically went there and checked at that location. Yes, it definitely made it to Memphis, but it could have made it to your local FedEx center but not be scanned.

I can guarantee Fedex's terms and conditions are air tight in terms of liability. You would have better luck, albeit slim, in going after CGC for shipping out a $4000 item with $100 in insurance, even though the ultimate responsibility is yours. You'd have to prove it was stolen to have recourse against Fedex and then go after that employee. The police most certainly aren't getting involved. I know it must be extremely frustrating to have nowhere to turn.

Edited by islandmisfittoys

FedEx is protected with liability under circumstances of damage and loss, as far as I know, they are not excused in the event of theft. I don't know where my package, or its contents are, but I know it entered their grounds and there is zero evidence of it ever leaving their grounds.

If their searches and internal investigations fail to yield any results, legally, how could they be off the hook and free from a police investigation/search of the very grounds the package was last documented to be? What level of accountability would there be if the only thing they're obligated to do is investigate internally?

Will they provide me with specific details pertaining to what their investigation entailled? What if their searches were not extensive and thus, the chance to locate my package was missed?

On top of all these concerns exists the specific contents of this particular package, a CGC certified page from Action Comics #1. Search Google for "Action Comics #1 value" and you find this at the top of the page:

"Online auction cements it as the world's most expensive comic book. The Man of Steel is more valuable than ever. A pristine copy of Action Comics No. 1, the first appearance of Superman in 1938, sold for a record $3,207,852 Sunday in an auction on eBay Aug 24, 2014"

It will pop up if stolen. If a search brings up Action 1 $3.207.852 than some will make a mistake. If not stolen than it will show if stolen it will show in the mean time nothing you can do sorry