• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS! New members, please introduce yourselves here!
24 24

2,912 posts in this topic

Hello,

My name is Joe and I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I collect mostly bronze and copper, as well as original artwork. I have learned a lot just by reading posts here and I look forward to sharing.

Hi there, figured I register to take part of this forum since I've read so many interesting posts here in my hunt for the right sleeves and boards (I ended up getting Mylites2 and gerber full-backs standard, might as well do things properly).

I'm Johan, a collector of Marvel comics and Sideshow/Weta statues. My current poison is all-new all-different Marvel (have about 35 subscriptions ongoing), as well as trying to gather the remaining issues to my Hellblazer collection. Every month is a prioritization of what my fun-funds are to be aimed at. Have also been eyeing up some older first appearance issues to frame and hang behind my Marvel statues.

Oh, and I'm from Sweden. And yes, of course we ride polar bears, throw Ikea-furniture at people and is generally polite in a chilly way. :D

Hello Superjoe & Ssantoss!

Welcome to the boards! We hope you enjoy your time here and continue to find the forums insightful.

If you haven't already checked out the N00B Guide, you may find it helpful.

Brand new here. I'm 50. Began reading comics in the late 70s early 80's. Stopped in the late 80's as I felt the stories were getting weak and the prices were becoming astronomical for new books. (I remember an Electra Miller book that was a hardcover that was about 25$ and I thought it was terrible. This along with all the variant cover books made me bail on the hobby. Mostly I thought the stories got weak and I was always a reader before a collector. I put stuff in bags, sure, but there was always a level of cognitive dissidence in me because it seemed the collector mentality was killing it all. Look at a comic con now and a comic convention in the early 80's that was held in a local armory. Just my Opinion. ) Up to that time I had several nice books but sold them when encountering some $$ problems in the late 90's. I thought (and still do) the Miller Daredevil stuff (DD 159 - 182) were the pentacle of the art form. Enjoyed Miller's DarkKnight Returns, BatMan Year One, and Moore's Swamp Thing and Watchmen, also. Like Marshall Rodger's Batman stuff from the 70s. I've tried to read comics again and find them incredibly lacking (New Miller Darknight is awful. Wein's new Swamp thing is ok. Come to think of it, Miller's stuff has consistently sucked since the late 80's. In the 90's I started reading Drawn and Quarterly stuff (Chester Brown, Seth) and Fantagraphics stuff (Clowes and Bagge) and sort of stayed with that stuff.

Regardless, I've got some cash and am looking to make an investment in some key book(s). I'm aware of the rabbit hole this hobby can become and I'm sorta of the mindset not to fall into it. I'm a fairly disciplined adult. Although I used to read comics, unfortunately, this time around I think I'm just here for speculative/investment purposes. As stated above, they don't seem well written these days. I'm looking at a key issue, about to pluck down some cash and resolve to keep the book for the next 20-25 years and hopefully make some cash in my later age

All this CDC slabbed books stuff is entirely new to me. Comics that are graded the same seem to be different: centered different, ticks in spin, etc. Books that are graded the same seem to be of various degrees of pleasing to the eye.

It's a different world now in comics and it's weird to me.

anyways, hello.

Edited by NoMan

All this CDC slabbed books stuff is entirely new to me. Comics that are graded the same seem to be different: centered different, ticks in spin, etc. Books that are graded the same seem to be of various degrees of pleasing to the eye.

It's a different world now in comics and it's weird to me.

anyways, hello.

Welcome to the Boards. Tons of information here.

My astronomical bid just got declined for that key investment high grade book I wrote about in my first post above.

I've been informed I'm welcome to make a higher bid.

Seeing a book like X-men 94 CDC 9.8 sell for $27,000 in 2010 and now sell for $16,000 is terrifying (and slightly suspect).

Should I do it? Or should I run and never return?

Edited by NoMan

My astronomical bid just got declined for that key investment high grade book I wrote about in my first post above.

Impossible to answer without a bunch more info.

Impossible to answer without a bunch more info.

This is true.

I know. It was more just a general all around question. I dunno :tonofbricks:

Seeing a book like X-men 94 CDC 9.8 sell for $27,000 in 2010 and now sell for $16,000 is terrifying (and slightly suspect).

Edited by NoMan

Welcome to the boards first off, secondly if you are just in it for investment look towards other things. The great thing about a hobby like this is mostly remembering a time that was simpler, a time we were fond of. If the books go up in value all the better, but that's really(to me) just a bonus. The love of the medium is the reason I'm here.

Welcome to the boards first off, secondly if you are just in it for investment look towards other things. The great thing about a hobby like this is mostly remembering a time that was simpler, a time we were fond of. If the books go up in value all the better, but that's really(to me) just a bonus. The love of the medium is the reason I'm here.

:applause:

It is. It truly is... No one wants to pay a big price and see a huge value drop.... But, I agree with Oak's post above.

I think there is some pocket money to be made with small flips... For example, grabbing a Ms Marvel #1 now and flipping it closer to the release of the movie... Keeping an eye on Netflix's schedule to catch and release associated books (ASM129 got a major jump thanks to The Punisher series). NM #98 skyrocketed thanks to movie.

And just plain old speculation, based on reading a few moderns here and there... and thinking "that has the potential to go okay as a show" - like Outcast or Lazarus from Image.

There's pocket money and thrills in those sorts of things...

While there are a range of books that (barring global financial catastrophe) are significantly less likely to have a big drop than others, such as AF15, there is no real "safe investment" in a comic book.

Like Oak says, simply buy books that you absolutely cherish and any price fluctuation doesn't matter because you love the book!

For me - I just get excited seeing the value of books go up and down with the market... But it's meaningless. My OCD rarely lets me flip a book... I only ever sell a book when I need funds to buy a book and I want to own the second book more than I want to own the first... So, I just buy cheap, well presenting books, so I can stick them up on the wall and enjoy them for the visual awesome that they are!

I hope I didn't come off as a pure speculator. I'm not really interested in buying books that I don't care for, even if money was to be made in a small flip. I read Mrs Marvel back in the day (70s & 80s) a little and it was terrible.

I understand the concept: movie coming out, prices should go up.

I'm just going to get books I like. Hope for the best in the next 20 years, if I live that long.

Just paying too much now is the concern.

thanks all

Well, not to be too obvious about it, but the time to buy these books for investment reasons was probably when you originally left the hobby.

Who knows if these books are at peak prices right now, but they're certainly closer to whatever that point is than they were five or ten years ago. I personally wouldn't buy into a hot collectible market for investment purposes if I had other options, but I know there are people here who believe otherwise so maybe they'll show up and say different.

I'm thinking about just going for it. It's one book. I have the money and I'm not going to miss the money. 20 years is going to pass by if I buy the book or not. I'm not betting my future on it, not trying to send my kids to college with the investment and have no expectations going in. Just curious to see if prices continue to rise re: this issue over the next two decades.

the book has been incredibly collectable as far back as the early 80's when I started reading comics. I've always wanted it.

Edited by NoMan

Hello everyone, after my DD hiccup I would like to take the time to introduce my self. My name is Ronnie and I'm 45 years old (46 next week) I've been collecting comics since 1980'ish. I collected hardcore through the 90s and was forced to slow down due to joining the Military (Navy) I would buy issues here and there while I was in the service, but I didn't have time to really follow any story lines. I kept my collection though. I retired from the Navy not too long ago and got the bug again. Since then I have been buying up issues that I've needed for my AMS collection and others that grab my interests. When I left the hobby there were no forums and such. So all this is new to me. The hobby has changed a quite a bit as far as titles, art, and story lines go. I mainly focus on Golden, Silver, and bronze age stuff. Anything after the mid 90s and I'm pretty much lost when it comes to story lines and new characters. But I am slowly catching up.

Hello everyone, after my DD hiccup I would like to take the time to introduce my self. My name is Ronnie and I'm 45 years old (46 next week) I've been collecting comics since 1980'ish. I collected hardcore through the 90s and was forced to slow down due to joining the Military (Navy) I would buy issues here and there while I was in the service, but I didn't have time to really follow any story lines. I kept my collection though. I retired from the Navy not too long ago and got the bug again. Since then I have been buying up issues that I've needed for my AMS collection and others that grab my interests. When I left the hobby there were no forums and such. So all this is new to me. The hobby has changed a quite a bit as far as titles, art, and story lines go. I mainly focus on Golden, Silver, and bronze age stuff. Anything after the mid 90s and I'm pretty much lost when it comes to story lines and new characters. But I am slowly catching up.

Welcome. :hi:

I'm a fellow ASM collector and was a east-coast, blackshoe SWO for a few years. What was your rate?