• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC shipped me Action Comics #1 Superman page, FedEx lost it, Help appreciated!
1 1

452 posts in this topic

If FedEx is unable to locate my package within their Memphis hub after their "final search", can I request a criminal investigation and have the police search their hub for it? Because as of now, there is no evidence to suggest that it wasn't stolen and/or that it's still not in their Memphis facility.

The chances of that are virtually zero. Absent direct evidence (and no the tracking doesnt count) there is almost no way I see the Police searching a shipping center for a missing package.

If FedEx is in custody of my property, and there is no evidence to prove it wasn't stolen or still in their possession, how could they be off the hook after doing nothing more than conducting their own in-house investigation?

Is there no burden of proof required on their end, and a simple "we couldn't find it" then frees them of any accountability?

pretty much. That's what insurance is for , unfortunately. I listed alternative options that the parcel could have experienced (and there are many others). I believe on their form there is a waiver from use though I'm sitting in Atlanta airport in a 3 hr weather delay so I can't check their terms

Gator, im in Atlanta too, Gate A01 lol

Unfortunately, if they do an investigation/search and report back that the package is "lost" they will send you a check for $ 100.00 if that is what the package was insured for and you have indicated that in your post(s).

Hope it turns out some other way though.

Just a bummer.

If FedEx is unable to locate my package within their Memphis hub after their "final search", can I request a criminal investigation and have the police search their hub for it? Because as of now, there is no evidence to suggest that it wasn't stolen and/or that it's still not in their Memphis facility.

The chances of that are virtually zero. Absent direct evidence (and no the tracking doesnt count) there is almost no way I see the Police searching a shipping center for a missing package.

If FedEx is in custody of my property, and there is no evidence to prove it wasn't stolen or still in their possession, how could they be off the hook after doing nothing more than conducting their own in-house investigation?

Is there no burden of proof required on their end, and a simple "we couldn't find it" then frees them of any accountability?

pretty much. That's what insurance is for , unfortunately. I listed alternative options that the parcel could have experienced (and there are many others). I believe on their form there is a waiver from use though I'm sitting in Atlanta airport in a 3 hr weather delay so I can't check their terms

gate a31 for at least another hour

I had a ups driver live down the street from me for years . I saw her go in her house at lunch with boxes than 45 min later come out with them. It did not take me long to put it togeteher. I think with all the news on Action 1 its fair to say WOW when you read the label. I do think you will get this back since you are on top of it so hard.

The question is, if the package does not resurface, what will happen then?

We know it arrived in Memphis, we also know there has been no evidence since of it ever leaving their Memphis hub. If their "final search" turns up nothing, how can they stop searching? If it got on a plane headed elsewhere, with no documentation of such an occurance, isn't the burden of proof on FedEx to prove it's no longer in Memphis?

Because if they can't do that, the only thing we can PROVE is that it entered their Memphis hub, meaning it's either still there (hence, how can they stop searching?) or it was stolen.

Either answer is unacceptable.

Hope they find the missing box but I can't see them spending so much time searching for your box. I think they'll pay you your $100 and be done with it.

Don't give up yet.

I had a comic that I sold on its way to Canada, but for some reason ended up in London, then via Virginia (?? why!) and eventually get to its destination.

Sometimes parcels arrive early, sometimes they seem to go around the whole world for no reason.

It may be something as simple as being loaded on the wrong trolley and sent to Iceland.

Someone there says "oops" and sends it back to its shipping hub origin point and then onto where it was meant to go.

My book 'disappeared' for 4 weeks before it arrived at the buyers house.

These things do happen, and aren't good for the nerves!

I wish you all the best of luck, but an quietly confident it will show up eventually.

Keep the faith!

Don't give up yet.

I had a comic that I sold on its way to Canada, but for some reason ended up in London, then via Virginia (?? why!) and eventually get to its destination.

Sometimes parcels arrive early, sometimes they seem to go around the whole world for no reason.

It may be something as simple as being loaded on the wrong trolley and sent to Iceland.

Someone there says "oops" and sends it back to its shipping hub origin point and then onto where it was meant to go.

My book 'disappeared' for 4 weeks before it arrived at the buyers house.

These things do happen, and aren't good for the nerves!

I wish you all the best of luck, but an quietly confident it will show up eventually.

Keep the faith!

Thank you so much for the positive vibes and support!

I really appreciate your reaching out and sending your encouragement. :)

gate a31 for at least another hour

So are you having guys a pleasent comic talk between Gate 01 and 31?

I keep checking back in hoping for a happy ending... Just hang in there. Obviously this is an expensive lesson in getting private insurance if you have any sizable collection. I've shipped a number of 4K + items through the years and would have never felt comfortable if I dint have them fully insured. Don't kick yourself for the oversight on the $100. Things happen and while 4K is a lot, at least is wasn't more than that.

OP I am really hoping that the slab finds its way to you. I know it is easy for someone else to say when they aren't in the middle of this but I hope you are taking a different tact when communicating to the FedEx personnel trying to help you.

There is a time to talk lawsuits, damages and consequences but IMO it is too soon for that. You need these people working for you and doing WIT to help you and the best way from experience to have that happen is to be kind to them and to regularly voice appreciation for all that they are doing to help you resolve this problem - that will make them work harder for you while the opposite tends to be true when they perceive someone to be a Richard on the other end of the phone.

Regardless, I am anxiously awaiting the post where you let everyone know that the page has been found and is in your hands. So sorry that you have to go through this.

Patrick

maybe 7-8 years ago, some on the boards will recall I had 2 boxes of detective comics stolen while in UPS high value care ...I didn't properly insure...I lost a ton of money (legal actions were persued, but ultimately failed for a myriad of reasons)

the ultimate ending, was that the burden of value was on me, and because I hadn't insured for my ex post facto stated (and easily proven) value, I was responsible for the loss, even though UPS investigators were able to determine the boxes had, indeed, been stolen by an employee, while in their care...

will continue to hope for a positive resolution in this case, but ultimately, this thread can serve a good lesson to all to properly (and FULLY) insure collectibles...especially in today's environment

When you insure a book/page for the 4k thats not what its worth to you.

I want the book/page back. I will say if it was stolen your chance of getting it back went way up that page is one of a kind in or out of the CGC holder (thumbs u

If my understanding is correct from the context in this thread, that $4K FMV was just pulled out of proverbial hat for the sake of CGC/picking a stated value on the form. I do believe the real value of this piece/slab (what it would fetch in the open market) is significantly >$4K. And the total out of pocket cost for the OP is in fact > $4K.

If my understanding is correct from the context in this thread, that $4K FMV was just pulled out of proverbial hat for the sake of CGC/picking a stated value on the form. I do believe the real value of this piece/slab (what it would fetch in the open market) is significantly >$4K. And the total out of pocket cost for the OP is in fact > $4K.

I bought the page from a fellow collector for $4,300 -- a good deal IMO, as it was more than $100 less than a similar example, page 3, sold for at CC auction recently.

I bought the page from a fellow collector for $4,300 -- a good deal IMO, as it was more than $100 less than a similar example, page 3, sold for at CC auction recently.

did anyone ask if you have your collection insured with CIA or the likes?...

yes, near the top

yes, near the top

couldn't remember...another "positive" that can come from this thread is folks should have an insurance policy as well (thumbs u

With any luck, it will turn up at your doorstep sometime soon.

If it was in fact grifted by a FedEx enployee, the one upside is that it is an unmistakable page.

The thief can crack it out to sell it raw or reslab it for a different cert #.....but if he does that, and it ends up in a CC,CL or Heritage auction....I'd have to think that the auctioneer would pull the piece and guve it to you, after you presented proof that you are the owner of the page and the consignor had given the auctioneer stolen goods.