• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

For what it's worth a new Star Trek series is now in development

84 posts in this topic

CoFSYACUIAAlG7k.jpg

At Comic-Con today, it was revealed that the show will be titled Star Trek Discovery and that the crew will be piloting the U.S.S. Discovery, NCC-1031 (meaning its not an Enterprise).

You can get a first look at the ship in the promo below, but a newly revealed synopsis drops a few more hints about what we should expect from Star Trek Discovery:

"The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966."

Comments across multiple platforms are not being kind.

It looks like a Klingon Bird of Prey had sex with the Enterprise and this is the son. That was one of the comments I think I can post here.

On the CBS FB page, one user writes, "CBS, I hope that you are reading this.The name "Discovery" suggests an exploration vessel. What you just showed us feels like a warship . This is obviously heavily borrowed from the Star Trek Phase II concept Enterprise which, If I'm not mistaken, reminded people too much of Imperial Star Destroyers. The "wings" of Discovery's engineering hull are are also swept back in a way that looks like a Klingon design element. The paint scheme is dark, brooding and militaristic, nothing like grand, sleek, white ships of the Federation's fleet, with their snappy blue lights and red trim. In all, this ship looks way too sinister and not "Starfleet" enough. There was also a lot of "Battlestar Galactica" in the background music."

Which kinda sums it up.

It will eventually find its way to Netflix in some form or another. I will see it there.

Star Trek: Discovery Timeline Possibly Revealed

Showrunner Byan Fuller offered a tease to AICN by stating a hint is in the number of Star Trek: Discovery's ship, which is NCC-1031.

Trekkers should note the ship's number precedes that of the original Star Trek TV series' Enterprise of NCC-1701.

The site is confident in stating that Star Trek: Discovery takes place previous to William Shatner and Leonarod Nimoy's voyages from the 1966 Star Trek TV series.

Fuller also teased Star Trek: Discovery may connect to the black-ops Section 31 organization, which was featured in Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, Star Trek: Enterprise and Star Trek Into Darkness as the ship in Discovery features "31." Section 31 operates outside normal Starfleet ethical protocols and deals with external threats in whatever manner it sees fit.

“There are aspects of our first season that, depending on how well versed you are in that mythology, you could either read into it a connection," teased Fuller, "or not."

Star Trek: Discovery TV Series Features a Female Lead, Serialized Story

Discovery will mark the second Star Trek TV series with a female lead, after Captain Janeway led Star Trek: Voyager, as played by Kate Mulgrew. The series takes place in the same continuity as the other TV series, not in the new, rebooted continuity of the current film series. However, the new female lead will not be the Captain of the ship.

"There's an incident and event in Star Trek history that's been talked about but never been explored," Fuller said at the TCAs. "To do this series, we’re telling a much more serialized story, to dig deep into a very tantalizing arc. And we have a character who’s on a journey, and in order to understand something that is alien she first has to understand herself." The thirteen-episode first season will be heavily serialized, and he likens it to a "Star Trek novel."

Always up for new Trek (personally I think DS9 is by far the best Trek has ever been, and I really can't stomach the original series at all - think it's awful), but even though the price is negligible I'm not going to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch it.

I'm not sure if it isn't already but a lot of us already overpay for cable, which CBS is included on, where we have on-demand options. Not saying I never will, but they have to come up with some other shows that interest me (and honestly even a stalwart like HBO is in this predictament because unless Westworld is great, their post-Game of Thrones line-up isn't looking so hot to me).

Reminds a bit like of Powers. I have a PS4 and already was a playstation subscriber, but I can't imagine why anyone who wasn't already would sign up for it to watch Powers (not to mention the pilot was unwatchable IMHO)

When it hits a streaming service I have (netflix, amazon, hulu, HBO Go, whatever) I'm sure I will binge it.

‘Star Trek Discovery’ News: Bryan Fuller on Lead Character’s Name, Episode Count, and More

Per AICN, Fuller revealed that the lead character of Star Trek Discovery—who we know is a female, human, non-captain Starfleet officer—is referred to in the series as “Number One.” Additionally, while this first season will consist of 13 episodes, Fuller divulged that he would ideally like each season of Star Trek Discovery to comprise no more than 10 episodes, not unlike Game of Thrones. Indeed, the HBO series stuck to a 10-episode season on account of how herculean a challenge it is to actually produce the show every year, and if Fuller is going big with Discovery, it would behoove him to really hone in on 10 great hours of TV rather than rushing to put out more. There’s also the fact that he’s pulling double duty, serving as showrunner on Starz’s upcoming American Gods simultaneously.

We know that Fuller and fellow executive producer Alex Kurtzman—who co-wrote the 2009 Star Trek feature film as well as Star Trek Into Darkness—are scripting the first installment of Star Trek Discovery, but Fuller told AICN that Nicholas Meyer scripted the second hour. Meyer was a mighty exciting hire for Star Trek Discovery as he’s the one responsible for scripting the feature films Wrath of Khan, The Voyage Home, and The Undiscovered Country, so it’s great to hear he’s spearheading one of the early episodes.

Fuller has also filled out his writer’s room, telling AICN that Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies alums Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts have signed on to serve as co-showrunners, with Jesse Alexander (Alias, Hannibal) and playwright/author Kemp Powers also joining the writing team.

Oh boy!

CBS All Access to Offer Commercial-Free Plan; Will It Lure People to ‘Star Trek Discovery’?

CBS is banking a lot on Star Trek Discovery. Rather than running the show on CBS, the show will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. And to get CBS All Access, you need to sign up with a plan. CBS All Access is currently available for $5.99/month, which includes commercials, but today, CBS announced that they’re rolling out a commercial-free option for $9.99/month.

The problem is that most CBS programming is garbage. The reason they’re the #1 network is because it’s popular among old people who still have Nielsen boxes and just leave the TV turned on to NCIS: Branson. No one talks about CBS shows. No one thinks about CBS shows. They’re disposable entertainment of the lowest order, and the only reason to even think about getting CBS All Access is if you want Star Trek Discovery.

“CBS ALL ACCESS” ROLLS OUT COMMERCIAL-FREE OPTION FOR SUBSCRIBERS

CBS All Access Subscribers Can Now Watch the Service’s On-Demand Content

Commercial-Free for $9.99/Month or with Reduced Commercials for $5.99/Month

Always up for new Trek (personally I think DS9 is by far the best Trek has ever been, and I really can't stomach the original series at all - think it's awful), but even though the price is negligible I'm not going to subscribe to CBS All Access to watch it.

I'm not sure if it isn't already but a lot of us already overpay for cable, which CBS is included on, where we have on-demand options. Not saying I never will, but they have to come up with some other shows that interest me (and honestly even a stalwart like HBO is in this predictament because unless Westworld is great, their post-Game of Thrones line-up isn't looking so hot to me).

Reminds a bit like of Powers. I have a PS4 and already was a playstation subscriber, but I can't imagine why anyone who wasn't already would sign up for it to watch Powers (not to mention the pilot was unwatchable IMHO)

When it hits a streaming service I have (netflix, amazon, hulu, HBO Go, whatever) I'm sure I will binge it.

I saw last night that CBS All Access is also airing a Fall edition of Big Brother starting late this month. That show has a diehard fan following that might help subscriptions.

Star Trek: Discovery Tie-In Comic Series & Novels Planned

In preparation for the U.S.S. Discovery’s maiden voyage this January, the latest series will get some added support from a couple of tie-ins.

Trek Movie reports (via Screen Crush) that Discovery writer Kirsten Beyer spoke about the show’s forthcoming supplemental materials at the 50th anniversary convention, Mission: New York. She says that Simon and Schuster will publish a series of corresponding novels, with the first book being penned by fan-favorite Trek author David Mack. In addition, Beyer announced that IDW plans on releasing a corresponding comic book series. The artistic talent behind the comic, as well as its overall scope, has yet to be divulged, though. Beyer will also oversee the continuity between Discovery‘s televised presence, comics, and novelizations – something the former Star Trek: Voyager novelist is perfectly suited for.

IDW is already following up on Kelvin-set Star Trek Beyond, as well as issuing comics that tap into familiar realms like The Next Generation and The Original Series. In addition, a steady stream of novels is still boldly going into the backstory and future of long-established and more recent heroes and villains. It’s no surprise that CBS plans to expand Star Trek: Discovery’s universe, as the franchise has often relied on ancillary materials like novels, video games, and comic books to flesh out the myriad characters, alien species, and worlds. Since Star Trek‘s inception, thousands of spinoffs have kept fans connected, as well as hungry for the next movie or episode.

Oh boy!

CBS All Access to Offer Commercial-Free Plan; Will It Lure People to ‘Star Trek Discovery’?

CBS is banking a lot on Star Trek Discovery. Rather than running the show on CBS, the show will be available exclusively on CBS All Access. And to get CBS All Access, you need to sign up with a plan. CBS All Access is currently available for $5.99/month, which includes commercials, but today, CBS announced that they’re rolling out a commercial-free option for $9.99/month.

The problem is that most CBS programming is garbage. The reason they’re the #1 network is because it’s popular among old people who still have Nielsen boxes and just leave the TV turned on to NCIS: Branson. No one talks about CBS shows. No one thinks about CBS shows. They’re disposable entertainment of the lowest order, and the only reason to even think about getting CBS All Access is if you want Star Trek Discovery.

I might be showing my age here, but there is no way I'm going to fork over $10, let alone $6 a month to watch CBS TV shows. And I'm a huge scifi fan including Star Trek. I'll catch the series for free someday or I won't. There is so much content out there, if CBS wants to go this route, Star Trek will disappear into oblivion IMHO.

They should be able to more than make up the cost for a series like this in merchandising without the need to charge fans to watch a TV series. And if they can't, well, then it is probably time for this property to finally be put to rest.

Oh boy!

I might be showing my age here, but there is no way I'm going to fork over $10, let alone $6 a month to watch CBS TV shows. And I'm a huge scifi fan including Star Trek. I'll catch the series for free someday or I won't. There is so much content out there, if CBS wants to go this route, Star Trek will disappear into oblivion IMHO.

They should be able to more than make up the cost for a series like this in merchandising without the need to charge fans to watch a TV series. And if they can't, well, then it is probably time for this property to finally be put to rest.

If this was Star Wars we would pay to see it,even Marvel or DC shows.

There is just no excitement with Star Trek now.

Remember when the Next Generation came out?

That was exciting. I don't see that kind excitement with this new reboot.

Now if they brought back the Next Generation cast in all new episodes,then I would pay for it.

Oh boy!

If this was Star Wars we would pay to see it,even Marvel or DC shows.

There is just no excitement with Star Trek now.

Remember when the Next Generation came out?

That was exciting. I don't see that kind excitement with this new reboot.

Now if they brought back the Next Generation cast in all new episodes,then I would pay for it.

There is some truth to this. I bought my first BluRay player when Star Wars came out on BluRay. I subscribed to NetFlix when the Star Wars: Clone Wars "Lost" Episodes were shown on NetFlix. I just cannot see myself buying into this CBS scheme though.

"I've Seen The Future ... I Can't Afford It"

Star Trek: Discovery Delayed

Star Trek: Discovery, the highly-anticipated new series from Bryan Fuller, has officially been delayed. We were supposed to "Boldly Go" in early 2017, but CBS executives have pushed the series debut back to May.

The show itself has some pretty big space boots to fill, as it has the entire legacy of Star Trek resting on its shoulders in hopes of pleasing long-time fans and also appealing to a new generation of fans.

CBS executives via Variety cited that the shows creators simply need more time in post-production to give audiences the "best" that Star Trek:Discovery has to offer.