• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four Artist’s Edition Announced At SDCC

36 posts in this topic

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

I'm highly conflicted about making this post, but doing so won out ever so slightly over not making a negative comment...

Having said that, IDW (don't want to assume Scott does everything) has to work on their quality control of their scans. The Mignola Screw On Head book was quite uneven, and very disappointing because the worst scans were in the featured story. They were color scans, but the contrast was very high, with lots of too-white whites and too-black blacks. You couldn't even tell where the comic page ended and the 1/4" book page border started. And to contrast that, many of the other smaller stories had good scans, which made the main ones look even worse.

This was very surprising, since Mignola has said repeatedly the book is not for sale, leading to the assumption that IDW had access to the physical pages. If I was a conspiracy guy, I'd wonder if it was quietly sold for a giant box of money at some point, and the scans were second-hand. But I'm not, so I won't...

andy

I'm highly conflicted about making this post, but doing so won out ever so slightly over not making a negative comment...

Having said that, IDW (don't want to assume Scott does everything) has to work on their quality control of their scans. The Mignola Screw On Head book was quite uneven, and very disappointing because the worst scans were in the featured story. They were color scans, but the contrast was very high, with lots of too-white whites and too-black blacks. You couldn't even tell where the comic page ended and the 1/4" book page border started. And to contrast that, many of the other smaller stories had good scans, which made the main ones look even worse.

This was very surprising, since Mignola has said repeatedly the book is not for sale, leading to the assumption that IDW had access to the physical pages. If I was a conspiracy guy, I'd wonder if it was quietly sold for a giant box of money at some point, and the scans were second-hand. But I'm not, so I won't...

andy

Mike still has the Screw On pages and didn't sell them. He was posting on Facebook a few months ago when they were making the book and he pulled the pages out of his archives. I want to say he shipped them off to IDW to scan themselves.

Bummer though about the quality:( I had considered picking that one up...

Let's just hope this version is of a higher quality.

1 hour ago, Captain Canuck said:

Does the Kirby IDW Fantastic Four Artists Edition have any blank pages for sketches or sigs and do you recommend the book?

It is a really nice book. The pages are all Sinnott-inked, so seeing the linework at 11x17 is eye candy for sure.

There is a blank page at the front which could be used for signatures or a (Sinnott?) sketch.

Side note: IDW just announced a twice-up Kirby FF book in the works. Various inkers from various issues. Should be great as well...

Usually there's a blank page opposite the title page: either of those work out well for a sketch or signature.

I can confirm there's a white blank page in Jack Kirby's Fantastic Four Artist's Edition opposite the title page.

Edited by VDPloeg

Picked up mine from the LCS the day after release...Very happy with the book!  The pages all looked clear, sharp, and they seemed to be the correct color/tone.  I had considered the options to obtain a Sinnott signature and/or sketch, but funds are currently low.  Would love to do it if I can work it into the budget.

(Edit) Just checked http://joesinnott.com/ and as of the latest update on 27 January 2017, he's no longer doing sketches, but will do autographs for $5 plus return postage (no con appearances confirmed as of this time).  Please note that: requests for ANY type of free sketch will result in ALL items being returned UNSIGNED.

And Stan Lee will be making appearances at cons in NYC and Orlando, FL if you're interested in getting his auto in the book along with Sinnott's.  Time to check the sofa for loose change...

Edited by The Shoveler
update info & fix grammar

9 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I haven't bought any of these, but this one has me thinking. Fantastic Four annual 6 is my favorite single comic book ever, but I like to read a real copy.

Will I like this, or love it?  hm

I generally prefer the black & white "Essential" tpb reprints over the colorized versions (except for when the Essentials attempt to use grey tones to replicate the colors), so I love this Kirby FF Artist Edition. YMMV.

VDPloeg's link above is a good preview, with some eye-watering comments there too (especially robwaltoon's).  Here's your chance to see the bestial Borers in all their 11x17 glory! (from Ploeg's gallery:     http://comicbookdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Jack-Kirbys-Fantastic-Four-Artists-Edition-interior-9.jpg )

The book is a fun look into the process.  In FF #71, story page 11 panel 2, Johnny Storm looks more like a Romita change/addition as directed by Stan (again from Ploeg's site: http://comicbookdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/Jack-Kirbys-Fantastic-Four-Artists-Edition-interior-5.jpg).

And just get ready for this in July: https://www.idwpublishing.com/jack-kirbys-anticipated-artists-edition-coming/. Twice-up Kirby AE book featuring FF #33, 45, 47, 60 and a gallery of 22 covers, pin-ups, splashes and interior pages!

Disclaimer:  I am not an employee or agent of IDW, and I'm not involved in book sales in any capacity.

Edited by The Shoveler
edited to avoid the sword-swinging Conan the Grammarian

7 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I haven't bought any of these, but this one has me thinking. Fantastic Four annual 6 is my favorite single comic book ever, but I like to read a real copy.

Will I like this, or love it?  hm

I was hesitant in buying any of the artist editions initially because that would be less money I would spend on art. But since I made my first AE purchase (the Wally Wood book) I am a huge fan of the format and prefer to read stories in this format over comics... it's more of an event.  Haven't bought the FF book yet, but it's next on my list.