• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SHOW US YOUR GOLDEN AGE CANADIAN COMICS
12 12

1,827 posts in this topic

Having googled another copy of the cover, it doesn't appear to have any printed price on it at all. Does your copy have a price anywhere else on the book stephen? Did they just forget to price it on the cover and have to sticker it? That seems far fetched but why no price? Maybe it was originally intended as mail away only (would explain rarity) and then leftovers were sold at retail? Was there any mail away offer in EP books for this one shot? So many questions from one sticker.

So probably initially intended as mail away only, but overprinted to some degree and eventually sold direct retail later? That make sense to you?

Perhaps not that many were printed or sold.....

Interesting to note that the Action Stories of the Mounties One Shot is very COMMON in comparison with the Canada Jack One-Shot (shrug)

I'm not impugning it's rarity Stephen - when I say overprinted I mean only relative to the orders mailed in, which as you say could have been very few esp at that steep 25c price.

Point being the sticker seems like good evidence to me that it had more than one method of distribution..

Perhaps not that many were printed or sold.....

Interesting to note that the Action Stories of the Mounties One Shot is very COMMON in comparison with the Canada Jack One-Shot (shrug)

Something about ASOTM just turns my stomach. :insane: Canada Jack is a terrific looking book though. If I could pick one EP book to have this would be it

I'm not impugning it's rarity Stephen - when I say overprinted I mean only relative to the orders mailed in, which as you say could have been very few esp at that steep 25c price.

Point being the sticker seems like good evidence to me that it had more than one method of distribution..

Come to think of it, it's also pretty good evidence that not many sold at the steep initial price. Why else re-price all the way down to 15c at retail?

The 15c "in Canada" remains curious though. I'm thinking that somewhere out there is a copy with a pence sticker as well.

Come to think of it, it's also pretty good evidence that not many sold at the steep initial price. Why else re-price all the way down to 15c at retail?

The 15c "in Canada" remains curious though. I'm thinking that somewhere out there is a copy with a pence sticker as well.

Yes, this makes perfect sense. (thumbs u

Consider the New York Worlds Fair comic of 1939 that was initially priced at 25 cents and was later reduced to 15 cents with a 15 cent sticker on the cover accordingly.

In fact, they included a copy of SUPERMAN # 1 in order to make up the difference to those who paid the full 25 cents originally :o

Edited by eccomic

Originally "sold" on Ebay $1500.00 USD with the Buy It Now (one of Bruno's books)

This is obviously an outlier sale/anomaly but nevertheless, insane :insane::facepalm:

Link:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Three-Aces-Comics-V2-8-Anglo-American-1943-CANADIAN-EDITION-/351156940286?hash=item51c295adfe:g:HxgAAOSwxH1T~gJ~

_57_zpsmc5rejbb.jpg

Now :news: relisted by Bruno on EBAY and dropped to $1000.00 doh!:roflmao:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Three-Aces-Comics-V2-8-Anglo-American-1943-CANADIAN-EDITION-/351795300689?hash=item51e8a24951:g:HxgAAOSwxH1T~gJ~

Edited by eccomic

I just got back from doing a large open air flea market in Sussex, NB. I met up with Tony White on my lot from Chapterhouse comics, who was also set up at the market with his family and we had a good chat about WECA books and he spoke highly about many of you here. He's a class act and it's great to see the love for Canadian comics here in Atlantic Canada.

My lot-mate broke his hand after falling when we set up our canopies on Thursday, which made for a bum weekend, but I stumbled across a box of $1 magazines that had this in it. It's a Bell Features book that it exclusive male-oriented joke cartoons in single panels (like adult-oriented mags from later decades). What do you guys think about this one?

164154.jpg.e8b663717f799f281e71b96602f9546b.jpg

No date, but the back cover has the "Your old Friends still the same Price! 10 cent" ad on the back cover with Super Duck and Marmaduke Mouse. So, despite being black and white It's got to be late 40s.