• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

L.B. Cole cover thread! Post your favorites by the master!
40 40

5,892 posts in this topic

This surprised me: Captain Flight 11

Yeah, that's pretty unreal. It's a tough book, but not THAT tough.

Then again, nothing should surprise me anymore with the market the way it is.

That was my thought, too. But I guess maybe there hasn't been one for sale for a while and two people decided to really go after it. HA's raws can sometimes be a bit iffy, so I hope the book actually doesn't have any hidden problems.

Anything I'm interested in on Heritage in their Sunday auctions goes for above GPA, sometimes way above.

Anything I'm interested in on Heritage in their Sunday auctions goes for above GPA, sometimes way above.

Ain't that the truth? Tough to find any bargains in those auctions.

That was my thought, too. But I guess maybe there hasn't been one for sale for a while and two people decided to really go after it. HA's raws can sometimes be a bit iffy, so I hope the book actually doesn't have any hidden problems.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the classic LB Cole books (Mask, Suspense, Gerber sci-fi no shows, etc.,.) show up in waves...one year you might see 4 - 5 copies on the market, then nothing for a while. :frustrated:

The Heritage Sunday auctions used to be better in terms of pricing, and grading of their raw books/lots. I used to be able to find some good deals on raw books, but the grading is hit or miss these days, and with strong prices it's mostly not worth even trying anymore.

Maybe it's just me, but it seems like the classic LB Cole books (Mask, Suspense, Gerber sci-fi no shows, etc.,.) show up in waves...one year you might see 4 - 5 copies on the market, then nothing for a while. :frustrated:

The Heritage Sunday auctions used to be better in terms of pricing, and grading of their raw books/lots. I used to be able to find some good deals on raw books, but the grading is hit or miss these days, and with strong prices it's mostly not worth even trying anymore.

What was the ending price?

What was the ending price?

$1,314.50

Thanks! Yet another example of a killer cover with a bird that Cole did. There's one more (a 4 Most cover) that I need to chase down, as I have the Power 3 and the 2 Eagle Comics books. I've also snagged an All Romances #1 (1949, Ace) Canadian edition with LB Cole interior art and a 2nd copy of Target Western Romances #107, which is a pretty rare Target book.

s-l1600.jpg

Thanks! Yet another example of a killer cover with a bird that Cole did. There's one more (a 4 Most cover) that I need to chase down, as I have the Power 3 and the 2 Eagle Comics books. I've also snagged an All Romances #1 (1949, Ace) Canadian edition with LB Cole interior art and a 2nd copy of Target Western Romances #107, which is a pretty rare Target book.

s-l1600.jpg

Love the detail in the rope and wood grain! (thumbs u

s-l1600.jpg

I'm still not 100% sure I should count it as a Target, but the Flaming Western Romances issue is crazy hard to find. I have the other 11 Target issues, but that one still eludes me. If I could convince myself it doesn't count it would help... but I can't.

The Western Romance issues are definitely not nearly as common as the actual Target issues, though.