• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

You got that right. Stunning. (worship) That book is hard to find without restoration also.

As a tough one-shot loaded with Kirby art it's certainly a key Timely. :insane:

Wasn't that the last Church book Chuck parted with? I think his copy might have been restored as well, iirc.

I've heard rumors about Chuck's Church book, but it's doubtful it would've gotten a blue label with obvious resto. My Billy book is clean and supple with nice PQ and no apparent resto. It was probably pressed before being submitted to HA by the then current owner, but that's par for the course these days...

14f2814e-1836-4f48-a678-1213a84cce87_zpscttheqdk.jpg

The Church copy is a blue label 9.0...

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

I'm having trouble finding the obvious resto...

Having graded that book, I can tell you there was absolutely no restoration on it. It has a small spine split on it, keeping it from ever grading any higher.

Thanks for the additional info., West. From the HA scan it did appear to have a small spine split at the top, but it was difficult to tell for sure. Since you were the grader, that grade's good as gold! (thumbs u

Needs a spot of glue!

doh!

lol

You got that right. Stunning. (worship) That book is hard to find without restoration also.

Wasn't that the last Church book Chuck parted with? I think his copy might have been restored as well, iirc.

I've heard rumors about Chuck's Church book, but it's doubtful it would've gotten a blue label with obvious resto. My Billy book is clean and supple with nice PQ and no apparent resto. It was probably pressed before being submitted to HA by the then current owner, but that's par for the course these days...

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

Having graded that book, I can tell you there was absolutely no restoration on it. It has a small spine split on it, keeping it from ever grading any higher.

I was being facetious.

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

I was being facetious.

That is now a face with egg on it (just teasing). :grin:

Does anyone have a list of all the Timely cgc "classic" covers?

I saw some older lists on the net, but some of the data seems incorrect.

Thanks.

I think this is project I look forward for you to complete (joke, but kinda not joking)

Haha I think I might have to.

I just get discouraged when I hear about cgc's inconsistencies with their "classic cover" designations.

Thanks.

I think this is project I look forward for you to complete (joke, but kinda not joking)

I just get discouraged when I hear about cgc's inconsistencies with their "classic cover" designations.

Classic covers rule, ...and we each have our own subjective lists to prove it! :sumo:

CGC strives to be consistent with their inconsistencies! :preach:

Thanks.

Classic covers rule, ...and we each have our own subjective lists to prove it! :sumo:

Yeah, it's too bad that CGC didn't take accuracy in labels and in the census more seriously from the start. Apart from artist attributions being added and omitted from labels and classic covers sort of (but not entirely) following Overstreet, the census is a mess.

Not so much because of CPR, about which they can't do much, but because of sloppiness in keeping titles straight. Slight differences in spelling titles or differences in deciding on who the publisher was (MLJ v. Archie or Timely v. Atlas, for instance) cause books from the same series to be spread across two (or sometimes even three) entries.

It would take a huge effort to straighten it all out now, which I doubt they would consider a sufficiently high priority to bother about.

Thanks.

Yeah, it's too bad that CGC didn't take accuracy in labels and in the census more seriously from the start. Apart from artist attributions being added and omitted from labels and classic covers sort of (but not entirely) following Overstreet, the census is a mess.

Not so much because of CPR, about which they can't do much, but because of sloppiness in keeping titles straight. Slight differences in spelling titles or differences in deciding on who the publisher was (MLJ v. Archie or Timely v. Atlas, for instance) cause books from the same series to be spread across two (or sometimes even three) entries.

It would take a huge effort to straighten it all out now, which I doubt they would consider a sufficiently high priority to bother about.

Ouch. I didn't know the census was that bad... So there could be x2 lists for a single book?

Timely trifecta of raw & old label goodness! :banana:

let's bump this thread with a new purchase. Sure looks nicer than the grade!

MM%2015%20CGC%206.0%20oww_zps1ftnj602.jpeg

Lovely comic

That is sooo nice. :applause:

I'll add my applause. :applause::applause:

Thanks to Ben, Steve and Brian for this one:

AllSeclect3a1_zps2i88g6pp.jpg

(thumbs u

+1 :headbang:

Added a couple more to my Schomburg Human Torch covers set :

Timely_7_2016_zpsjnnjzsia.jpg

-bc

Nice set! :applause:(thumbs u

Timely trifecta of raw & old label goodness! :banana:

let's bump this thread with a new purchase. Sure looks nicer than the grade!

MM%2015%20CGC%206.0%20oww_zps1ftnj602.jpeg

Lovely comic

That is sooo nice. :applause:

I'll add my applause. :applause::applause:

(thumbs u

+1 :headbang:

Added a couple more to my Schomburg Human Torch covers set :

Timely_7_2016_zpsjnnjzsia.jpg

-bc

Nice set! :applause:(thumbs u

can I just say AWESOME...all of it!!! AWESOME!!!! :applause:

Our collective pleasure, Peter. :)

Brian (Peets) at A-1 Comics is a tight grader, I held this supple book in my hands and it looked/felt great for the grade

San Diego Comic Con by proxy, baby! :whee: