• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'I'm now interested in a superhero role...' OFFICIAL THREAD - OFFICIALLY

39 posts in this topic

Since we are having more and more actors now interested in our crazy hobby themes and characters, seems time for a thread to keep track of it all.

And who better to kick this off than...SQUIRREL GIRL!

SCOTT PILGRIM's Anna Kendrick Is Nuts About The Idea Of Playing SQUIRREL GIRL For Marvel

143094.jpg

uring a chat with Net-A-Porter, Anna Kendrick was asked the magic question, and responded with the following:

"My brother sent me a Squirrel Girl comic because he thinks I should [play her]. I don't know what Squirrel Girl does other than be half squirrel, but I could be half squirrel!"

Even if Marvel is kicking around the idea of a Squirrel Girl movie (or even introducing her in a diffrent MCU feature), she's probably right down the bottom of the pile - but, that doesn't mean we couldn't see it happen some day.

Since we are having more and more actors now interested in our crazy hobby themes and characters, seems time for a thread to keep track of it all.

And who better to kick this off than...SQUIRREL GIRL!

SCOTT PILGRIM's Anna Kendrick Is Nuts About The Idea Of Playing SQUIRREL GIRL For Marvel

143094.jpg

uring a chat with Net-A-Porter, Anna Kendrick was asked the magic question, and responded with the following:

"My brother sent me a Squirrel Girl comic because he thinks I should [play her]. I don't know what Squirrel Girl does other than be half squirrel, but I could be half squirrel!"

Even if Marvel is kicking around the idea of a Squirrel Girl movie (or even introducing her in a diffrent MCU feature), she's probably right down the bottom of the pile - but, that doesn't mean we couldn't see it happen some day.

I like how its 'scott pilgrim's' anna Kendrick. WHO THE EFF remembers thinks 'Anna Kendrick' when they think of Scott Pilgrim or thinks "Scott Pilgrim" when they think of Anna Kendrick.

Ugh, horrid.

I absolutely adore Anna Kendrick. I absolutely LOATHE Squirrel Girl.

Why, fates? WHY?

I started to see her career go winky starting with Mr. Right (not awful). I mean there was that Christmas movie too.

New agent after the success of Pitch Perfect?

I mean she starred in a recent Miles Teller movie that was worse than Fantastic Four. :sick:

Actors who want to be superheroes

It feels like every big-name actor out there has been fitted out with super-snug spandex and played a superhero. Even Brad Pitt played a caped hero (albeit an animated one) in Megamind.

But there are still some Hollywood stars waiting for their moment to shine, not just from the spotlight, but from the sunlight glinting off their metal suit, invulnerable shield, bow and arrow or... well, you get the point.

TOM HANKS

The Academy Award winner was asked by a fan via Showbiz 411 why he hasn't been in a superhero movie yet. His answer? Because they simply don't ask him.

"I keep trying. Come on, I can do it," he said. "Even let me play a bad guy, let me play the bad guy against Batman. I'll do anything, call me. They've never asked."

Hanks seemed pretty keen, but he is a good actor, so he could just be kidding around.

"God, I want to throw a shield at somebody," he said.

"And I don't want to play the guy in the suit who tells the superheroes what's going on... I want to get in there, I want to play The Flash or something like that. They'll never give me a chance."

AL PACINO

While at Venice Film Festival, the Scarface actor revealed he had recently seen Guardians of the Galaxy, telling media, "I did find it the most entertaining, inventive, beautiful film. So I'm not anti-that at all."

And in December, Pacino confirmed on the Happy Sad Confused podcast that he had met with "the Marvel guy" aka Marvel Studio President Kevin Feige.

"Its a Marvel how things happen... I would imagine that either there's something he feels is right for me," he said, before being interrupted by a phone call, and joking it was probably Marvel telling him to keep quiet.

EMILY BLUNT

Anyone who saw Edge of Tomorrow knows Blunt can hold her own in an action flick, but Marvel were well aware of that years ago.

They have actually offered the British actress not one, but TWO roles in the past - both of which she had to turn down because of scheduling conflicts. Blunt was asked to play Black Widow in Iron Man 2 (which went to Scarlett Johansson) and when that didn't work out, was offered the part of Peggy Carter in Captain America (Hayley Atwell was cast instead).

Speculation is now abuzz online that Blunt is perfect to play Captain Marvel in the first female-led Marvel movie in 2018.

Blunt told Vulture, "I think its fan-casting, which is always very nice. But nothing official has been offered, for sure."

Blunt has said she would definitely still consider playing a superhero, previously telling New York Magazine: "I would love to do a comic-book movie or a science-fiction film that would scare the bejesus out of me."

JOE MANGANIELLO

If you've seen Magic Mike, you know this guy certainly has the physique to play a superhero. In fact, he came very close to playing Superman in Zack Snyder's Man of Steel. Unfortunately, he lost out to Henry Cavill, but Manganiello is still keen to tackle the genre - he just wants to make a version that's so deconstructed it blows everyone's mind.

"There's so many superhero projects out there that its almost like they're becoming normal," he tells MTV.

"So I want to do one that just flips it on its head and makes it crazy. I want to make the Fight Club of superhero movies."

I had read about Al Pacino before, and assume Joe Manganiello's day is coming. He really stood out in True Blood.

And don't forget that Manganiello (who basically got his start in a superhero movie -- he was Flash Thompson in Spider-Man) came really close to being cast as Deathstroke in Suicide Squad.

Now that he wasn't -- all signs point to Scott Eastwood having snagged that role.

Justin Kucsulain Teases The Sentry

VwZ5q8o.jpg

It's been rumored a movie based on The Sentry might be in the works, and now an actor is seemingly teasing the role.

Justin Kucsulain, who actually had a unnamed role in Iron Man 3 (played a guard), took to his Instagram account to post images of The Sentry Marvel comic books and an action figure.

Of course it's possible Justin Kucsulain may just be having some fun with the fans and reading up on the character, but you have to admit the actor does resemble Robert Reynolds, aka The Sentry. Kucsulain also played Ethan on The Walking Dead.

The Sentry is basically Marvel's equivalent to Superman, but with a dark twist. I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Dark Avengers on the big screen.

Another 'sign me up for Squirrel Girl' actress.

STRANGER THINGS Actress Shannon Purser Also Has Her Sights Set On Playing Marvel's SQUIRREL GIRL

MF0r0dC.jpg

Fresh from making an impression as the unfortunate Barbara Holland in the superb Netflix series, Stranger Things, Shannon Purser recently sent out the following Tweet.

We should stress once again that there is no Squirrel Girl movie in the works, and it's extremely unlikely that Marvel has plans to introduce her to an established franchise any time soon - but, Doreen Green remains a very popular player in the Marvel Comics Universe, so stranger things have been known to happen.

Russo Brothers Endorse Anna Kendrick As Squirrel Girl

anna-kendrick-squirrel-188650.jpg

These days, there are a lot of people vying for Anna Kendrick to play the one and only Squirrel Girl. The actress herself pitched the idea, saying earlier this year she could play someone who was “half squirrel” if called to. Director Edgar Wright then threw in his support when he told Marvel’s honchos to put her in a Squirrel Girl film. And, now, the mighty Russo Brothers are also saying they’d love to see Anna take on the role.

In an interview with Yahoo Movies, Joe Russo said, “It would be perfect casting, and we’re huge Anna Kendrick fans.” And, so far, fans agree with the brother’s statement. The Internet has been flooded with fan art depicting Anna as Squirrel Girl. A well-known fandom artist on Twitter, BossLogic, even photoshopped an image of the actress to show everyone what Anna might look like as the heroine. And, c’mon, you’ve got to admit she looks pretty awesome.

Still, the Russo Brothers did hedge their support in one way by stressing Squirrel Girl won’t be making an appearance in their upcoming film, Avengers: Infinity War. The pair said their “hands [are] full trying to tell the story we have with our preexisting characters.”

“Anthony would probably die from exhaustion if we introduced another character,” Joe joked before his brother spoke up. “That’s not to say we’re not going to introduce a new character.”

:o

Looks like in this case the actor was offered a Marvel role. But due to the split between Marvel TV and Marvel Studios, he passed on the opportunity.

BREAKING BAD's Giancarlo Esposito Turned Down A Marvel Role Due To Division Between Film And TV Studios

983203293.jpg

Breaking Bad and The Jungle Book star Giancarlo Esposito is hoping to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but it turns out that he has no interest in doing so if whoever he plays won't be seen on the big screen. In fact, he's actually spoken to Marvel TV about an unknown role, but turned their offer down after learning that his character wouldn't end up making the leap to the movie side of things.

"I know the Marvel world exists on the Disney lot. I love those guys at Marvel," he says. "We’ve been trying to figure out how to collaborate on something. I’m hoping that it is something. They came to me with something for their television department, then I realized if I did that, I’d never be able to have that same character be in that film department. Once you’re in a Marvel character in the television version, you have to stay in the particular character. They can’t carry that over to film."

TMNT Star Brian Tee Explains Why He Wants to Play Namor

teenamor.jpg

While fans are able know how and when they can see Hulk, the rights to Namor are in murkier waters.

Most recently, Joe Quesada revealed that Marvel Studios may actually have the rights back to Namor, which led to fans voicing their choice for who should play the character. Brian Tee (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows) was one of the actors to voice his interest in the role, and he has now revealed what draws him to the King of Atlantis.

Tee recently talked to Comic Book about the possibility of playing the underwater anti-hero. It is the anti-hero nature of Namor that has drawn the actor to the role.

“You know what’s funny is my career I’ve kind of played villains, guys with attitude, guys with chips on their shoulders, um, in reading the comics books and being a fan of Namor, that’s kind of this guy’s persona. Even though he’s a hero or a quote unquote good guy. He’s kind of a bit of an anti-hero with a bit of an edge, and I feel like I kind of fall in that line, especially with other things that I’ve done. So that’s the kind of aspect that I would love to bring into Namor. He’s not just like a good guy, you know, he’s definitely got some faults of his own, but I think when it really boils down to doing the right thing he will, and you know it’s Namor, it’s Marvel, it’s the first Mutant, it’s everything you can kind of dreamed of as a kid and wanted to portray, and so I would absolutely love and be honored to play him if the time does come around, and I thank you guys for the movement!”

Doctor Who's Matt Smith Wants To Join The Marvel Cinematic Universe

matt-smith-marvel-films-204163.jpg

When it comes to Doctor Who, the franchise has a habit of turning its latest leads into bonafide superheroes. And, apparently, Matt Smith wants in on the action. The actor told fans at New York Comic Con recently that he’s up to join a Marvel franchise. So, Whovians, it’s time to get your fancasting hats on.

When asked whether he’d like to join a Marvel project, Smith told fans that his “answer is...when will they ask me?” Of course, the teaser sent fans into a frenzy as many Whovians have wanted the actor to join the Marvel Cinematic Universe for quite some time.

After all, the actor’s predecessors have already taken the leap to MCU stardom and come out better for it. Most recently, David Tennant (the Tenth Doctor) joined Jessica Jones as the villain Kilgrave who could control people’s actions. And, before that, the Ninth Doctor’s Christopher Eccelston joined Thor: The Dark World as the dark elf Malekith, an alien who bent on destroying Earth.

YES PLEASE!

Vikings Katheryn Winnick Wants To Play Black Canary

vikings-black-canary-214568.jpg

Katheryn Winnick of Vikings fame said she is interested in playing the DC Comics character Black Canary. Winnick currently plays the legendary role of Lagertha, a well-known figure in Viking history.

During a recent fan Q&A session on Twitter a fan asked if she would be down if DC Films ever made a Green Arrow movie.

z2wzGKM.png

:wishluck:

xXx: The Return of Xander Cage's Nina Dobrev Wants to Play Catwoman

While promoting xXx: The Return of Xander Cage in Brazil, as the first part of the film's global tour, Nina Dobrev — best known for potraying Elena Gilbert/Katherine Pierce for six seasons on The CW's supernatural drama series The Vampire Diaries — was asked if there's a comic book role she would like to play.

She began by telling CinePOP, a Brazilian entertainment site, that her first-choice would be "Wonder Woman," but since Gal Gadot has the Amazonian Princess on lockdown, she doesn't hold out any hope that it'll become available anytime soon. Though she admitted to not knowing all that much about comic books, the 27-year-old actress did offer-up another iconic character she'd be interested in playing: "Catwoman."

Hey, Hollywood! Jennifer Aniston Still Wants To Be A Superhero!

“Television is where it’s at,” Aniston told her good friend, after confirming interest in small screen projects. “I really do believe the shows are more interesting. There’s more opportunity for women...unless they want you as a superhero, which that hasn't come down my...into my email box, or whatever.”

Handler then asked Aniston how she would react if she did get offered a superhero role. “I would be psyched!” Aniston answered with enthusiasm. “But I would want to be the really uncoordinated superhero, because I just…I couldn’t take myself seriously leaping out of somewhere in a full leather...something.”

GAME OF THRONES Star Lena Headey Is Seemingly Interested In Playing CATWOMAN

Lena_Heady.jpg

Gotham City Sirens is expected to revolve around Harley Quinn, Poison Ivy, and Catwoman, but as of right now, we have no idea who's playing the latter two characters. Megan Fox has been rumoured for Ivy, but we've heard nothing concrete on who's being eyed for Selina Kyle. However, a number of actresses have put their names forward with the latest being Game of Thrones star Lena Headey.

With the DC Films Universe's Batman older than the rest of the world's heroes, it makes sense that Catwoman would also not be a twenty-something. That makes Headey perfect for the role, while she also looks perfect for the part and is without a doubt more than talented enough to deliver a memorable take on the character. She also has comic book movie experience with 300 and DREDD.

She definitely was a badass in Dredd as Ma-Ma Madrigal.

RIVERDALE's Trevor Stines Explans Why He Wants To Play Nightwing

trevor-stines-nightwing-riverdale-231547

During a visit to the set of Riverdale, Stines remarked that his dream role would be to play Grayson -- that's Nightwing to you and me -- in either a TV or live-action film iteration.

During a livetweet of this week's episode, "Chapter 3 - Body Double," Stines proved his comic book cred during commercial breaks, chatting with ComicBook.com and other comics-friendly news outlets and making observations like how much he loved Tim Seeley's post-Rebirth run on Nightwing and lamenting the failure-to-launch of the Titans TV series that had been planned for TNT.

"I've been a huge comic book fan my entire life. Nightwing always has stuck out to me as a character," Stines told ComicBook.com after the livetweet. "I love his design, and the character of Grayson has always been an interesting one. Grayson in particular I think has always stuck out to me because he's the Robin who grew up. He's the one who worked under Batman, learned everything that Batman had to teach him, but then went off on his own and became a full-fledged superhero outside of Batman's shadow. I think he's a great character, and there's such a great complexity in that relationship with Batman, and in that kind of growth as a person, to take something that someone gave you and to make it your own as a human being as an adult, and to use it to help people."

Edited by Bosco685

Vikings Star Continues To Advocate For DCEU Black Canary Role

pzaYE5I.png

Katheryn Winnick, best known for appearing as Lagertha in History Channel's Vikings, has been entertaining the possibility of playing Dinah Lance, A.K.A. the Black Canary, within the DCEU for quite some time.

The Black Canary has a storied history within the DC universe, and has gained a strong fan-base in recent years thanks to Katie Cassidy's portrayal of the character on The CW's Arrow. But thanks to Winnick's hints online, many have embraced the possibility of her taking on the role on the big screen. This was initially sparked by a tweet from the actress in March of last year, in which she said she is "itching to try the Canary Cry," the character's sonic scream.

This sparked a lot of excitement amongst the DC fandom, with many set on Winnick playing the Justice League and Birds of Prey member. In the months since, Winnick has continued to fuel the fire of speculation, responding with a "hell yea" when asked if she would take on the role.

And today, Winnick sparked even more speculation when she shared a very familiar piece of fanart on Twitter. The piece, courtesy of BossLogic, was created back in December, when the possibility of Winnick playing Black Canary hit the mainstream.

Is Katheryn Winnick Teasing Black Canary Announcement At Comic-Con?

ClkpYYx.jpg

Katheryn Winnick, who is best known for portraying Lagertha on Vikings, recently teased a secret project on her Instagram story. The actress revealed, in an attached video, that the project in question will be announced during this month's San Diego Comic-Con.

While the announcement itself is rather vague, fans have begun to speculate - Could Winnick be entering the DCEU, possibly as Dinah Lance/Black Canary?