• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

So what does everyone thing are some of the most undervalued comics out there? I think major villains 1st app have always been undervalued. Its hard for me to think of Superman and not to think of Lex Luthor.

Kneel before Zod.

Adventure Comics #283 (also 1st Phantom Zone, important to Supergirl TV series and the DC Superman movies)

Spirou Oct 23, 1958 1st Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

Spirou Oct 30, 1958 1st Cover Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

9809611384_d778f9fcc2_c.jpg

How much is practically nothing and how difficult are these to acquire? Smurfs comics have been a lifelong love of mine. One of my first comics was King Smurf and I currently follow the Smurfs Anthology comics.

Is there really no market for it or people just don't know about it?

It's not easy to find. I can't seem to find one on the interweb.

But I'd think if you describe it well enough smurf collectors would find it and pay for it.

Frankly, I'd buy it.

Edited by the blob

I thought Adventure 283 has already moved up quite a bit in the marketplace. (shrug)

Even in Overstreet which is usually dead slow, the book is listed for $900 at top of guide.

True, but Adventure #283 is older than the 1961+ Marvel Universe.

Compare the guide value of Adventure #283 with household name General Zod to guide value for Kingpin in ASM #50 or Galactus in FF.

Then compare the number slabbed. I thought that older, harder to find, and first appearances of household names were the magic combo for comic books. (thumbs u

I thought Adventure 283 has already moved up quite a bit in the marketplace. (shrug)

Even in Overstreet which is usually dead slow, the book is listed for $900 at top of guide.

True, but Adventure #283 is older than the 1961+ Marvel Universe.

Compare the guide value of Adventure #283 with household name General Zod to guide value for Kingpin in ASM #50 or Galactus in FF.

Then compare the number slabbed. I thought that older, harder to find, and first appearances of household names were the magic combo for comic books. (thumbs u

+1. Zod was a great villain. His two movie versions were also excellently portrayed.

Green Lantern 7 (1st Sinestro) is another undervalued book.

Edited by solm4st3r

Firestorm 24 (1st Blue Devil)

Hulk 141 (1st Doc Samson)

Flash 112(1st Elongated Man)

Avengers 196 (Still room to move, Taskmaster)

Batman Adventures Mad Love NN (Great story/ origin)

Early JLA (Tough books)

Fear 11 (Great Adams Cover)

Dynamic Comics 11 (Great Cover)

Edited by Rip

Dynamic Comics 11 would be one on the list

Strange Tales 101 where can you find a Marvel key that cheap :o

Crime books in general great covers with intense stories inside

Romance books so overlooked with great art and major artists doing a lot of the work.

DC silver age super hero books seem prime for an increase of greater proportions, so feel undervalued. The main charters like Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, JLA, Flash, Green Lantern, and even Legion of Super Heroes, more so than Atom, Hawkman, Creeper, and other tier 2 characters.

I think in a way EC, romance and humor, the non-hero golden and silver age in high grade could experience a boost, yet am not confident in those categories since unlike heroes and movies of today, there really nothing going on which makes those titles "top of mind" or relevant to create a surge in interest or demand.

Some more then others

superman adventures 5

omega men 3

new teen titans 21

Marvel spotlight 5 ( I know the movies messed that book up but still)

flash (1959 series) 106

next men 21

Disagree with those two for sure. Flash 106 is pretty darn pricey for Gorilla Grodd and the Pied Piper. I believe it is the second most valuable book in the entire Flash run. (I don't think that it should be, I think that honor should belong to 123.)

As to MS5, two horrible movies for a C level character should be the kiss of death, yet MS5 kind of defied that expectation and is still up there in the same ball park as Hero for Hire 1. That is staying power if you ask me.

Firestorm 24 (1st Blue Devil)

Hulk 141 (1st Doc Samson)

Flash 112(1st Elongated Man)

Avengers 196 (Still room to move, Taskmaster)

Batman Adventures Mad Love NN (Great story/ origin)

Early JLA (Tough books)

Fear 11 (Great Adams Cover)

Dynamic Comics 11 (Great Cover)

Early JLA's in 'high grade' are definitely undervalued. Before i looked at the first 20 issues on the census i was guessing that 6 or 7 of them would have at least one 9.8. I was surprised to find that only 3 issues had a 9.8 and even more surprised to find that there were issues that didnt even have a 9.6. If there are any early high grade JLA collectors out there holding out for super high grade copies my advice would be to definitely buy a VF/NM, NM-, NM copy first and upgrade later.

My vote for single undervalued comic goes to OAAW #83.

Spirou Oct 23, 1958 1st Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

Spirou Oct 30, 1958 1st Cover Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

How much is practically nothing and how difficult are these to acquire? Smurfs comics have been a lifelong love of mine. One of my first comics was King Smurf and I currently follow the Smurfs Anthology comics.

But I'd think if you describe it well enough smurf collectors would find it and pay for it.

Frankly, I'd buy it.

I only have two copies of the first Smurfs and I have been looking for low priced decent conditions for a couple of years.

There are several problems.

Most of these copies are found in Europe

Most of the end times for these auctions end at around 6-10pm during whatever time zone the European nation is located in

I missed another auction that ended at 3am.

It’s not that the Spirou issues are undervalued, it’s just that the collecting market and logic for France and Belgium (and Europe in general) is sometimes pretty different than the one in the USA.

While first apperances are important, many collecting markets in Europe put more slant on the scarcity of books, or on complete runs.

France and Belgium put the emphasis on the first hardcover editions of the stories, which for the older material almost never coincide with the proper first appearance, which usually happened in a magazine.

So, the sought-after collectible is the hardcover edition of the Joan and Pirlouit story "La Flûte à six schtroumpfs", where the Smurfs appear for the first time. The first edition of the hardcover is very sought after, and not common.

The normal Spirou issues are generally treated as the surrounding ones, not valued much more, even with the increasing interest following the american collecting logic, for which they usually sell quickly when listed.

Frankly, I'd buy it.

I only have two copies of the first Smurfs and I have been looking for low priced decent conditions for a couple of years.

There are several problems.

Most of these copies are found in Europe

Most of the end times for these auctions end at around 6-10pm during whatever time zone the European nation is located in

I missed another auction that ended at 3am.

There's a comic published by Magazine Enterprises in 1951, with Pop Powell cover and interior, with a science fiction theme that would be right at home on a Weird Science or Mystery in Space cover!

The storyline: It's 2031, and an old military guy is telling a group of kids a story. He relates how back in '82 (1982) some kind of death ray, destroys Denver, and it came from the moon! A rocket is modified to attempt the first trip to the moon! A boy, maybe 10 years old, and an orphan, sneaks into the facility, and when people approach, hides in the ship. The mission's launch date has been pushed forward, and the Major, and young stowaway are off to the moon to destroy the death ray and stop whatever is trying to destroy the earth.

Again, this is from 1951, and in near mint condition, and only in near mint condition, is valued at $6.00! Six bucks. Atomic Age A 13 page story, with another 3 page backup feature 'Science Sidelights'. This explains how a metal pin can float on water, because water has skin! I guess 'surface tension' had yet to be 'coined'.

The guide does give reason for the low price. A warehouse find, in 1973. You'd think, heck, even if it had been published in 1973, it would be worth more than $6? It is a promo, however. Major Inapak the Space Ace #1. Inapak, is a chocolate milk mix, that is sold in a box in packets. The packaging looks more like a feminine hygiene product (back cover) being pitched (sold) by a German soldier.

I think it's time to give this book some love! Even if it's only...7 bucks?

There's a comic published by Magazine Enterprises in 1951, with Pop Powell cover and interior, with a science fiction theme that would be right at home on a Weird Science or Mystery in Space cover!

The storyline: It's 2031, and an old military guy is telling a group of kids a story. He relates how back in '82 (1982) some kind of death ray, destroys Denver, and it came from the moon! A rocket is modified to attempt the first trip to the moon! A boy, maybe 10 years old, and an orphan, sneaks into the facility, and when people approach, hides in the ship. The mission's launch date has been pushed forward, and the Major, and young stowaway are off to the moon to destroy the death ray and stop whatever is trying to destroy the earth.

Again, this is from 1951, and in near mint condition, and only in near mint condition, is valued at $6.00! Six bucks. Atomic Age A 13 page story, with another 3 page backup feature 'Science Sidelights'. This explains how a metal pin can float on water, because water has skin! I guess 'surface tension' had yet to be 'coined'.

The guide does give reason for the low price. A warehouse find, in 1973. You'd think, heck, even if it had been published in 1973, it would be worth more than $6? It is a promo, however. Major Inapak the Space Ace #1. Inapak, is a chocolate milk mix, that is sold in a box in packets. The packaging looks more like a feminine hygiene product (back cover) being pitched (sold) by a German soldier.

I think it's time to give this book some love! Even if it's only...7 bucks?

Ah Major Inapak... that will live on eBay forever...

It's a dollar bin book forever...