• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show Us Your Ducks!
16 16

8,405 posts in this topic

Song of the South is available on eBay at this moment. Most of the copies are from Great Britain but many people have DVD's that can play any disc. It is also available on VHS but you need to be more careful about being able to play a foreign tape.

It's kind of ironic that Splash Mountain--of course, one of the most popular rides in DL and WDW--is based on a movie Disney won't let us see.

Not to mention Disneyland's anthem.

Every time I take my nephews and nieces to Disney World, they keep asking _lots_ of questions about why the movie was banned. They are from Denmark and it is always a great opportunity for a teachable moment about American history and culture.

In the mid seventies Disney had this cool idea to do a Friday afternoon summer film festival at local theaters pairing a recent live action movie with a classic animated feature. Great fun and I got to see pretty much the whole slate of animated classics those summers. Song of the South was amongst the offerings and it's a very good film. Yes, copies can be had in the secondary market if one must see it.

Song of the South is available on eBay at this moment. Most of the copies are from Great Britain but many people have DVD's that can play any disc. It is also available on VHS but you need to be more careful about being able to play a foreign tape.

And on Amazon but whether those are legal copies or bootlegs is hard to tell. Given that it was withdrawn from circulation in 2001, it seems likely DVD copies out there are mostly bootleg and certainly not licensed by Disney for the US.

You can learn more about the movie here: http://www.songofthesouth.net/index.php

And while not a duck I can't help but posting my copy of Dell's movie adaptation. I picked up this copy at a Philly Seuling show as I recall in the late seventies or early eighties for between $15-20 if memory serves.

This is one of my favorite in this era of Disney Four Colors.

163127.jpg.879d0f70e5c1a41ef77ec36e59580241.jpg

And on Amazon but whether those are legal copies or bootlegs is hard to tell. Given that it was withdrawn from circulation in 2001, it seems likely DVD copies out there are mostly bootleg and certainly not licensed by Disney for the US.

You can learn more about the movie here: http://www.songofthesouth.net/index.php

Not to veer into politics, but there are a ton of movies out there from the 1930s and 1940s with what from a current perspective are objectionable racial characterizations. Some people would include the black crows in Dumbo on the list. It's too bad that Song of the South is the only film I know of that has been made unavailable on these grounds.

And while not a duck I can't help but posting my copy of Dell's movie adaptation. I picked up this copy at a Philly Seuling show as I recall in the late seventies or early eighties for between $15-20 if memory serves.

Nice copy. I think I have a beater. I've bid on a couple of nicer copies but they went a bit higher than I was willing to go.

Not to veer into politics, but there are a ton of movies out there from the 1930s and 1940s with what from a current perspective are objectionable racial characterizations. Some people would include the black crows in Dumbo on the list. It's too bad that Song of the South is the only film I know of that has been made unavailable on these grounds.

Disney has made some old films and cartoons available for sale even though they think them objectionable. They provide a background statement and sometimes even a video commentary prior to the start of the feature.

Nice copy. I think I have a beater. I've bid on a couple of nicer copies but they went a bit higher than I was willing to go.

I may still have my original copy which was a flea market beater which I was still glad to pick up back in the pre-internet early seventies when these books seemed so rare.

This thread was sinking into the Stygian darkness, so I thought I'd revive it with a couple of great back cover movies ads from WDC&S. These are from #s 54 and 77 respectively.

zwdcamps_054_back_raw_zpsl46iksbs.jpg

zwdcamps_077_raw_back_zpsjvbhkdin.jpg

Those are really nice. I love Song of the South (Brer Rabbit, anyway)! :cloud9:

Very cool and one I want! :applause:

All the talk around here about slabs reminded me how much I prefer raw comics. Sooo... crack, crack, crack and these Dell file copies are back in the wild.

wdcamps_054_raw_zpsnaijl9jv.jpg

wdcamps_069_raw_zpskvjnhqzm.jpg

wdcamps_077_raw_zpsjutqsnt1.jpg

These are great. Donald cheating against a kangaroo! :D He is such a little quacker!

<a  href=https://c7.staticflickr.com/8/7558/27263789094_5ed8ee4c36_z.jpg' alt='27263789094_5ed8ee4c36_z.jpg'>IMG FOUR COLOR #129 (Inside Front Cover)

mm

Hello Ducks!

Actually I am not one of the ducks and just happened to have early Uncle Scrooge/Donald Duck run. Right now, those books are currently on eBay. Just wondered if you are still interested in those books. Be aware that I will not break them up and I don't want to break the forum rules.

Well, now the commercial break is over meh ... let's get back to sharing ducks.

Here's my latest. The tortoise keeps inching along, though it's slow going these days.

wdcamps_012_zps3qmtxdin.jpg

I have my eye on another one finishing this weekend. We'll see...