• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pre-Heat Speculation Thread - Get it before it gets HOT
9 9

2,180 posts in this topic

Anyone here interested in Riri?

Marvel just released a new picture for their upcoming "reboot" and has Riri front and center.

People have been buying Invincible iron man 7, a small cameo at best. Not bad if you are into cameos, BUT if you want a real full app maybe look into invincible iron man 9, also check out that age of apocalypse variant for IM9....gold?

Seems like this variant has all the ingredients to be a success.

Still can be found at your a LCS. Small risk with big potential for the long term.

IIM 7 is a first appearance. The market doesn't care about the extent of the appearance with modern books. Content doesn't matter anymore. In the past a reader might value a later appearance of a character over a one panel teaser in a previous issue but that doesn't apply these days. A person with a genuine interest in the Riri Williams character might personally value issue 9 or 10 more than issue 7 because those issues flesh out the character a bit, but that person is in the buying minority. Those issues have no incentive variants. They have no reprints with lower print numbers.

Thats because the modern flipper doesnt read comic books today. I agree with the IM7/IM9. To me issue 9 AoA variant has the biggest potential, the AoA was a 1:1 variant not a 1 :10, 1:25 etc...

5188368-09-variant.jpg

It dont hurt to get issues 7 to 10 for Riri fans. Issue 9 will organically grow where as issue 7 only is in demand because is a pump and dump book.

Way too many new people learning the ropes in this hobby trying to find that next kamala/x23 book, that new hot #1 series. We got people buying and praising Lois N Clark 1 as being new superboys 1st app, then turn around the next week and say superboy 19 is the "real" 1st app, when this are clearly 2 diff people ;) like someone once said "that speaks volumes" as to where people are today when it comes to comics.

At the end of the day people can spend their cash however they please, and the new boys in the hobby should do some research and learn it that way, but is good for them to get a few dents along the way and follow that weekly flavor of the week, just dont fall asleep with those books on your hands.

Anyways, enough of that.

Pre heat pis for

IIM 7/9 AoA

I disgree since it is a 1:1 ratio. The regular issue has her on the cover drawn by the creator. The issue to have is the regular. Plus, if you look at ebay sales Before the last two days, people were buying the regular issue not the variant.

09.jpg

Midtown sold out of those this morning as well. (The #9 regular cover.) There's still a couple of other books around, mostly on eBay. I gotta agree with Catch21, though. The regular issue is a Riri fan's jackpot: full body Riri in new armor, with "INTRODUCING..." caption, AND if you read comics (as any real speccer should), Riri's in the book in armor as well.

Meanwhile, the AoA variant doesn't even have her on it. Isn't that Rhodey? (Riri has an Optimus Prime-style "antenna".)

I emailed CGC this morning and I got this reply:

"After reviewing the issues in question, Invincible Iron Man #7 will be labeled as Riri's first appearance in cameo on last page, and #9 will be labeled as her first full appearance."

So it looks like both books will have a bit of value, though obviously #7 is the current hotness right now.

"After reviewing the issues in question, Invincible Iron Man #7 will be labeled as Riri's first appearance in cameo on last page, and #9 will be labeled as her first full appearance."

Can anyone confirm this?

If it's true...

#7 = Hulk 180

#9 = hulk 181

Not even a contest here...

trade your 7's for 9's

now...

Not even a contest, right.

Comparing a book released this year to Hulk 180/181. Really?

CGC states All New Marvel Point One is the first full appearance of Kamala as Ms Marvel. Does that book sell for more than CM 14 or CM 17 2nd print? Nope.

CGC states Batman 656 is the first full appearance of Damian Wayne. Does that book sell for more than Batman 655? Nope.

Would you like me to continue?

Sigh....

"IF'

CGC lists # 9 as 1st full appearance on label & #7 as cameo....

"IF" it's true....

I say by 12-01-16

#9 in 9.8 > than #7 in 9.8 ( ebay completed median )

You say by 12-01-16

#7 in 9.8 > than #9 in 9.8

DM any amount to wager & charity of your choice.

Fair?

A last page cameo vs the characters Armor being front and center on the cover of IIM #9 ( even heralds the new hero without a cool name found inside on the cover). First FULL Appearance AND the first time she dons her Armor is all inside IIM #9 . Like you stated the print runs are virtually the same so all of that really cool stuff going outside and inside of IIM#9 vs a one panel hello (actually a door slam ) in IIM #7 ?

Right. But the market largely doesn't care about any of that. People always want to argue about cameos vs full appearances on here, but in terms of books produced within the past twenty years, the market doesn't particularly care about the difference. First appearances, even cameos, trump later issues unless a later issue is significantly harder to obtain due to the print run AND the first appearance issue is questionable - a brief appearance, or the character is in shadows or otherwise obscured, or heaven help us, an infant

Look at Jessica Cruz. Green Lantern 20. Her entire appearance amounts of a single panel of her hand. But its a first appearance. And it has a low print variant. So that is what the market cares about. Her first full appearance is in Justice League 31. Its also her first cover, is a partial origin issue, and has her transformation into her superhero state. The book even has a "low print" incentive variant and combo pack. Market doesn't care though, because the content doesn't matter.

Look at Black Flash. Presumably people bought Flash 138 at marked up prices because they were intrigued by the character's appearance on the Flash tv show. They bought it because of it promising to be the first appearance of the character. And technically it is. But if you actually care about the character and the content on the interior pages, you would probably be a bit disappointed to find out that the appearance of Black Flash in that book amounts to nothing more than a last page panel where you see a partial depiction of the character in a photograph. The character's arc doesn't even really start until 139. And even then the character is only shown in "cameo" in 139 and 140. Issue 141, meanwhile is the first cover and first full appearance, plus it features the race between Flash and Black Flash and the death of the Black Flash. That book has everything going for it in terms of content and being the first meaningful appearance of the Black Flash character. But while it saw an uptick in prices recently it didn't approach the prices of 138, because content doesn't matter.

Look at Ajax. First appearance in Deadpool 14. Market didn't care that it was a super brief appearance. It didn't matter that issue 17 or the 98 annual had much more going for them in terms of content and relevance in regards to Ajax. It didn't even matter that the annual was by far the most expensive book of the three before Ajax became "desirable". But when the market deemed Ajax relevant issue 14 started selling for more than the annual, because content doesn't matter.

Who cares if Riri appears on the cover of 9? Or if she appears in costume in 9. Or has a full appearance in 9. Or gets named in issue 10. Because neither of those books are considerably harder to obtain than the actual first appearance. The market will default to the first appearance in issue 7 as being the book to have. See Jessica Cruz. See Black Flash. See Damian Wayne. See Silk. See just about any other first appearance of a character that has debuted between the late 90s and now. The low print book matters, the content does not.

I "only" care what the CGC label says....

THAT'S endgame.

Argue all you want.

Not saying it's true...

IF it is...

#9 wins.

Bet me.

Anything.....

Put your $ where your anonymous internet moniker mouf is....

Actually Darkstar made a valid argument with supportive facts and no

sarcasm either.

And your response is to insult him.

Detecting sarcasm, where there is none...

Is the sign of a weak & perverted mind.

Chumpelstiltskin...

RiRi? Jessica Cruz? Ajax? lol

The "market" may very well be off on first appearance books of characters like that because they are not even the slightest bit important.

You are in a thread which specifically concerns characters that aren't the slightest bit important. Or were at one time before they suddenly became important.

When a character becomes important enough the public will sift through the hype and single out a true first appearance. Happens all the time, it's just usually years after that character can be called successful.

The idea behind this thread is to be ahead of the public. That seems lost on you.

If two books are in contention for being a "first appearance" then the readers of this thread are interested in knowing which book that is likely to be.

Well, NOTHING lasts forever ! Million plus print runs and holographic covers carried the market for several years in the 90's. It was the norm, it was the expectation... it killed that market. So, while you can give examples of what HAS been the norm, it doesn't mean it will hold true forever. CGC has played a huge role in the secondary market chase and as such it appears the mentioned label in a previous post will drive people away from #7 to #9. Let's be honest here, ignoring investment potential, people SHOULD be picking up #9 if they care about the character.

But why would the label drive people away from 7 to 9? Not saying it won't, but can you give an example of where a CGC label that indicated a full appearance drove the market away from a book that was similarly designated a cameo appearance?

But why would the label drive people away from 7 to 9? Not saying it won't, but can you give an example of where a CGC label that indicated a full appearance drove the market away from a book that was similarly designated a cameo appearance?

AS I type this the census shows 5 ! #7's graded and 0 #9's s. This is pre-heat of 2 books that have come out in the last few months. So, my comment has no validity. Let's just say the speculators are trying to formulate a "guess" to what is more important while this character is being fleshed out in the books. IF #9A didn't have her Armor on the cover, the Tease on the cover, her full appearance and her putting on that armor maybe #7's cameo would be more interesting to me. Regardless, people reading this should be diversifying into both books. IF she becomes a major player you will be rewarded by having both. The train has not left the station.

So many agendas at work ............

Its doubtful that anyone loaded up on these books until the last day or two. It now comes down to, "which book will be the one to own ? ". That and the fact that all of the #7s have ugly covers. lol

AS I type this the census shows 5 ! #7's graded and 0 #9's s. This is pre-heat of 2 books that have come out in the last few months. So, my comment has no validity. Let's just say the speculators are trying to formulate a "guess" to what is more important while this character is being fleshed out in the books. IF #9A didn't have her Armor on the cover, the Tease on the cover, her full appearance and her putting on that armor maybe #7's cameo would be more interesting to me. Regardless, people reading this should be diversifying into both books. IF she becomes a major player you will be rewarded by having both. The train has not left the station.

Sound advice.

Its doubtful that anyone loaded up on these books until the last day or two. It now comes down to, "which book will be the one to own ? ". That and the fact that all of the #7s have ugly covers. lol

FWIW I pre-order a minimum of 50 of any book I speculate on... I will say I have more #9's because of #7 (thumbs u with discounts on pre-orders you don;t have to hit on many to cover the losers . Plus you only have to sell so many of the losers at cover to get a big chunk of investment back. :headbang:

FWIW I pre-order a minimum of 50 of any book I speculate on... I will say I have more #9's because of #7 (thumbs u with discounts on pre-orders you don;t have to hit on many to cover the losers . Plus you only have to sell so many of the losers at cover to get a big chunk of investment back. :headbang:

Well, it. Appears congratulations are in order. :applause:

FWIW I pre-order a minimum of 50 of any book I speculate on... I will say I have more #9's because of #7 (thumbs u with discounts on pre-orders you don;t have to hit on many to cover the losers . Plus you only have to sell so many of the to losers at cover to get a big chunk of investment back. :headbang:

FTFY :grin:

Edited by Lonzilla

FWIW I pre-order a minimum of 50 of any book I speculate on... I will say I have more #9's because of #7 (thumbs u with discounts on pre-orders you don;t have to hit on many to cover the losers . Plus you only have to sell so many of the to losers at cover to get a big chunk of investment back. :headbang:

FTFY :grin:

Come on now , I have sold many a large lot of books to some big time winners including a number of LCS owners

Edited by viperdays

Don't forget about those losers :-) There are far more BUT luckily I haven't had a negative year in.... it's been a longgg time lol

This is something that we share. The last 3 years have been insane. It reminds me of another time that was a legendary run too. JLA, JSA, Flash, Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate X-men, Origin, The Authority, Planetary, New Avengers, Green Arrow, Daredevil, and the list goes on. The quality of the books was high and people had to have them. Once again, we're in the good old days. :banana:

People aren't losers if they enjoy what they're buying.

Opps... I was referring to the books that didn't do well. Worded poorly . Sorry

I was referring to Lonzillas FTFY

They're definitely losing if they're paying over-inflated prices for new books.

Interesting. Is the licensing show for all kinds of products? Weird that Darkhorse would be there.

As for the book, It might be good speculation to try to get cheaper issue 1 of the mini series since that would be the issue that heats up or something like the ECCC exclusive.

The licensing show is an annual industry only trade show and exposition that is global, worldwide. Characters like Hello Kitty (Sanrio) and Others like Nintendo's Mario Bros, Saga's Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as trendy Ugly Dolls, Domo, Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc attend to showcase their characters and brands. Marvel / Disney was in attendance and there was a huge a Wonder Woman (on the same level you would see at comic con) museum quality display from Warner Bros.

It is the place where emerging brands are either built or existing established brands are supported. Aside from fictional characters, there are licenses for 2Pac, Led Zeppelin, and celebrities too.

It is a show for all purposes, whether you want to license a character for use as a toy, to put an image on a mug, to build a board game, develop a movie, etc.

So, to see Dark Horse wasn't a surprise, but to see Dark Horse champion the Lady Killer brand and put it out there to the non comic book folks as a license was very interesting to see. They were and are pitching it an the same retro cool vein as the AMC show "Mad Men" with a twist.

Interesting. Is the licensing show for all kinds of products? Weird that Darkhorse would be there.

As for the book, It might be good speculation to try to get cheaper issue 1 of the mini series since that would be the issue that heats up or something like the ECCC exclusive.

The licensing show is an annual industry only trade show and exposition that is global, worldwide. Characters like Hello Kitty (Sanrio) and Others like Nintendo's Mario Bros, Saga's Sonic the Hedgehog, as well as trendy Ugly Dolls, Domo, Candy Crush, Angry Birds, etc attend to showcase their characters and brands. Marvel / Disney was in attendance and there was a huge a Wonder Woman (on the same level you would see at comic con) museum quality display from Warner Bros.

It is the place where emerging brands are either built or existing established brands are supported. Aside from fictional characters, there are licenses for 2Pac, Led Zeppelin, and celebrities too.

It is a show for all purposes, whether you want to license a character for use as a toy, to put an image on a mug, to build a board game, develop a movie, etc.

So, to see Dark Horse wasn't a surprise, but to see Dark Horse champion the Lady Killer brand and put it out there to the non comic book folks as a license was very interesting to see. They were and are pitching it an the same retro cool vein as the AMC show "Mad Men" with a twist.

I can understand the pitch of Lady Killer being as big as Mad Men. It is a good story line. So this is usually B2B. If I wanted to make t-shirts of Marvel characters I would want to attend this show to inquire about the license or meet a contact then?

Just trying to understand the business world side a little more.