• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The OFFICIAL "This week in your ORIGINAL ART collection?"
37 37

12,744 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I've posted here but it's been an awesome year for commissions despite the Australian dollar not being very strong (which has cut my international spending quite considerably). I've managed to do 4 conventions in 3 months by going interstate and scored some personally amazing pieces. Art Adams was defintely the highlight! I had to line up 3.5 hours before the show to get the piece but it was worth it. CAF for all my other pieces

Stryfe by Freddie Williams II at Oz Comic Con Perth

laN4sBpK_1704160441521sbpi.jpg

Wonder Woman by Paulo Siqueira at Oz Comic Con Melbourne

M1QdeHZA_1106161833241sbpi.jpg

Poison Ivy by Arthur Adams at Supanova Perth

Bcq5KKTp_2606160640531gpadd.jpeg

Grimm Fairy Tales presents No Tomorrow 1 Cover by Mike Krome at Supanova Perth

JHcTPX8p_2606160642571gpadd.jpeg

Edited by Scocas

It was entertaining. I couldn't believe what some stuff was going for. A lot of the lesser name artist's pieces were selling for multiples of their commission rates! Did you see that big FF painting? That thing was amazing.

I

I got a little crazy at Shelton's art auction at Heroes. This Bagley Hulk DPS was the result.

I enjoyed the auction as well. No purchases this year but I was watching the action closely on this one. Congrats!

Yep, really weird auction experience this year. This is only my 4th auction but it had a totally different feel than any of the previous I had attended. Even walking around the floor on Fri/Sat, the conversation about big ticket items was conspicuously absent. I hope the days of Hughes and Brooks putting up their pieces (that have been signature pieces of auctions past) are not gone. No Noto, No David Williams and not a lot of other big names in the auction (Wrightson, Neal Adams, etc. have been in multiple auctions) this year either. I was surprised at a few items that went high (the FN187 was crazy) but overall I thought the auction skewed more toward the prices going lower across the board than normal. The FF piece was insane as I doubt anyone saw it going for $7K and being the high water mark for the night (I didn’t stay so I am not sure this is true). We were sitting right next to the guy who won it and the buzz on the floor was that he was formerly from the Charlotte area and had moved to Hawaii so he had an emotional attachment to the piece (and add in that the bidding war was between him and the guy who bought the FN187 piece) – the guys hand was shaking every time he raised up his bidding paddle. The artist struck gold when he decided to do a piece with the Charlotte downtown buildings (I heard his piece went for 200 last year). I hope it isn’t the start of a trend as I would love to see AH and Brooks back (I also sat really close to the guy who paid $15K for the Brooks piece last year). I’d love to see Allison running the auction and the smoking jacket crew scurrying around. The room was missing a certain buzz this year – hoping they can start to recapture it going forward.

The guy up front was buying a lot of stuff, great for the fundraising for the con but I was thankful he left before the last few things I was interested in were on the block. :eek:

First auction and heroes for me, but I had a lot of fun. Most of the art wasn't my thing, but I definitely picked up a few deals. I can try to post a few photos sometime this weekend.

Why did that Stormtrooper painting with the blood go that high? Did I miss something there? It's cool they raised that much money with it, but I didn't understand it going over $1k the way it did...

well, dont often post here but why not. Won this in a fine art auction, turns out its the giant reworked version done by Jusko for a series of lithographs and other projects back in 2001 for Marvel and Dynamic Forces.

DnZ5JQu3_2906161849121gpadd.jpg

Its huge. Put it on my CAF.

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=1326653&GSub=145535

for scale, took a photo of it next to a comic...like i said...gynormous

9DPJhKa0_2906161851251gpaiadd.JPG

Edited by zhamlau

Not a huge DC/Superman guy but why not. Picked up the title splash to action 655. It was just iconic, it looked like what you would hope a superman title splash would look like. McLeod and Breeding, killed it. Love the copper age, was in middle school when this came out, think i even read it (had a truck on cover, different cover artist).

anyway, huzzah...superman icon

Ft8kYnkf_0507162102271gpadd.jpg

Not a huge DC/Superman guy but why not. Picked up the title splash to action 655. It was just iconic, it looked like what you would hope a superman title splash would look like. McLeod and Breeding, killed it. Love the copper age, was in middle school when this came out, think i even read it (had a truck on cover, different cover artist).

anyway, huzzah...superman icon

Ft8kYnkf_0507162102271gpadd.jpg

Stunning image from the days when Superman used to be, well... super !