• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What do you think are some of the most undervalued comics out there?
3 3

194 posts in this topic

I remember going to the comic shop when I was a kid and Kris Silver was there and he was like "Hey kid, you like Wolverine? Check this out, this guy has claws too, and this is the first issue, it will be worth a fortune!"

I bought it home and I think on page two a rape happens, then the rest of the pages were blood, guts, and bad words. I was like ten years old.

Of course I loved Silverwolf Comics from that point forward though lol

Weird the comic shop had no problem selling me that but would not sell me Hate or Love And Rockets. (shrug)

I probably shouldn't say this because I haven't completed my run yet, but the Fight Comics run has some of the best WWII covers. I do already have a nice copy of my favorite cover:

Fight20Aresz.jpg

There are no Copper Age or Modern Age books that are undervalued right now. By the mid 70's, people were buying books to hoard more than they were buying them to read, so there is a massive surplus of all mainstream titles from that time period. Of course, a movie deal about an independent-press character could be a game changer.

Agree that Fight has some of the best covers out there, you have some great comics :applause:

I probably shouldn't say this because I haven't completed my run yet, but the Fight Comics run has some of the best WWII covers. I do already have a nice copy of my favorite cover:

Fight20Aresz.jpg

There are no Copper Age or Modern Age books that are undervalued right now. By the mid 70's, people were buying books to hoard more than they were buying them to read, so there is a massive surplus of all mainstream titles from that time period. Of course, a movie deal about an independent-press character could be a game changer.

I agree those are some nice covers. Don't worry have to many runs as it stands but I do love that cover. :headbang:

Twenty years ago, I used to say that it were the early Archie books. Well, I can definitely no longer say that as the market prices on the early Archie's have gone up like a rocket over the past several years.

Another one which I have mentioned before and which I still feel is undervalued are the second issues of the 2 big iconic characters from DC. From my point of view both Action 2 and especially Detective 28 are extremely undervalued given how early these issues are.

Yes, I know that they do not feature the main character on their covers, but come on, they are the second appearances for both Superman and Batman. And in the case of Detective 28, probably the scarcest of all the pre-Robin Detective books. hm

Spirou Oct 23, 1958 1st Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

Spirou Oct 30, 1958 1st Cover Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

9809611384_d778f9fcc2_c.jpg

Spirou Oct 23, 1958 1st Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

Spirou Oct 30, 1958 1st Cover Appearance of the Smurfs: Market Price - practically nothing

9809611384_d778f9fcc2_c.jpg

How much is practically nothing and how difficult are these to acquire? Smurfs comics have been a lifelong love of mine. One of my first comics was King Smurf and I currently follow the Smurfs Anthology comics.

How much is practically nothing and how difficult are these to acquire? Smurfs comics have been a lifelong love of mine. One of my first comics was King Smurf and I currently follow the Smurfs Anthology comics.

When I purchased them I don't recall the exact price other than the international shipping was the largest part of the transaction. Not more than $10 for the book.

As far as difficulty: I thought they would be hard to track down but it only took a few minutes and I had located them on Amazon France. I cant make any estimation on whether I was a victim of dumb luck or if these books show up commonly.

So what does everyone thing are some of the most undervalued comics out there? I think major villains 1st app have always been undervalued. Its hard for me to think of Superman and not to think of Lex Luthor. Some other examples are Two-face, Penguin, and the Riddler. I think the Joker and Catwoman are exceptions just because they came out in Batman #1. But even look at Tec 45 which has the 3rd and 4th app of the Joker yet Batman #4 is worth more with the 5th app of the Joker. Now I know earlier numbers in series and how rare a comic plays a role in that but there is no way villains are getting their dues. It's hard to have a superhero with out villains. I think part of the reason is because ppl seem to hold onto those issues and there's not a lot of those Golden Age comics. So they don't get sold that often. I know many ppl will disagree with me and that's fine but I'm interested in what ppl think.

With GA books, especially of popular titles scarcity plays a big role.

Look at the census.

13 graded copies of Batman 4

90 graded copies of detective 45

plus batman 4 is the better cover, fo' sho'

Villians are valued less than heroes because they are not in every month, so they will never be as important as the hero (Case in point, there's only one Superman but he has many villians, thus the villians 1st appearances are less valuable)

I will say i think Superman #30 with the first Mr Mxyzptlk is surprisingly affordable, and I've always liked [REDACTED what am i doing, dont tell him, at least not until i get my copy]

:gossip: It looks like you looked up Detective #4 rather than Batman #4;

There are 188 graded copies of Batman #4 vs. 90 graded copies of Tec #45.

That said, I'd take a Tec #45 over a Batman #4, even if they had similar census #'s.

So what does everyone thing are some of the most undervalued comics out there? I think major villains 1st app have always been undervalued. Its hard for me to think of Superman and not to think of Lex Luthor. Some other examples are Two-face, Penguin, and the Riddler. I think the Joker and Catwoman are exceptions just because they came out in Batman #1. But even look at Tec 45 which has the 3rd and 4th app of the Joker yet Batman #4 is worth more with the 5th app of the Joker. Now I know earlier numbers in series and how rare a comic plays a role in that but there is no way villains are getting their dues. It's hard to have a superhero with out villains. I think part of the reason is because ppl seem to hold onto those issues and there's not a lot of those Golden Age comics. So they don't get sold that often. I know many ppl will disagree with me and that's fine but I'm interested in what ppl think.

With GA books, especially of popular titles scarcity plays a big role.

Look at the census.

13 graded copies of Batman 4

90 graded copies of detective 45

plus batman 4 is the better cover, fo' sho'

Villians are valued less than heroes because they are not in every month, so they will never be as important as the hero (Case in point, there's only one Superman but he has many villians, thus the villians 1st appearances are less valuable)

I will say i think Superman #30 with the first Mr Mxyzptlk is surprisingly affordable, and I've always liked [REDACTED what am i doing, dont tell him, at least not until i get my copy]

I'm not saying major golden age villains should be worth as much as superheroes. I'm not saying they should even be 1/10 the value. I just don't feel they get a fair value. Again, no villains no superheroes. Action Comics #1 9.2=$2.5m Action Comics #23 9.2=$30k that's only a about 1/85 its value. Again, I'm not saying it should even be in the same ball park. I just feel there undervalued. So far I only have the first Two-face but hope to get the others. :grin:

Edited by Porter1977