• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show me your Timely's and I'll show you mine. Have a Cigar...
30 30

22,992 posts in this topic

Does anyone have a list of all the Timely cgc "classic" covers?

I saw some older lists on the net, but some of the data seems incorrect.

Thanks.

I think this is project I look forward for you to complete (joke, but kinda not joking)

redraven1cgc65-1.jpg

Great book Jamie, one you just don't see much of...

Obviously a high grade copy if not for the PQ which no doubtly hammered the grade. Stunning copy.

That is what I would call a dream copy. Graded 6.5 but looks more 8.5. :applause:

You got that right. Stunning. (worship) That book is hard to find without restoration also.

As a tough one-shot loaded with Kirby art it's certainly a key Timely. :insane:

Wasn't that the last Church book Chuck parted with? I think his copy might have been restored as well, iirc.

You got that right. Stunning. (worship) That book is hard to find without restoration also.

Wasn't that the last Church book Chuck parted with? I think his copy might have been restored as well, iirc.

I've heard rumors about Chuck's Church book, but it's doubtful it would've gotten a blue label with obvious resto. My Billy book is clean and supple with nice PQ and no apparent resto. It was probably pressed before being submitted to HA by the then current owner, but that's par for the course these days...

14f2814e-1836-4f48-a678-1213a84cce87_zpscttheqdk.jpg

I've heard rumors about Chuck's Church book, but it's doubtful it would've gotten a blue label with obvious resto. My Billy book is clean and supple with nice PQ and no apparent resto. It was probably pressed before being submitted to HA by the then current owner, but that's par for the course theses days...

It's a beaut!

I just looked on the census and there are 15 blue copies and 27 PLODs. Seems like an odd mix. hm

I've heard rumors about Chuck's Church book, but it's doubtful it would've gotten a blue label with obvious resto. My Billy book is clean and supple with nice PQ and no apparent resto. It was probably pressed before being submitted to HA by the then current owner, but that's par for the course these days...

The Church copy is a blue label 9.0...

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

Ah, right you are. As I remember, he offered it on his site for some insane amount. I just looked and he eventually sold it on Heritage for $75K Heritage Red Raven 1 Church copy auction

Could have sworn it was restored, but apparently not ... unless it got unrestored at some point.

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

I'm having trouble finding the obvious resto...

He was asking 500K at Comic-Con that year.

I guess he applied his usual multiplier to the actual FMV! :D

Although, honestly, $75K seems low to me for that book.

The Church book looks pretty nice in the Heritage scan (it can be easily enlarged for details). My HP scanner did a pretty good job on the Billy book too. Without comparing grader's notes, I'd definitely give the edge to Church on PQ, but that's about it.

I'd agree that the $75k hammer price seems low for the Church copy. It probably should've pulled closer to 100k based on rarity, provenance, and historical relevance as an early Kirby tour de force. I seem to recall quite a few hot books in that particular auction. It might've driven sales down on some big ticket books.

Disclaimer: I won't even bother with my standard 2c inflation adjustment for this post. Opinions on Red Raven are priceless. lol

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

Having graded that book, I can tell you there was absolutely no restoration on it. It has a small spine split on it, keeping it from ever grading any higher.

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

Having graded that book, I can tell you there was absolutely no restoration on it. It has a small spine split on it, keeping it from ever grading any higher.

Needs a spot of glue!

image_zpsoeui8e0i.gif

Needs a spot of glue!

doh!