• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fiction house anyone?
26 26

9,726 posts in this topic

D91AD9CB-CB43-42DA-8F8A-F84921EDAE95_zpsogrt3czu.jpg

I finally found one of these better than 5.0. I don't have to wait around for Jimbo to finally sell his now. I couldn't even wait for this to show up to my doorstep to celebrate. I had several copies of this and even have multiples now but this is the first time I've been able to have one that's in the fine range.

...... if I were to ever get an 8.0 of this in the mail, I'd probably have to call in sick to work...... that's how much I like this book..... :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:applause: It's one of my favorites too. Wonderful composition and beautiful color palette.

Hmmm - how long since we did a thread on the greatest FH cover? Planet #65 would certainly be a strong candidate!

Edited by Flex Mentallo

I finally found one of these better than 5.0. I don't have to wait around for Jimbo to finally sell his now. I couldn't even wait for this to show up to my doorstep to celebrate. I had several copies of this and even have multiples now but this is the first time I've been able to have one that's in the fine range.

Nice copy. This book is the classic example of a book not extremely difficult to locate, but super difficult to find in higher grade( as mentioned 5.0 and above). A condition super rarity and almost impossible to locate in 8.0 or higher.

As flex said, this is on the short list of "best" or Classic FH covers.

Nice copy. This book is the classic example of a book not extremely difficult to locate, but super difficult to find in higher grade( as mentioned 5.0 and above). A condition super rarity and almost impossible to locate in 8.0 or higher.

As flex said, this is on the short list of "best" or Classic FH covers.

It is my personal favorite Planet cover (33-35 are on my short list too...and 66... oh wait, 70 is great too...and then there is 56, of course...and you can't forget 58. Damn, they are all nice :juggle: ) and in my top five good girl gold covers.

There's certainly something special about that GGA cover. It captures something that many covers cannot.

I love how it's 'still' and almost moving in slow motion, even though there is a lot going on.

It's almost like a still out of a slow motion, 50's Sci Fi flick. Just terrific.

There's certainly something special about that GGA cover. It captures something that many covers cannot.

I love how it's 'still' and almost moving in slow motion, even though there is a lot going on.

It's almost like a still out of a slow motion, 50's Sci Fi flick. Just terrific.

Well, mine's still highest graded (of 19 copies, with one 8.0 and one 7.5), though I thought sure to have been exceeded by now. Maybe there is a raw Spokane copy lurking somewhere?

Does anyone have any theories regarding it's relative scarcity in higher grade?

PlanetComics6585_zps901cd002.jpg

Well, mine's still highest graded (of 19 copies, with one 8.0 and one 7.5), though I thought sure to have been exceeded by now. Maybe there is a raw Spokane copy lurking somewhere?

Does anyone have any theories regarding it's relative scarcity in higher grade?

PlanetComics6585_zps901cd002.jpg

That is a beauty! (worship) All I know is I have been looking for one in the Fine range or better for the last 3 years and I think this is the second one I've seen available.

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

That is a beauty! (worship) All I know is I have been looking for one in the Fine range or better for the last 3 years and I think this is the second one I've seen available.

Well, to put that in perspective, it took me over 20 years to find this one - and only then because a good friend was willing to let it go.

Well, to put that in perspective, it took me over 20 years to find this one - and only then because a good friend was willing to let it go.

3 years is not a long time in Planet hunting - maybe every four or five years a new wave will come along - so hang in there!

Last time he leaves the backdoor unlocked with you around! :D

...... if I were to ever get an 8.0 of this in the mail, I'd probably have to call in sick to work...... that's how much I like this book..... :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

:applause: It's one of my favorites too. Wonderful composition and beautiful color palette.

Hmmm - how long since we did a thread on the greatest FH cover? Planet #65 would certainly be a strong candidate!

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but my favorite Friction House title is Fight (closely followed by Planet). My favorite FH cover is this one. Just so much of a story to be told. I also love the mood and colors and of course the obvious.

comfight35_zpsl2h0zrqe.jpg

My favorite Planet cover would be this closely followed by the one below it.

complanet34_zpszxxsupok.jpg

complanet72_zpsaio1fjmq.jpg

There are a few Planets that are very challenging to find in higher grade.

Which issues are you thinking of, Jason?

The #65 qualifies in this regard I think. The earlier issues in the rivet run almost all fall in to this category too for the most part (not surprisingly) and also the #72 and #57 come to mind. Not impossible to find of course, but a lot of the higher grade issues are held pretty tightly be collectors for the most part, so you don't always see them in nice grade become available. Its part of why putting together this run is both enjoyable and a challenge as its not an easy task to complete. I am looking forward to the day I complete my run and I can focus only on upgrades from that point on.

The quest has been about a decade in the making already, but I am on the home stretch now.

Warmest Regards,

Jason

What is your definition of "high grade" as far as planets are concerned ?

Anyone else's thoughts on this question are welcome too :foryou:

for most issues, I consider 8.0 and above higher grade for this run. Some issues though, finding and acquiring an issue in almost any grade is an accomplishment (ie. #15, #14, #13 ) My own collection ranges anywhere from 3.0 to 9.4.(for the currently graded copies). Its hard to pin down exactly, but for me I know what I like when I see it, that's when it starts becoming expensive sometimes...lol

for most issues, I consider 8.0 and above higher grade for this run. Some issues though, finding and acquiring an issue in almost any grade is an accomplishment (ie. #15, #14, #13 ) My own collection ranges anywhere from 3.0 to 9.4.(for the currently graded copies). Its hard to pin down exactly, but for me I know what I like when I see it, that's when it starts becoming expensive sometimes...lol

8.0 or better challenge:

2, 5, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 26, 28, 33, 34, 35, 61, 65, 66

Love the Planet 65. It is one of my favorites as well.

I guess I love them all, but this is a favorite as well, at least of the handful in my collection. Something about this scene and the moment captured before impact and rescue, and the contrast of expressions on the 3 faces. I also love the orange.

lf87UPX65F_zpsqnjh1iw4.jpg