• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Teen Humor--Anything but Archie
12 12

3,275 posts in this topic

Starting to regret selling my copy of this book. Compare cover to this famous picture of Rita Hayworth by Bob Landry from the 1941 cover of Life Magazine.

Rita-Hayworth-Bob-Landry-19411.jpg

Dotty = Tops In Beauty - A Real Hep Cutie

img264.jpg

What a great cover. I must have one.

Ken

Don't recall seeing one before. I think those Dottys are pretty tough.

A lot of the Dottie artwork is by Archie artist Al Hartley. I never was a fan of his Patsy Walker and Atlas work and his Archie work gets mixed responses from Archie fans but in the 1940's I thought his stuff was pretty nice! He did the Ernie books as well.

I really like Al Hartley's work - especially on the Atlas titles Meet Miss Bliss and Della Vision. :luhv: These comics are rarer than hen's teeth.

Starting to regret selling my copy of this book. Compare cover to this famous picture of Rita Hayworth by Bob Landry from the 1941 cover of Life Magazine.

Rita-Hayworth-Bob-Landry-19411.jpg

Dotty = Tops In Beauty - A Real Hep Cutie

img264.jpg

What a great cover. I must have one.

Ken

Don't recall seeing one before. I think those Dottys are pretty tough.

A lot of the Dottie artwork is by Archie artist Al Hartley. I never was a fan of his Patsy Walker and Atlas work and his Archie work gets mixed responses from Archie fans but in the 1940's I thought his stuff was pretty nice! He did the Ernie books as well.

I really like Al Hartley's work - especially on the Atlas titles Meet Miss Bliss and Della Vision. :luhv: These comics are rarer than hen's teeth.

That's it all right. It's a great swipe!

I don't usually do this, but I just gotta double post. I've been looking forever for #2 of this cool series and finally landed it. A very cool and hard to find short 4 issue run.

comstarletohara1_zpsurxy5hhc.jpg

This is my favorite teen humor cover besides the Jetta series. Owen Fitzgerald and Dan Decarlo were the greatest! :cloud9:

This one was a CBCS 4.5 OW. I'm now up to about 35 CBCS slabs that I've resubmitted. A few, after a press, have received the same grade from CGC, But zero -- nada, zilch, nary a one -- has received a higher grade. Most have received lower grades and worse pq.

Still like this book, though! :D

9684889e-4c9f-4bb1-9105-f773bb19e59e_zpsksqoiaqf.jpg

This one was a CBCS 4.5 OW. I'm now up to about 35 CBCS slabs that I've resubmitted. A few, after a press, have received the same grade from CGC, But zero -- nada, zilch, nary a one -- has received a higher grade. Most have received lower grades and worse pq.

Still like this book, though! :D

9684889e-4c9f-4bb1-9105-f773bb19e59e_zpsksqoiaqf.jpg

That book has great eye appeal for a 3.5! :blush:

So does one overgrade or the other undergrade?

Both! :sumo:

touche

Just picked up these two recently....

Beautiful covers. (thumbs u I never realized how similar Basil Wolverton's Robert Crumb's style is to Robert Crumb Basil Wolverton .

FTFY.

Wolverton was much admired by some of the founders of the Underground movement.