• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seth Rogen to make Preacher for AMC?

485 posts in this topic

It's just unnecessarily too different from the source material. I will keep watching, but I think it will be cancelled before we ever see a season 2.

I highly doubt it will be canceled before a second season.

Now that Game of Thrones is is over Preacher might gain some traction.

Not having read the series, I guess I am less tied to those stories so I am looking at this with fresh eyes. I'm enjoying it so far. But I also feel at times they are dragging it out a tad.

How is the portrayal of Tulip conveying compared to the comics?

Not having read the series, I guess I am less tied to those stories so I am looking at this with fresh eyes. I'm enjoying it so far. But I also feel at times they are dragging it out a tad.

How is the portrayal of Tulip conveying compared to the comics?

Tulip is completely different.

I get why they did it, and I'm not annoyed by her character like some, but I do wish they'd have gone closer to the source material in her case. I'm still liking the show, tho.

No way this show gets canceled before season two.

No way this show gets canceled before season two.

That's the unfortunate part about Preacher. The show is really substandard. I've really tried to give it a shot, but it's missing the target on so many levels, it makes Khan look like a sharpshooter.

Tulip's heavy-handed exposition on what makes her tough actually cheapens how she really toughens up in the book. I understand that Seth Rogen's (or whomever) desire to ram the "strong woman" archetype down our throats, they really screw it up with Tulip's character. The book had slow-played it in such a way that you love Tulip as a person, not a personification of an idea.

Sheriff Root and Arseface's relationship is totally watered down to the point that regardless of where they go with it, no one will care. Sheriff Root's character himself is uninteresting and boring - again - going so far off the source material, the end result sucks. In the books, Sheriff Root is the embodiment of so many hilarious stereotypes and he is used as an "everyman's" viewpoint on what's going on. In the show, that whole idea has been ignored.

The story of Quincannon seems forced. I know they are trying to establish the show - but it almost seems that they are cramming in too much. They introduce the Saint's backstory, but totally abandon it. They have something with Jesse's father being a preacher as well (lame). John Wayne is not around. Jesse and Cass - I can give them time to grow on me, but if the rest of the cast isn't working, those two won't either.

All the things that fans have grown to care about in the books have been either ignored or rushed to the point that no one will care when it comes time to care on the show.

I've read and re-read Preacher at least 15 times in 20 years. I adore the entire series and the characters. I was initially really turned off with the characters on the AMC show. Then I tried to go back for another try after the first episode. The fourth episode was almost unbearable to watch, and I've given up. A TV show should be entertaining - not frustrating. To each their own, but I seriously have to wonder how many fans of the source material are okay with the show.

I am 100% an advocate of taking classic stories and putting them on the big screen for consumption. I'm totally okay with converting stories to screen, and the adaptations they have to make. However. Preacher is an exception. It's a rare piece of work that required finesse.

Not only renewed, but expanded season...suck it, haters lol

And yes, I'm a huge fan of the books, read the entire series untold times, have complete sets of the trades and floppies and I'm not the least bit offended by the adaptation.

Can't wait to see where they take it

Just finished watching episode 5.

I'm just not liking the direction this is going.

When I read the comics I always thought of Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip as my friends. I liked the three of them. I cared about what happened to them in the story.

After 5 episodes I'm not sure that I like any of the 3 of them. The one I like the least might be Jesse, and he's the one we're supposed to like the most.

After what he did to Eugene, he better turn this thing around really quick or no one is going to like him. The show will crash and burn very fast if the viewers can't stand the Preacher.

I find it ironic that the young Eugene understands the concept of "choice" better than the Preacher.

Edited by gadzukes

When I read the comics I always thought of Jesse, Cassidy, and Tulip as my friends. I liked the three of them. I cared about what happened to them in the story.

After 5 episodes I'm not sure that I like any of the 3 of them. The one I like the least might be Jesse, and he's the one we're supposed to like the most.

After what he did to Eugene, he better turn this thing around really quick or no one is going to like him. The show will crash and burn very fast if the viewers can't stand the Preacher.

I find it ironic that the young Eugene understands the concept of "choice" better than the Preacher.

This show is on the bubble for me. I thought about dropping it after tonight's episode, though I'm interested enough in what happens to Eugene to come back. Eugene and Cassidy are the only two characters that are at all interesting to me.

Since there's only ten (?) episodes this season, I may just see it through to the end, but, unless it gets meaningfully better from here, I'd say it's probable that I'll drop out after that.

Eh, it is pretty plain to see that Jesse's lack of understanding of man's ability to choose is being used as a plot vehicle.

He is being shown as full of himself, in order for him to be forcibly shown that he is misusing his power.

Sending Arseface to Hell will certaimly be the catalyst for Jesse to take stock of what he is doing wrong and what he should be doing with his power.

I think that by the end of this season, the driving plot of the comic will be revealed and (loosely) mirrored in the show.

That being, to track down God and to hold Him accountable.

OK. I'm going to admit it. I really like watching these series so far.

Full disclaimer though, I've never read the series.

I have read the books and I like the TV show. My wife has not read the books and she is a fan as well.

The only character we can't stand is Tulip. If she was killed off as a deviation from the plot that would be fine with me. I can't stand the way she is being written and am not a fan of the actress either.

Tonight's episode was the best so far IMHO. The beginning was insanely fun. lol

Edited by kimik

OK. I'm going to admit it. I really like watching these series so far.

Full disclaimer though, I've never read the series.

I have read the books and I like the TV show. My wife has not read the books and she is a fan as well.

The only character we can't stand is Tulip. If she was killed off as a deviation from the plot that would be fine with me. I can't stand the way she is being written and am not a fan of the actress either.

Tonight's episode was the best so far IMHO. The beginning was insanely fun. lol

I lost track of how many times I laughed in last night's episode. lol