• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a comic room??? Showcase it here!
48 48

10,294 posts in this topic

Quick panorama...

27757638785_1144346970_h.jpg

And two low light level phone snaps of the back of my home theater...

27757638675_f8f172c26c_b.jpg

27757638595_77c50db1ac_b.jpg

Very clean set up. :applause:

It does appeal to my OCD. :golfclap:

very nice :applause:

Quick panorama...

27757638785_1144346970_h.jpg

And two low light level phone snaps of the back of my home theater...

27757638675_f8f172c26c_b.jpg

27757638595_77c50db1ac_b.jpg

Very clean set up. :applause:

It does appeal to my OCD. :golfclap:

very nice :applause:

Let see the rest of the room. Tv or projector?

It's all about exposure time with that.

As discussed before, if it's in a dark room that blocks most light even in the middle of the day (or a windowless room) and you are only in that room a few hours per month, it's no more light exposure in a year than wall books would get at a convention over a weekend.

Cause the big difference is that bluish green art on the diner wall is exposed to direct sunlight & overhead florescent or incandescent light for multitudes of hours per day more than my books on the wall get exposed to every month.

It's all about exposure time with that.

As discussed before, if it's in a dark room that blocks most light even in the middle of the day (or a windowless room) and you are only in that room a few hours per month, it's no more light exposure in a year than wall books would get at a convention over a weekend.

Cause the big difference is that bluish green art on the diner wall is exposed to direct sunlight & overhead florescent or incandescent light for multitudes of hours per day more than my books on the wall get exposed to every month.

Well, some of the rooms people are posting have windows in them. Really, it wouldn't cost that much to put a layer of picture framing uv glass over the windows and/or create a uv "box" over a light fixture if it is truly a comic room. Then one could leave the lights on and the curtains pulled back all the time

Edited by labratnotincluded

That's be great if not for the fact that UV "block" in the form of filters or glass/plexi formulations don't work that way. They only slow the rate of exposure, they don't 100% block it, and in truth any light can have fading effects over time.

Much also is in play when it comes to the paper, the inks, etc.

It's why in critical cases (the Star Spangled Banner in the Smithsonian) they keep anything on display under ultra low light conditions, and even then it is only part time. Best bet to prevent fading is zero light exposure. The rest is just happening to varying degrees. Mostly imperceptibly slowly.

My wife loves that my ADD collecting sneaks into our bedroom. There is really too much light to display much of value so I bought a comic stand to put some raws out. It was originally set up to house slabbed books but that lasted about 2 hours after looking at the incoming light.

Comicwall_zpsnxpfxlgm.jpg

Comicroom_zpsto0otqnu.jpg

Holy smokes. Love the GTs, the Claus Grabke (reissue?), and the whole room. Oh, and cool comics too. :)

I'd have been in heaven circa '84.

Ha yes I may have peaked in 84 and got stuck. Claus is a reissue I did have several originals but when they skyrocketed I exited and bought the re issues.

My wife loves that my ADD collecting sneaks into our bedroom. There is really too much light to display much of value so I bought a comic stand to put some raws out. It was originally set up to house slabbed books but that lasted about 2 hours after looking at the incoming light.

looks to me you like you have a great wife and comics (thumbs u a killer combo

That's be great if not for the fact that UV "block" in the form of filters or glass/plexi formulations don't work that way. They only slow the rate of exposure, they don't 100% block it, and in truth any light can have fading effects over time.

Much also is in play when it comes to the paper, the inks, etc.

It's why in critical cases (the Star Spangled Banner in the Smithsonian) they keep anything on display under ultra low light conditions, and even then it is only part time. Best bet to prevent fading is zero light exposure. The rest is just happening to varying degrees. Mostly imperceptibly slowly.

Very true, but I'm thinking nothing really noticeable in someone's collecting lifetime. Long term/conservation wise, I wholeheartedly agree.

UPDATE: I did find an experiment someone did where it appears the UV glass didn't offer any kind of protection. It was from 2002 and I didn't see where they mentioned the brand. I may have to conduct my own experiment using some throwaway darker comic covers. Anyways, here's the link: http://www.ukiyoe-gallery.com/sunfade.htm

and this is an interesting discussion on the subject: http://www.thegrumble.com/index.php?threads/uv-rays-glass-and-pompous-physics-majors.504/

Edited by labratnotincluded

Very nice! Break it out whenever you bring out the fine China! :thumbsup: